View Full Version : Is this a VERY ULF Camera Bed?

01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Wondering through a huge antique store in Chicago this last weekend, I stumbled on this. Tagged as an 'antique camera' and nothing else, i decided this must be a bed for VERY large bellows camera.

In the lower right corner of the bed, running towards the back (towads the maniquin) is a flat gear rack. There is a solid steel bar (the cross section would be a 1/2 circle) that runs on top of the right and left wood rails of the top frame. The top wood frame is attached to the lower wood frame via a coiled steel spring and the spring is attached to a caster that is attached to the lower frame. Under each of the wood rails is a solid steel bar that is connected to each end and in the in the shape of an inverted 'V'. The two ends have a nut and jam nut.

The length is about 14' and the width is about 2'. It is about 18" high from floor to top of the top frame.

I have attached an annotated drawing to help with the description.

Anyone know what this is for?

01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Bed of an old copy camera? Horizontal enlarger?

01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Sure looks and sounds like a copy camera/horizontal enlarger. Must have been a HUGE camera though - at least 11x14 if not bigger.

01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
This could be an old Bob sled from the 1924. Olympics :)

01-10-2013, 12:26 AM
on each side under the top rail is what appears to be a tension adjustment bar with nut and jam nut on each end in an inverted 'V' configuration. what would that be used for? And, I love those 4 coil (literally) springs. I have never seen a coil spring like that. Did you bother to shake the top section of the frame? The springs are very effective.