PDA

View Full Version : Small Print Exchange - Round 4

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

delphine
01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Hello all !

I really ought to log in the forum more often. I'd like to join in again, please.

Dee

rst
01-31-2013, 08:31 AM
Hello all !

I really ought to log in the forum more often. I'd like to join in again, please.

Dee

Welcome.

OK, everybody can the possible groups themselves.

Alan (Alan W)
Andrew (andrew.roos)
Craig (ccross)
Dee (delphine)
Eugene (anikin)
hgernhardt
Laurent (Laurent)
Loren (Loren Sattler)
Mike (mjs)
Mike (Mike Wilde)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Rachelle (mooseontheloose)
Ruediger (rst)
Steve (BoxBrownie)

Anybody else? We still have a few hours to sign-up.

Cheers
Ruediger

hgernhardt
01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
I'd like to join in again, please.

Can't help itů In the immortal words of Thorin:

A splendid lucky number you've found us, Gandalf!

My apologies to those who don't care much for the Rankin Bass rendition. :whistling:

rst
02-01-2013, 02:31 AM
OK, here we go, sign-up for this round is closed now and here is the list of participants for this round:

Alan (Alan W)
Andrew (andrew.roos)
Craig (ccross)
Dee (delphine)
Eugene (anikin)
Henry (hgernhardt)
Laurent (Laurent)
Loren (Loren Sattler)
Mike (mjs)
Mike (Mike Wilde)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Ruediger (rst)
Steve (BoxBrownie)

We are 14 and that makes for two groups of four and two groups of three. Let me turn on my random number generator ...

Cheers
Ruediger

rst
02-01-2013, 02:50 AM
OK, tried to take into account the groupings of the previous round and came up with the following:

GROUP 1
Andrew (andrew.roos)
Steve (BoxBrownie)
Alan (Alan W)

GROUP 2
Mike (Mike Wilde)
Craig (ccross)
Ruediger (rst)
Loren (Loren Sattler)

GROUP 3
Eugene (anikin)
Dee (delphine)
Henry (hgernhardt)

GROUP 4
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Laurent (Laurent)
Mike (mjs)

So the next step is that you send your address data to everyone in your group.

Cheers
Ruediger

paul_c5x4
02-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Done. Just got to find a suitable neg - Got one in mind, if only I could remember where it was filed.

rst
02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
... if only I could remember where it was filed.Hah! I am not alone!

Cheers
Ruediger

rst
02-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Today I received a very nice print from Mike Wilde of Abandon Bascule Railway Bridge. I like the subject and your framing it. Also the tones and contrast is just great. The only thing I wonder is that brownish pattern near the top left corner of the image. It looks a little bit like marks from a screen. Do you dry your prints face down on screens? But anyway, I have no idea why that should turn into brown.

And btw, your documentation is a good and interesting read.

Thanks and cheers
Ruediger

Mike Wilde
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the kind comments Ruediger.

Yes, I dried these prints face down on a screen to try to control curl.
Low relative humidity this time of the year here has a lot of FB prints going curly on me presently unless dried face down.

I thought that I had washed the screens well after doing a cyanotype coating run.
Ocassionally some sensitiser gets on the back of the prints since I coat with a rod.

Hence some can get onto the drying screens when the sheets are laid out to dry there, and why I wash my screens.

That I suspect is where the brown comese from.
The ferri-ferro prussian blue dye in the dark looks to have broken down to plain old iron oxide that worked its way into the soft wet gelatin face of the print.

Sorry I did not notice this before the print got out in the mail.

Mike Wilde
02-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the kind comments Ruediger.

Yes, I dried these prints face down on a screen to try to control curl.
Low relative humidity this time of the year here has a lot of FB prints going curly on me presently unless dried face down.

I thought that I had washed the screens well after doing a cyanotype coating run.
Ocassionally some sensitiser gets on the back of the prints since I coat with a rod.

Hence some can get onto the drying screens when the sheets are laid out to dry there, and why I wash my screens.

That I suspect is where the brown comese from.
The ferri-ferro prussian blue dye in the dark looks to have broken down to plain old iron oxide that worked its way into the soft wet gelatin face of the print.

Sorry I did not notice this before the print got out in the mail.

Mike Wilde
02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Sorry for the double post. Computer froze just as posting

rst
02-14-2013, 04:13 AM
... The ferri-ferro prussian blue dye in the dark looks to have broken down to plain old iron oxide that worked its way into the soft wet gelatin face of the print.
Thanks for the explanation Mike, that makes perfect sense.

Hah! Then I have a rusty print of an hopefully not so rusty bridge :)

Cheers
Ruediger

BoxBrownie
03-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Just a note to tell Group 1:
Rachelle ,Andrew and Alan that my prints are done and going in the post tomorrow.
Best Regards,
Steve B

mooseontheloose
03-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Just a note to tell Group 1:
Rachelle ,Andrew and Alan that my prints are done and going in the post tomorrow.
Best Regards,
Steve B

Good to know Steve!

Guys, my prints are done but I didn't get a chance to send them before I left for my holidays, I'll do so as soon as I get back mid-March.

BoxBrownie
03-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Posted, hooray :-)

Mike Wilde
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
About a week ago I got a very nice well mounted widelux captured sunrise from Loren Sattler.

It currently sits atop the piano. My son is occupying the work bench painting his cub car presently.
When that is done I can get the use of my bench back and cut down a frame to suit this image and hang it properly.

mjs
03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
My prints were mailed today. Both go overseas, so it'll likely be a while before they show up.

Mike

mooseontheloose
03-18-2013, 09:57 PM
I received Steve's "Down by the Jetty" yesterday, which is a different interpretation than the print he sent in the postcard exchange. Unfortunately, because I had a months worth of mail waiting for me, the postman didn't bother knocking on my door to give me the rather large package that included not only this print but everything else, he just shoved it in my mailbox as best he could. Which bent the mat horribly. The picture is mostly okay, but I can't get it out since it's all glued together. I hope I can figure something out -- it's a nice print. Thanks!

BoxBrownie
03-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Oh dear, shame about the matt but at least the photo sounds salvageable. The matt is attached with glue dots to the backing board at about 6 points or so around the edge so you should be able to slide a knife around it without damaging the picture. The photo itself is just lightly taped to the matt board along the top side if I remember correctly. I suppose it's always a risk sending this sort of thing by mail but I hoped the bubble wrap and extra card would be protection enough. At least it arrived :-) that's something to be thankful for.

mooseontheloose
03-19-2013, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I think it should be okay. It would have been totally fine if it hadn't been for the damn postman! :(