PDA

View Full Version : Small Print Exchange - Round 4

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Alan W
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Rachelle,Andrew ,Steve, I just got back from mailing three prints,should take about 2 weeks to reach you,they're all different.I worked with about 8 negatives and finally decided on a different one for each person.Steve your print arrived on Thursday of this week,and I'm enjoying it!It's a beautifully toned print with a timeless quality to it.It has the feel of an early morning shot ,though there seems to be a lot going on under the concrete overhang-is this a restaurant?i'm gonna go and look some more-thanks,Alan.

BoxBrownie
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Hi Alan, it's actually a passenger ferry jetty that takes people across to the mainland just about a 10 minute ride. Looking forward to receiving your print.
Regards
Steve

andrew.roos
03-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Just a note to tell Group 1:
Rachelle ,Andrew and Alan that my prints are done and going in the post tomorrow.
Best Regards,
Steve B

Steve thanks I received your lovely print "Down by the Jetty" today. It's a lovely moody photo which, for me, juxtaposes material decay with a spirit of hope. The building is run-down and moldy, as you note; yet the man appears to be looking out to the misty river with expectation, not despair. He stands erect and his clean white shirt evokes pride, not surrender to the decay which surrounds him. The boat appears to be in good condition, and is perhaps a passenger ferry or tour boat with which he earns his living. The tonality supports this interpretation, ranging from high key in the river, with just sufficient definition to give a tantalizing glimpse of the opposite bank, to the darker, brooding foreground. The toning gives it a vintage look; my wife commented that it should be accompanied by Ella Fitzgerald's rendition of "Summertime". All in all a most memorable print, enhanced by the detailed description of your process that accompanied it - thank you!

I have to admit that I have not yet made my prints. However I have a week's leave coming up over Easter and promise to spend a couple of days in the darkroom and get them out.

Andrew

Laurent
03-26-2013, 03:12 PM
My prints were mailed today. Both go overseas, so it'll likely be a while before they show up.

Mike

Your print arrived while I was in the U.S.A (next time I'll come to pick it up ;-) ), and it's gorgeous !!!

Many thanks for this !

mooseontheloose
04-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Alan, your print arrived yesterday and I love it! The boy, the framing, it all works. It has a bit of a timeless quality to it -- thanks so much!

My prints have been done for a while but I was gone on vacation and now busy with the beginning of a school year, but I have finally been able to securely wrap and label them, and they'll all be in the mail tomorrow morning.

Cheers.

Alan W
04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Rachelle,this is a beautiful print.The paper suits the hie-nice shadow detail here.I'm curious as to what type of tree this is.It's got folds in it that make it look like a blanket.The whole thing looks almost like a stage prop-a wonderful photo-thanks a lot!.

mooseontheloose
04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks Alan! I'm no expert on trees, but I think it's a banyan tree. The entire temple complex is full of them!

rst
05-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Mine went to the post office today. Oh sigh, sorry that it took so long.

Cheers
Ruediger

Mike Wilde
05-13-2013, 10:06 AM
A deligtful kallitype landed in my mailbox on Saturday, from Ruediger.
That is ultra strange , because we do not get Saturday postal delivery.
I speculate it went to a neighbour, who dropped it off while we were out.

I like the framing of the baseball, snugged up to flower or weed, and with the way that the stiching is oriented.

Then there is the print itself. Nice contrast, and range of tones.

I am glad you documented it is a pinhole image, becuase I would have never guessed that at first or subsequent viewings.
I guess that is one more project to add ot the long and growing 'I have to try that someday' list.

I like how you have overcoated, and set the image within the larger part of the paper. The torn edges only enhance the hand made motif this image already has.

Another one to be framed and hung in the back hall. I think I will set this one out of direct sunlight though.
I am not sure of the archival nature of your toner, and I want to keep this image around for discussing for a good long time in top shape.

rst
05-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the kind comments Mike. I am glad it arrived safe and, well, I am glad that you like it.

The toner I used is a sulfite toner, so the result should be pretty stable. But I do not have any long term experiences. Next time when I talk to Wolfgang Moersch I will ask him about that toner and toning kallitypes. I used it mostly because I like what it does to the image tone of the kallitype as it shifts image tone a little bit to the neutral side.

Cheers
Ruediger

anikin
05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
I have to apologize to my group for being late with my prints. I promise, I will get it done. It's just been a bit more challenging than I expected.

anikin
05-18-2013, 11:56 PM
I have finally mailed my prints today. Sorry about the delay!

Eugene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Laurent
05-19-2013, 02:36 AM
I still have to find a way to get what I want with the negative I selected. The print is almost fine, but I need some more highlights. I'll try Farmer's reducer and hope it's what will make it shine, but am afraid there could be some more delay.

andrew.roos
05-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Rachelle, Alan W, Steve

My sincere apologies that my prints are so late. The final prints are in the drying rack now after several iterations. I will take them in for mounting on Monday and should have them in the post by Wednesday latest.

Rachelle thank you for the exquisite print. The delicacy if the tree juxtaposed with the strong texture and beautiful tonality of the brickwork is remarkable. Thanks so much!

My sincere apologies once more. My prints will be on their way shortly.

Andrew

paul_c5x4
05-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Feeling like a deadbeat, but finally got the prints packed up and ready to ship - They will be in the post tonight.

andrew.roos
05-23-2013, 04:09 AM
Rachelle, Alan W, Steve

I mailed the prints this morning. I expect them to take about 2 weeks to arrive. Sorry for the delay.

The print is of the Ipithi Falls in the Krantzkloof nature reserve. The Krantzkloof is a deep gorge cut by the Molweni river after which my home town, Kloof, is named. "Ipithi" is Zulu (the local indigenous language) for "duiker", a small antelope that is native to the forested areas of Southern Africa and can be seen in the Krantzkloof. The photograph was shot in 6x4.5 format on Ilford Delta 100, developed in ID-11 (1+1) and printed on Ilford Art 300 fibre paper. It is not toned but was processed according to the "optimum permanence" process in the Art 300 data sheet.

I hope you like it.

Kind Regards
Andrew

mjs
05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Thank you very much for the "Standing Stones, Cumbria" infra-red print, Paul! It must be very interesting to live somewhere one can come across things from vanished cultures.

Mike

mooseontheloose
05-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Rachelle, Alan W, Steve

I mailed the prints this morning. I expect them to take about 2 weeks to arrive. Sorry for the delay.

I hope you like it.

Kind Regards
Andrew

Actually, just a week in my case. Beautiful print Andrew, I really like it. Great image, wonderful tones. Thanks so much!

paul_c5x4
05-30-2013, 05:37 PM
It must be very interesting to live somewhere one can come across things from vanished cultures.

"Standing Stones" are in reality, a pair of gateposts from a stone wall that has long disappeared. Most likely, they are maybe two hundred years old, not the thousands one might associate with something like Stonehenge or the pyramids of Egypt.

Laurent
05-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Feeling like a deadbeat, but finally got the prints packed up and ready to ship - They will be in the post tonight.

I received your print earlier this week, and really like it. Thanks !

I think I have the prints I want to send, but they still need some work (spotting and a bit of reducing to get the highlights rght). I do hope I'll be able to send them earlier next week.