PDA

View Full Version : [Revitalized] Blind Exchange -- Intro

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Ole
01-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Although it's probably difficult and certainly unfair to do, it would probably make things a lot easier if when you send me your address, you use the regular ASCII character set rather than extended characters, superscript, subscript, etc. When I send out the addresses for recipients, I'll be using the PM I was sent, and it's not entirely certain that extended characters will display the same on all computers/typefaces/operating system/browser combinations.

cheers,

-KwM-

Good thing I don't live in Sæbøvåg!

TPPhotog
01-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Me too I could never find the characters never mind spell it :D

dschneller
01-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Count me in please, sounds like fun.

Dave

kwmullet
01-07-2005, 10:20 AM

I guess a workaround, given the fact that there's an unpredictable quality
of character internationalization from machine to machine, is to go ahead and give the address with internationalized characters, then give a brief description of how you typed them, then perhaps you could attach a portion of a screen dump, showing how it looks on your screen, or neatly print out your address and either scan or digicam shoot it and attach a JPEG good enough to print out and use as a mailing label.

(There doesn't appear to be a way to attach a file to a PM, but in "enhanced mode" there is an "insert image" feature)

gr82bart
01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Imagine if you lived in Кременчуц or 問い合わせ or (my favourite) epja\RWc\PQy\ra dIkm<a ?

Regards, Art.
PS This last place is really how it is spelled.

Ole
01-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Imagine if you lived in Кременчуц or 問い合わせ or (my favourite) epja\RWc\PQy\ra dIkm<a ?

Yep - my neighbours in Sæbøvåg have enough problems. Worst of aøø is a young woman there, named Åse Æsøy...

An "international" transliteration of "Sæbøvåg" would be "Saeboevaag". Even uglier :p

John McCallum
01-07-2005, 03:37 PM
We don't have a problem with internationalised characters but we do use lots of them sometimes. Glad I don't live in the small place in the South island of New Zealand called "Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipu kapihimaungahoronuku pokaiwhenuaakitanarahu"
:)
(just wouldn't work in the postcard exchange).

kwmullet
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Yep - my neighbours in Sæbøvåg have enough problems. Worst of aøø is a young woman there, named Åse Æsøy...

An "international" transliteration of "Sæbøvåg" would be "Saeboevaag". Even uglier :p

Yikes! I'm viewing these on a Mac with OS X 10.2.8 with, I believe, all the internationalization characters sets installed, and I'm using Firefox 1.01 as my browser. Even so, I've run into one address someone PMed me where what they were describing wasn't exactly what I saw on my screen.

The way I'm going to convey the addresses to everyone is to just forward them the PM in which the address was conveyed to me. I know some folks in the US who just opt not to install ANY of the internationalized character sets to save space when they're installing their OS. If someone like that running Win95 or Win98 were to display that address in not-anywhere-near-a-current-browser I have no idea if what would be displayed on their screen would resemble something sufficient to reach our friends outside the US.

Of course, I don't want to come off sound like one of those "If english was good enuf for God to write the bible in, it's good enough for me" yahoos. Hopefully, I've presented adequate alternatives for conveying international addresses that everyone, regardless of the install state of the operating system or quality of their browser, will be able to easily know to where they should send their photography.

-KwM-

kwmullet
01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
It would probably be good to mention at this point that the gallery titled "The Print Exchange Gallery" is not directly associated with the blind exchange. Two different things.

As close as I can tell (haven't spent a lot of time reading the thread) the idea behind the print exchange gallery is that folks post an image of a print they'd like to trade with another member, so members can shop around for someone with whom they would like to exchange prints.

The idea beind the blind exchange is that each person is given the name of someone randomly chosen from the list of participants. They would then send that person one analog photography "product", be it a print, contact sheet, slide or negative.

To find out more about The Print Exchange Gallery, visit this this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4783&page=1&pp=40).

To find out more about The Blind Exchange, read the first message in this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11421).

-KwM-

andrewmoodie
01-08-2005, 06:45 AM
Please count me in. I've PM'd my details already but I did that without joining this string first. Let me know if you want me to send them again or whatever. I'm looking forward to doing my first exchange.

gr82bart
01-08-2005, 03:53 PM
"If english was good enuf for God to write the bible in, it's good enough for me" yahoos.

:D LMAO!

mikeg
01-10-2005, 07:48 AM
I'd like to join as well please.

Cheers

Mike

MCHickman
01-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Here's the list I have so far of folks who've expressed an interest in participating in the February round of the blind exchange. I'll send out PMs to them right after finishing this message to get their particulars.

February Blind Exchange

================================================
Member Date of Status Status
------------------------------------------------
BWGirl 12-28-2004 expressed interest
gr82bart 12-27-2004 espressed interest
Jeremy Moore 12-27-2004 expressed interest
JMoore 12-28-2004 expressed interest
John McCallum 12-27-2004 expressed interest
kwmullet 12-27-2004 moderator
matt miller 12-28-2004 expressed interest
mikeb_z5 12-27-2004 expressed interest
Ole 12-28-2004 expressed interest
oriecat 12-27-2004 expressed interest
================================================
count me in very interested in print exchange--MCHickman

BruceN
01-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Sign me up, please!

c6h6o3
01-11-2005, 08:31 PM
me too...I especially like the idea of sending out one photograph as opposed to 23, which is a damnable lot of work.

Nige
01-11-2005, 08:59 PM
but you 'should' get 23 back, instead of one... :)

TPPhotog
01-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Bump - just keeping this one in view and the thought processes going :)

TPPhotog
01-31-2005, 04:26 PM
February is almost with us and is for those who live in the part of the world where the clocks are all fast :D Can I ask what's the latest situation on this one please.

kwmullet
02-01-2005, 12:12 AM
(*BUMP*)

Anyone who might be interested that hasn't already done so, please read the first note in this thread and drop me a PM with your full mailing address exactly as it should appear in mail sent to you through the postal system. I'll be using your PM to forward your address to whoever you're matched with in the blind exchange. Any analog photography product (slide, negative, contact sheet, proof, custom print, alt process, etc.) is fair game as an object of the exchange, so strictly speaking, it isn't just a "print" exchange. I suspect, though, that most folks will probably be exchanging prints.

Sometime between now and 7 February, I'll lock the participant list and post it to see if I neglected anyone. Around the 7th, I'll PM everyone with the address of their pseudo-randomly assigned recipient. If there's an even number of participants, I'll participate in the exchange. If not, I'll ask if someone wants to send two items, and I'll exchange with them.

-KwM-

BWGirl
02-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Sounds like a plan, Kevin!