PDA

View Full Version : Photostock 2013 - Here We Go Again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

jamie young
06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Looking forward to heading out there. Dorothy - Unless somethings changed, no venders, just other photographers. Showing prints at night. Going out and shooting with others during the day. I'm not sure what Bill has planned, but I'll be doing a panoramic presentation one night, and hopefully shooting a group portrait with my cirkut one day whenever we do a group shot. The up is great so lots of people will head up there. Can't wait to see everyone!

Darkroom317
06-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Packing. Can't wait!

KennyMark
06-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Jim,
I have to ask, why the misspelling of Mackinac?
Ken (downstate where the windmills are)

Mackinaw
06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Jim,
I have to ask, why the misspelling of Mackinac?
Ken (downstate where the windmills are)

For pronunciation purposes. The correct spelling, Mackinac, is pronounced by most non-Michiganders as Mack-in-ack, which, of course, is wrong. By spelling it as Mack-in-awe, people say it right.

For all of you reading this, this is a Michigan thing.

Jim B.

wildbill
06-18-2013, 10:05 AM
For pronunciation purposes. The correct spelling, Mackinac, is pronounced by most non-Michiganders as Mack-in-ack, which, of course, is wrong. By spelling it as Mack-in-awe, people say it right.

For all of you reading this, this is a Michigan thing.

Jim B.

that's funny.

KennyMark
06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi Jim,
That is what I expected, phonetics.
Now, for the benefit of all, another Michigan thing. Look at the palm of your right hand, touch the tip of your middle finger. That's the place we're talking about. Mackinac (MACK-in-aw), including Mackinac City, the Straits of Mackinac, Mackinac Island, the Mackinac Bridge (2nd longest suspension bridge in the world), Fort Michilimackinac, and one of the highest per-capita densities of fudge merchants I've ever seen. Also the demarcation line between the land of Uppers (Yoopers) in the U.P. or Upper Penisula and Trolls, who live "below the bridge" in the Lower Penisula.
I claim dual citizenship as I've lived in Holland all of my life, and own property on Drummond Island.
Ken

Axle
06-18-2013, 07:41 PM
I think I'm good.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5325/9081112694_816ff34bf2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle81401/9081112694/)

zsas
06-18-2013, 07:48 PM
That's it?! :) C'mon you can bring that Super-8 again

eclarke
06-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Don't forget Darrow's for pie....

Hi Jim,
That is what I expected, phonetics.
Now, for the benefit of all, another Michigan thing. Look at the palm of your right hand, touch the tip of your middle finger. That's the place we're talking about. Mackinac (MACK-in-aw), including Mackinac City, the Straits of Mackinac, Mackinac Island, the Mackinac Bridge (2nd longest suspension bridge in the world), Fort Michilimackinac, and one of the highest per-capita densities of fudge merchants I've ever seen. Also the demarcation line between the land of Uppers (Yoopers) in the U.P. or Upper Penisula and Trolls, who live "below the bridge" in the Lower Penisula.
I claim dual citizenship as I've lived in Holland all of my life, and own property on Drummond Island.
Ken

Axle
06-19-2013, 06:19 AM
That's it?! :) C'mon you can bring that Super-8 again

Sadly I only have two cartridges of Super 8 stock in my fridge, and they're earmarked for a return Chicago trip next month! I will be shooting (digital) video this year!

wildbill
06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
If anyone hasn't found accomodations, my folks have a last minute opening at one of their guest houses $65/night. Pm me for details. This is the same property in cross village where Jim, Daniel, and Cody have stayed for the last few years.

jmxphoto
06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Anybody have a roll or two of iso400 B&W 120 film I could buy at PStock? I'm out and I have a camera I wanna bring that kinda needs it.

eclarke
06-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Anybody have a roll or two of iso400 B&W 120 film I could buy at PStock? I'm out and I have a camera I wanna bring that kinda needs it.

Sure do, I brought about 50 rolls of TMY and some HP5..

jmxphoto
06-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Sure do, I brought about 50 rolls of TMY and some HP5..

Whatcha want for 1-3 rolls of the TMY?

Thomas Bertilsson
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
If you have the time for Grand Sable Dunes, it's pretty spectacular, but requires a day trip from Harbor Springs.
Take 123 North, get on 28 West and 77 North until you get to Grand Marais. 70545
Pardon the crappy iPhone snap.

KennyMark
06-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Bill,
If the planets align and work and family permit it, I might come up for part of the day on Friday. I can't stay over but would like to meet some good people and do some shooting. Do you want me to register even if I'm a tentative attendee at this point?
Also, if I arrived late in the morning on Friday would everyone be out scouring the beaches, white pine forests, and Seney wilderness for photon reflectors or is there usually someone around at the Photostock world headquarters?
Cross Village is a solid 4 hour ride for me so I think realistically I'd be around from roughly 11 AM until 3 or 4 PM. There's no doubt that it would be worthwhile if there are people, but I'd hate to show up to find an empty camp.
Opinion?
TIA,
Ken

djkloss
06-20-2013, 12:26 AM
i am soooooooooooo ready for this!!! can't wait to meet everyone! see you soon :)

Toffle
06-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Kenny, judging by the response to this year's event, you are likely to find people swarming around like ants for pretty much the entire weekend. If you want to do some shooting, follow a jeep or just pick a side road.

Cheers,
Tom

jmxphoto
06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Ugh, my lower back just got sooper cranky. I'm not backing out yet, still preparing in fact. But if it's worse tomorrow I might have to. Assuming I can make it up, I'll probably be in rough shape, but I've attended every PStock since 2007 so I'm determined!

mjs
06-23-2013, 07:58 PM
My son Joe and I got back from Photostock a few hours ago. We had a wonderful time and I have 20 new 4x5 negatives to develop. We met many old friends and many new ones and the cookout was a hoot! The new workshop facility is going to be a photographer's destination for the entire Midwest and eastern Canada. Many thanks to Bill for a ton of exhausting work, to Bill's family for putting up with a large group of rather focused people, and to everyone I met for being wonderful!

Mike