PDA

View Full Version : Photostock 2013 - Here We Go Again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

DavidBrunell
06-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Wow, What a great time! I will be attending from now on if possible. Thank you to all you veterans for making me feel at home. I really enjoyed the conversations and everyone's work really blew me away...Simply amazing. What a great trip!

TheFlyingCamera
06-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Wow. What a weekend. Still decompressing and trying to absorb it all. It was so cool getting to meet so many folks I only knew of virtually before. I'd name names but I know I would leave out too many deserving folks, so I'll just say a giant thanks to everyone who came and helped make it an unforgettable weekend.

Pictures will be posted later of my post-Photostock solo adventure to Oneal Lake and the ensuing extraction by tow truck it required.

DavidBrunell
06-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Wow. What a weekend. Still decompressing and trying to absorb it all. It was so cool getting to meet so many folks I only knew of virtually before. I'd name names but I know I would leave out too many deserving folks, so I'll just say a giant thanks to everyone who came and helped make it an unforgettable weekend.

Pictures will be posted later of my post-Photostock solo adventure to Oneal Lake and the ensuing extraction by tow truck it required.

Oh no! That sucks! That sand hill leading down to the lake was unforgiving. I don't think you were the only one to get stuck, there was a jeep buried to the axle on Friday afternoon. It was good to meet you at any rate!

Photographica
06-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Great time at Photostock 2013! My first.
i burned through a bunch of 4x5 but that was only second to the opportunity to see some incredible photo work. Every day I got to look at some of the best art this community has to offer. Saturday had to be the highlight of the trip during and after the print exchange. Many brought out their prints to show and discuss... inspiring...

I think there were around 50 prints exchanged on Saturday. That means 50 people brought a print to swap. What an experience!
Bill Riley

PS: Thanks for the print Scott!

Toffle
06-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Best
Photostock
EVER

I had an amazing time with old and new friends, and have come away totally inspired by the amazing portfolios that were on display this weekend. I honestly feel that the prints lined up for the largest print exchange in Photostock history were worthy of a show in any photographic gallery in the country.

12 months to Photostock 2014.

Mackinaw
06-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I only had the opportunity to stop by for a few hours on Friday and Saturday. The quality of some of the prints I looked at during the print exchange Saturday afternoon was excellent, even humbling. Some very talented photographers out there. Looking forward to Photostock 2014.

Jim B.

Jeff Bannow
06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I have to agree with everyone here - the event was fantastic, the prints were amazing, but the company was the best part. Big, big thanks to Bill for arranging this event again this year. Photostock 2014 is already on my calendar!

Axle
06-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Fantastic Time, great to see old friends and make new ones. Again HUGE thanks to Bill, you throw one hell of a party.

Now to wash car, then process process process! Plus edit the video.

Bronica John
06-24-2013, 06:49 PM
What a great event! This was my first Photostock and I now hope to make it back each year. Thanks to Bill Schwab for putting it together. Thanks also to everybody in attendance for making a first time attendee feel at home. Truly an amazing bunch of people!!

David Brown
06-24-2013, 06:51 PM
How many were there?

djkloss
06-24-2013, 08:20 PM
This was a truly amazing event. Thanks for everything Bill & Kathy! thanks Jeff, Eva, Dan & Silke for sharing your room with me. I had a wonderful time. Next time I will NOT get lost! :)

Andrew Moxom
06-24-2013, 09:07 PM
David... About 70 people were there.

rbender
06-24-2013, 10:17 PM
David... About 70 people were there.

From all over Canada and US. Great time was had by all. Thanks Bill !!!!
Hope to see everyone in 2014 :)

TheFlyingCamera
06-25-2013, 02:08 AM
Oh no! That sucks! That sand hill leading down to the lake was unforgiving. I don't think you were the only one to get stuck, there was a jeep buried to the axle on Friday afternoon. It was good to meet you at any rate!

It was terrific to meet everyone. Nary a single bad conversation to be had. While I was stuck, I watched a guy with a Chevy Blazer whose front axle was no longer receiving power almost get stuck, and a pickup truck with 4wd struggle a bit. Both of them stopped to lament the fact that they didn't have a towing strap with them that day and offer condolences. Given how far off the shoulder I was, I'm glad they didn't try to pull me out and I waited for the tow truck. I'm now poorer but wiser for the experience.

Final roll count for the four days on the ground -
7 rolls Ilford Delta 400
1 roll Ilford HP5+
3 rolls Kodak Ektar 100
2 rolls Kodak Portra 160
1 roll Kodak Portra 400

The jumble of color film was because I was trying to burn off some odd ends of pro packs.

I also got what may well turn out to be my new avatar - a photo of me with my pair of Rolleiflexes, and the Rolleis are wearing my Wayfarers :)

jpreston
06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
This event will most certainly be on my calendar for 2014! Bill - do you plan on having any workshops at your new facility any time this year?

Jeff

Bruce Osgood
06-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Bill,
I couldn't make 2013 because of ongoing obligations at that time of the year but from reading these early reviews I will be moving heaven and earth to make it in 2014.
Keep the info flowing.

Thomas Bertilsson
06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I got back to St Paul last night after eight days of magic. First: Thanks to Bill for his outstanding and relentless enthusiasm, as well as the generous support for the community of photography and the arts. It's about time some good news hits photography, with all that we read about professional photographers having a hard time. This is a really good thing that is happening! It was an honor and a pleasure to be at the inauguration of the new workshop facility, and to spend that time among friends, old ones and new ones. What a magical time! So much fun.

Heidi and I drove around in the Michigan Upper Peninsula for five days prior to the event, and camped at JW Wells State Park, Indian Lake State Park, and two nights in Grand Marais. We saw the mouth of the Two Hearted River, the Grand Sable Dunes, the Au Sable Light Stateion, and the shores of both Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. It's with mixed feelings we travel through there, because of the destitute economical conditions as well as the utterly beautiful and pristine nature. I don't think it's possible to make up a place so beautiful.

Both of us have appreciated the kindness, humor, and generosity of all the other visitors, and the extremely patient folks at the beautiful Birchwood Inn, where most of this rogue posse of photographers stay during the event. All I can say is that you should have seen the mountain of recycled glass after the event... :)
It's been so nice to rekindle some old friendships, to finally meet some old online friends in person, and also to meet a few new people. What a great bunch of people! It's a real privilege to spend time with all of you.

The program was really great this year. Really interesting presentations from four remarkably talented women, and Jamie Young gave (from what I hear, I sadly missed it) a great presentation surrounding Cirkut cameras. With no offense meant to Jamie at all, it was great to see so many female presenters, because even though there are female gear-heads too, most women that I know that are photographers are remarkably good at simply doing what they love without obsessing about what camera, film, developer, etc, to use. That provided for presentations largely geared toward the passion of making photographs, which I thought was incredibly inspiring and fun.

It's great to hang out with all of these people, and on top of that you are in one of the most beautiful places that are, with your camera equipment, and you can go photograph it whenever you want to. With changing conditions we had clear blue skies, fog, an incredible full moon rise, and overcast conditions that are perfect for shooting in the pristine woods in the area. It doesn't get much better than that from a perspective of being a lover of nature and photography at the same time.

Finally I'd like to shout out to the Schwab family. Thank you for putting your time and energy into this event, and being such wonderful hosts.

Now let's see what my 27 rolls of film might have on them... It might take me more than a year to get around to printing them. :)

Axle
06-26-2013, 07:22 PM
A couple teasers...the Type-55 4x5 shots.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5342/9147776832_0051b3a4b6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle81401/9147776832/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5550/9147780182_cc46c83071_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle81401/9147780182/)

The rest of the 4x5 will have to wait until I upgrade my Scanner.
>_>
<_<

Thomas Bertilsson
06-26-2013, 08:15 PM
First four rolls out of the wash looking pretty good. Four more tonight... Fun and exciting to see what gives!

Mackinaw
06-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Friday evening.

Jim B.