PDA

View Full Version : Agfa is going to supply films to a former Kodak film division

AgX
01-14-2013, 06:28 AM
The new owner of Kodak's microfilm division (sold by Kodak last year) has made a supply contract with Agfa on the supply of Agfa's microfilms to them becoming effective within the next half year.
Furthermore the introduction of new products by Agfa for this business is indicated.

Agfa's films will be sold under the (Kodak-registered) tradename "Imagelink".

It has not been stated of or when Kodak will end supplying microfilms. However Agfa speaks of a significant increase in production, which implies that Kodak is retracting from such manufacture, if not already done.

Basically this means that Agfa takes over former Kodak's share on the worldmarket productionwise.

Seemingly Agfa will still be offering their microfilms directly which would mean that worlwide both companies would compete with the same films.

Wheras Agfa left the consumer field in 2004, Kodak did the last years the opposite by selling bit by bit their non-consumer film productions.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
I dont know what is microfilm , is it for minox , smaller or bigger. Who uses microfilm , libraries , dentists or 8mm shooters.
I love Agfa products most and its good to see they are manufacturing.

And a camera with long roll of micro size film would be decrease my costs and increase the quality and count.
I still want to Buy a Leicina and 8 mm film and shoot thousands of frames one by one.

Can you shed a light little bit AgX ?

Thank you very much,

Umut

AgX
01-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Microfilms are high-resolution films, mostly halide films. Films for mircro-copying, that is exposing images extremely reduced in size.
They have been used in most different fields, either for archiving (typically spooled films) or distributing (microfiche).

Digital data processing and storing has taken part of the market for microfilms. However due to its longterm stability microfilm is ideal for archiving, especially as security copy.

Those high-resolution films for pictorial use are typically based on microfilms with modified development.

AgX
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
At Agfa it is assumed that this contract will necessitate additional 10-15 jobs (out 12.000).
However in the longrun this add-up will be outbalanced by a forthgoing reduction of the number of employees at their chemical plant due the decline of sales of film in general.

Brian C. Miller
03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Microfilm is for things like long term document archival, like newspaper archives. When I was a kid I could go to the library, look up a paper in the index, and pull the microfilm reels for the year. There were microfilm machines that you could wind up on it for viewing. Last time I was at the library, there weren't any machines, the archives weren't there, and the online archives only went back a few years. Welcome to the digital age. "We Won't Remember It For You" (A take on Philip K. Dick's, "We Will Remember It For You, Wholesale")

AgX
06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Agfa has meanwhile transfered the sale of their microfilms solely to that company (Eastman Park Micrographics).
All Agfa microfilms will now bear the former Kodak designation Imagelink.

wblynch
06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if AGFA could supply E-6 reversal film for Kodak to sell to us in Ektachrome's absence ?

AgX
06-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Well, you can buy Agfa E-6 film, depending on format, either directly from Agfa or from converting companies.

But as still photography's Kodak is New Kodak now, a new entity as with that microfilm department... who knows.

polyglot
06-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Should be good for the continuing availability of CMS20, for those who are into it.

Truzi
06-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, will Agfa be replacing Kodak's film with theirs (which I'm guessing) or will they coat to the same or similar specs to Kodak microfilm? In other words, Agfa in a Kodak box, or Kodak made by Agfa?

AgX
06-20-2013, 03:42 AM
All these things are not quite clear. It is not even clear whether Agfa will sell their films on their own behalf or just produce them for Eastman Park Micrographics.
In their lates press release they only speak of that company as distributor.

Though as you indicated it is hard to believe that they crank up production based on new (Kodak) formulae.

The only thing that seems clear is that Kodak (new or old Kodak) will no longer manufacture those films as Agfa spoke of increase of their production.