PDA

View Full Version : C-41 120 Processing at Walmart Jan 2013

Pages : [1] 2

Apugabug
01-22-2013, 01:32 PM
My first post here. I wanted to share an my experience in case others have similar ideas. I dropped off a roll of 120 color print film for processing about 2.5 weeks ago at my local Walmart as an experiment. Marked special instructions to develop only, no CDs, no prints. There are warnings that negatives will NOT be returned. I knew this warning applied to 35mm, and was hoping that it would not be "honored" with 120. Well today, I received my developed film back cut and sleeved. Price before tax was $0.84. I am sure there are risks of losing your film with this approach. But it's hard to argue with that the price.

Curious if an others have had similar experience they would share. BTW, I also within the last month used walmart for 35mm e-6 processing. Wasn't as cheap, I think about $6, but I received my slides back in cardboard mounts in about the same time frame. Of course these technically weren't "negatives". Though I doubt you would have much luck explaining that at walmart.

I plan to try them out again. I don't know if these experiences can be counted on.

Apugabug
01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Can't argue that you accept a certain amout of risk using Walmart. It really becomes a question of risk vs reward. (Of course any option carries some risk.) One point of clarification: my posted experience is with the send out service. Walmart is not really doing anything with your film other than sending it out to Fuji and returning it back to you. This really just amounts to an alternative way of doing business with Fuji. The interaction with local walmart folks is having them fetch the returned film from the drawer.

philosli
01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
In the past 2 months (12/12, 01/13) I have sent following formats to Walmart sendout service and got my negatives/slides back, without any problem.

135: BW, E6
120: BW, E6, and C-41

120 C-41 + 12 prints (3x4) prints $1.68 plus tax. Yes, $1.68. You read that right.
135 E6: $6.88
135 BW: $1.88
120 E6: $4.88
120 BW + 15 3x5 prints: $9.48 (ok, don't ask prints)

As Apugabug said, it's actually "Fujifilm printing service". Walmart is not doing any processing to your films (except handling the envelops). There's a 1800 Fuji customer service # on the envelop that you can call to trace your films.

The downside is the 2-week processing time, and they won't scan for you, even they do prints (never tried; read this on other websites). And don't try 135 C-41. Your negatives will not come back.

perkeleellinen
01-22-2013, 05:14 PM
There are warnings that negatives will NOT be returned.

Crazy. Do they throw them in the bin?

philosli
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I called 1800 customer service number and confirmed that the warning only applied to 135 C-41 films. Other types of films will be returned.

Said that, this is a bad policy. They just scan the images and transfer the images back to your local store to have them burn to CD and/or print.

jnanian
01-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Crazy. Do they throw them in the bin?

if the film is processed at fuji labs ( where the c41 / 135 goes ) the negatives won't be returned
but everything else goes to dwaynes as a special order. the lab tech at my local wallys said it is fuji's
way of saving transportation $$ because the images are uploaded to the stores who then burn the cd + make prints.

i haven't used fuji in a long while .. 89 is a pretty good deal ...

ME Super
01-22-2013, 08:24 PM
I fail to see how this saves transportation costs since the same courier that picks up the film can also drop off the negatives. Unless of course they're not using their own couriers, but using a shipping company like UPS. This also sounds like a "Wal-Mart cutting corners" not a Fuji cutting corners because IIRC, Meijers (which also uses Fuji) has no sign out about negatives not being returned.

I shoot E-6 primarily, and when Wal-Mart stopped returning negatives, I decided I could no longer trust them to return my slides. I would be very upset if I shot slide film and ended up with scans and prints but no slides. Fortunately a camera store opened not far from where I work and they now get all my E-6, and they do B&W too. In half the time as Wal-Mart/Fuji.

BrianShaw
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Someone may have said that it was to reduce transportation costs but that is possibly erroneous, as ME Super points out. What it does for them is to simplify their handling costs. They win; we lose... but it may be better than totally losing the services entirely. "They"" could be Fuji, Walmart, or both.

nickrapak
01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
I fail to see how this saves transportation costs since the same courier that picks up the film can also drop off the negatives. Unless of course they're not using their own couriers, but using a shipping company like UPS. This also sounds like a "Wal-Mart cutting corners" not a Fuji cutting corners because IIRC, Meijers (which also uses Fuji) has no sign out about negatives not being returned.

From what I've heard, they ship the film every other day via FedEx.

Apugabug
01-22-2013, 11:31 PM
I shoot E-6 primarily, and when Wal-Mart stopped returning negatives, I decided I could no longer trust them to return my slides. I would be very upset if I shot slide film and ended up with scans and prints but no slides.

My last attempt (about a month ago) to process 135 E-6 through Walmart was ok, other than the wait. Mine were mounted, as requested. I don't know what if they would sleeve 135 per request or not.

I haven't tried anything other than 120 C-41 and 135 E-6. However, based on feedback here and elsewhere (photo.net and maybe one other) with people that have used the services, it seems that the only consistent trouble is around 135 C-41 processing. Which is still sad.

jnanian
01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
..... it seems that the only consistent trouble is around 135 C-41 processing. Which is still sad.

thats because it is the only film they process in-house, everything else is sent to dwaynes in kansas.

philosli
01-23-2013, 12:02 AM

I shoot E-6 primarily, and when Wal-Mart stopped returning negatives, I decided I could no longer trust them to return my slides. I would be very upset if I shot slide film and ended up with scans and prints but no slides. Fortunately a camera store opened not far from where I work and they now get all my E-6, and they do B&W too. In half the time as Wal-Mart/Fuji.

E6 and BW (120/135) and 120 C41 will be returned. I've sent through Walmart and got them back several times in the past several weeks.

It's only 135 C41 films that will not be returned. Your slides will come back safely

jnanian
01-23-2013, 09:39 AM
i just got off the phone with someone at fujilabs ...
the plant in greenwood processes the drop off film for
nearly the whole country ... there isn't a courier that picks up / drops off
the film any more, it is done via fed ex.
the person i spoke with said that if you live near a RITE AID pharmacy they
will return your negatives, wallmart, samsclub &c won't. she also said
that as of feb 1 2013 they will no longer have a 120 service.
35mm E6 will still be processed through dwaynes, and slides will be returned
it is just C41 that they discard the negatives, and upload --- >>print+burn cd's
at the store-location.

she also said they ( fuji ) does not have a process only service and that you could
refuse the prints at the store when you pick up the prints + negatives ( rite aid ) ...

sounds like it is almost time to buy a few press kits and process film oneself,
use a local processor, send out to dwaynes, or wherever you want, to bypass fuji altogether.

BrianShaw
01-23-2013, 10:05 AM
... the person i spoke with said that if you live near a RITE AID pharmacy they
will return your negatives, wallmart, samsclub &c won't.

Did you explore this further... is this Fuji decision or the retailers decision? I'd bet that it is a retailer choice.

bvy
01-23-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm just not moved by any of this. They fully disclose that they will not return your negatives. So don't use them! If they informed you after the fact, yes, that would be bad. But they don't. In fact, it sounds like they're very upfront about it.

Target and Costco still process 35mm and do return the negatives. And they're priced comparably.

This throwaway service strikes me as one for casual shooters who use disposable cameras or have never "upgraded" to digital. They're just as happy to receive digital prints and/or files.

I don't like the idea of negatives going in the garbage either. But they're not my negatives, and they don't have to be yours.

jnanian
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Did you explore this further... is this Fuji decision or the retailers decision? I'd bet that it is a retailer choice.

it was a mutual decision ...

philosli
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
she also said
that as of feb 1 2013 they will no longer have a 120 service.

jnanian: Thank you for the info! Which number do you use to contact Fujilab?
(This news is bad for me. I need to find alternatives for my 120 films.)

Terry Christian
01-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Our local Target and Costco no longer process film. A few Walgreens here still do; some don't.

destroya
01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
i put on special instructions not to mount my E-6. they came back mounted and a note saying that all E-6 will be mounted and returned with no other options available. For the price its still a lot cheaper than almost all the local options. i have the chems to do it at home but feel like i need to stockpile a few more roles before I mix up a small batch to make sure the developer stays fresh.

all in all I'm happy with the walmart send out E-6 experience I've had

jnanian
01-23-2013, 02:00 PM
jnanian: Thank you for the info! Which number do you use to contact Fujilab?
(This news is bad for me. I need to find alternatives for my 120 films.)

hi
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportContactInfo.do?catid=464128&prodcat=233844
... you can call fuji at 18009374646
or contact dwaynes directly ...
http://www.dwaynesphoto.com

yeah, i was kind of bummed about letting go the 120 ..
they have done nearly all my e6 + c41 for 10 years ...

... i guess we're living in "now" ...