PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Gathering, May 17-18-19, 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

jp80874
05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I was not certain I could make this gathering until just recently, but everything works out and I look forward to meeting everyone! John, I have sent you a PM with details. Should be great! :D

-Rob

Thank you Rob. Glad you are coming. Looking forward to meeting you. I will send directions.

John

daleeman
05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Happy Mothers Day to all. Expecially to Dolly

I am down here in Florida taking care of my Mom and Dad and now will not be able to make the spring gathering.
Will miss you all.

Lee

jp80874
05-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Lee,

Thank you. Glad you can be with your parents. We will miss you, but will save a spot at the next gathering for you and Sue if the birds are not busy that weekend.

John & Dolly

jp80874
05-12-2013, 07:59 PM
We are just about there. Friday is the start of the Gathering. I hope you are looking forward to it as much as we are. It helps to know how many are coming and when. We tell the Saturday night restaurant and the Sunday morning brunch location so the can bring in an extra person or two to give better service.

Friday we will welcome you any time after 5 PM. Please let me know when you will be coming in and who is camping. We will order in pizza so we can talk, people with long drives can come when they can get here and we can decide who wants to shoot where in the morning. Bring your work to show.

For the rocks and roots people we have the Cuyahoga Valley National Park starting two miles from the house. I will have maps for you.

For history buffs we have the Ohio Farm Museum 1.4 miles away.

For those interested in the Cleveland Flats I will have maps to help you find your way in and out. I suggest that it is safest to shoot with a partner there.

Who is coming and when?

John

Axle
05-13-2013, 09:23 AM
I did an inventory of my camping gear, and packing it up tonight! According to my routing, I should be arriving between 2 and 3pm! And will be camping! I'm assuming there's some sort of grocery store nearby so I can get meat for meals on the day I cook (I'll be getting the non-perishable essentials en-route).

Really looking forward to this!

Shawn Dougherty
05-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks Shawn. Is Mill Street Grill in Garrettsvile?

Like the Buttermilk Falls shot. Wonderful. More of the same please.

John

Yep, Mill Street is the Big Mill right next to the bridge, big wooden building.

You know me but as of today it looks like Lynn and I will be arriving Saturday morning and camping Saturday Night. I'm not sure how early Saturday, definitely in time for breakfast, hopefully for shooting before that.

Sunday Morning we will be getting up for a sunrise shoot somewhere if anyone is interested.

I'll be bringing a fair amount of new work to share, can't wait to see what everyone else has been up to!

Lee L, you coming?! Going out early with us Sunday?

Peter, how about you? I haven't seen you since fall 2011! Looking forward to seeing some prints of these beautiful scans from the Cleveland Flats you and Mr. Powers have been posting.

jp80874
05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
I did an inventory of my camping gear, and packing it up tonight! According to my routing, I should be arriving between 2 and 3pm! And will be camping! I'm assuming there's some sort of grocery store nearby so I can get meat for meals on the day I cook (I'll be getting the non-perishable essentials en-route).

Really looking forward to this!

Are you still going to the Cleveland Museum show before you come out here? I may be out doing errands or mowing depending how things go at 2-3 PM. We plan to open at 5 PM, but if I am here I can show you where the tents go.

There are at least five grocery stores within 5-10 miles. The pizza Friday night, the dinner Saturday and brunch Sunday are purposefully inexpensive. You may find it pretty cheap just to come with us. Ask people you know like Mat.

John

jp80874
05-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Shawn,

We will be happy to see you both when ever you show up. Looking forward to the prints.

Mr. Powers esq.

rbender
05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
John,

Looking forward to the coming weekend. I will not be camping. See everyone on Friday.

Robert

djkloss
05-13-2013, 05:09 PM
I will be joining you all. I finished moving everything my father has owned for the past 60 years into my house (including a store full of cameras!) , but we were able to get him into the one bedroom apt. ;) It only took 6 weeks! I haven't had time to print anything though, but will be looking forward to seeing yours. i treated myself to a used hassy which i'm looking forward to using also. I think I earned it!
Can't wait to see you all...

Dorothy

Axle
05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Are you still going to the Cleveland Museum show before you come out here? I may be out doing errands or mowing depending how things go at 2-3 PM. We plan to open at 5 PM, but if I am here I can show you where the tents go.

I don't think I'll be hitting up the Museum show, I want to shoot in downtown Cleveland on the Friday and hit up Aperture before heading down. If need be, I'll find something to shoot around the house :)

There are at least five grocery stores within 5-10 miles. The pizza Friday night, the dinner Saturday and brunch Sunday are purposefully inexpensive. You may find it pretty cheap just to come with us. Ask people you know like Mat.

Perfect! But I was thinking for a couple lunches and breakfasts, I love to cook while camping so I take every opportunity, but I will for sure join in group meals!

jp80874
05-13-2013, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Axle;1497421]I don't think I'll be hitting up the Museum show, I want to shoot in downtown Cleveland on the Friday and hit up Aperture before heading down. If need be, I'll find something to shoot around the house :)

If you or anyone else wants to shoot in the Flats before coming and you don't know where it is, put this address in Mapquest or your favorite mapping software, 1148 Main Ave Cleveland, OH 44113. That is Shooters, the strip club next to where the Alpena docks. When you get there just wander around, follow the crooked river. Peter and I have been shooting in the Flats for a year. We find new stuff every time. Remember that Friday afternoon traffic coming out of Cleveland can be a little heavy and starts about 3PM.

John

jp80874
05-13-2013, 06:24 PM
One of the themes in the series I have been shooting is the bizarre range of scale in the Flats. Maybe this is a good example.

Then of course there is the abstraction of the construction which constantly evolves.

Axle
05-13-2013, 07:17 PM
If you or anyone else wants to shoot in the Flats before coming and you don't know where it is, put this address in Mapquest or your favorite mapping software, 1148 Main Ave Cleveland, OH 44113. That is Shooters, the strip club next to where the Alpena docks. When you get there just wander around, follow the crooked river. Peter and I have been shooting in the Flats for a year. We find new stuff every time. Remember that Friday afternoon traffic coming out of Cleveland can be a little heavy and starts about 3PM.

Excellent, that's fairly close to where I want to shoot so I'll be sure to make a stop there before going to Aperture.

Robburrito
05-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I'll be staying at the Days Inn in Richfield, I don't expect to get there until late Friday evening; I will come join you Saturday morning.

-Rob

ic-racer
05-13-2013, 08:15 PM
John, as we get closer and I am planning this week and weekend out, can you re-post the expected arrival/meeting times Friday and Sat? I'm really looking forward to seeing people and their photographs; I have been in somewhat of a photographic slump the last 6 months.

Red Tractors
05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Looks like I better find my little tent and get some camping gear together. I plan on gradually driving over Friday afternoon.

I will probably bring some form of stove and a cast iron skillet. Nothing better than a camping breakfast, :cool:

winger
05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Ken won't be here this weekend, so I'll be stuck with the little dude. I'm hoping to drive over on Sat for a short visit (and pick up my photos from Oberlin, if John doesn't have them nailed to a wall) and then maybe turn Nate "loose" in the ledges while I shoot. He's been hiking a couple of times and is ok - it's fun to see through his eyes, too. The more times he can do it, the better he'll be, right? And this won't inflict him on you all as much.
I can't stay long and might not make it at all, but I'll bring some prints from the Farm Museum, too.

Axle
05-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Looks like I better find my little tent and get some camping gear together. I plan on gradually driving over Friday afternoon.

I will probably bring some form of stove and a cast iron skillet. Nothing better than a camping breakfast, :cool:

I'll have a nice Colman stove with me, that you're more than welcome to use if you so desire, and it has a griddle on it!

mat4226
05-14-2013, 08:14 AM
What time are you heading down to the Flats, John? Trying to get out of work a bit earlier to get in some shooting! ^__^