PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Gathering, May 17-18-19, 2013

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

daleeman
02-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Dolly and John, you have brightened my day. I just put you on my schedule.

I had hoped my grandaughter would have been born while the Superbowl was on. My daughter Kristina is going to have a girl and she already has a boy named Ravyn. So my prediction was on the first TD by the Ravins she would pop. I called as the Ravyns scored the first TD of the gam and my daughter was just laughing her head off.... no baby yet. (dang so much for my future visions)

Looking forward to being there.

Lee

jp80874
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Lee,

Too much excitement in the game. Too much drama to share. I am sure she will arrive safely to the happy applause of the whole family. A safe journey for Mom and baby.

See you in May.

John

jp80874
02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Peter Spangenberg sent me an email saying he would be coming to the event. He has added another Atget to his collection. I hope that will be shown. He and I have been shooting in the Flats every sunny Sunday and some that weren't so sunny. We make it a practice not to both be under dark cloths at the same time. It is a good place to have another set of eyes looking. He says he is printing for two shows. Hopefully we will get to see the images after the shows.

John

Dan Henderson
02-04-2013, 08:18 PM
This trip might actually be doable. Not a holiday weekend, doesn't conflict with a planned trip. I would like to see some of my yankee friends again.

djkloss
02-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Peter Spangenberg sent me an email saying he would be coming to the event. He has added another Atget to his collection. I hope that will be shown. He and I have been shooting in the Flats every sunny Sunday and some that weren't so sunny. We make it a practice not to both be under dark cloths at the same time. It is a good place to have another set of eyes looking. He says he is printing for two shows. Hopefully we will get to see the images after the shows.

John

I would love to see the shows! hopefully the images will sell so all the more incentive to see the shows, right?

can't hardly wait!

jp80874
02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
This trip might actually be doable. Not a holiday weekend, doesn't conflict with a planned trip. I would like to see some of my yankee friends again.

Dan,

Your Yankee friends await you with open hospitality. If there is enough time after your trip, I would love to see your first Cuban street photography. Walker Evans you may be. Hope it all goes well.

John

jp80874
02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
I would love to see the shows! hopefully the images will sell so all the more incentive to see the shows, right?

can't hardly wait!

Dorothy,

Here is a link to the Fava show. It is a six state regional show. Anyone in the five states touching OH and Ohio itself can enter. Deadline is Feb 17. See http://www.favagallery.org/Fava%20gallery.html and click on the entry form for details. You should enter some of your work. I think it is great.

For that matter many of the people who will be attending qualify geographically and all in terms of the quality of their work.

The other show Peter is entering is the Tillman Crane workshop in NJ. I think in April. That may be just platinum prints, not sure.

John

jp80874
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
WOW!! What a lot of enthusiasm this early in the thread. Thank you all for such interest. It is great to see old friends coming back to these events time and again. If you are thinking about coming for the first time, please do it. The only way a group like this builds is if new people come, contribute their thoughts and take away ideas from others. You will see all levels of photography. All work produced from film is welcome. There will be many interesting committed photographers to enjoy. See their work, pick their brains, tell them they are wrong and enjoy the banter. We have discovered some really interesting and diverse places to shoot. It is only fun if we have good people to do it.

You all come, even the lurkers. Introduce yourself and become part of the party.

John

daleeman
02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I used to stalk, now I'm legal because I lurk? Other lurkers welcome.

jp80874
02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
I used to stalk, now I'm legal because I lurk? Other lurkers welcome.

Naw, you been OUT THERE for a long time.

JP

Lee L
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Just got back from a trip to Texas (not all of us are Yankees). Glad to see the Gowin/Gohlke exhibit got extended from the original closing date of May 12 out to June 2 so people coming for the APUG event can see it. I was hoping that Frank would be giving a gallery talk, but that's not on the schedule. Couldn't make the Gowin talk because I was travelling. I took a week-long workshop with Frank in 1981 in Minneapolis at Film in the Cities.

I should be able to make the event. Look forward to seeing everyone, and thanks again to John and Dolly for hosting.

Lee

jp80874
02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Just got back from a trip to Texas (not all of us are Yankees). Glad to see the Gowin/Gohlke exhibit got extended from the original closing date of May 12 out to June 2 so people coming for the APUG event can see it. I was hoping that Frank would be giving a gallery talk, but that's not on the schedule. Couldn't make the Gowin talk because I was travelling. I took a week-long workshop with Frank in 1981 in Minneapolis at Film in the Cities.

I should be able to make the event. Look forward to seeing everyone, and thanks again to John and Dolly for hosting.

Lee

Welcome back you all. Glad you are planning on the event. Thank you again for the Google map project mentioned at the start of this thread. I gather it has helped a great number of our visitors.

The Gowin/Gohlke show is definitely a winner. Must see for all fans of them, B&W and Mt. St. Helens. Gohlke has a wide range of formats. Some are printed 8x20, but may be smaller and enlarged. Most look to be enlargements of 4x5 or 8x10. Really nice work by both artists.

I donít know if Mat is entering Fava again, but Peter and I will be coming out. Maybe we could do another Oberlin lunch if you & Barbara are so inclined. I think deadline is Feb. 17th before 5 PM, but I need to check.

John

Lee L
02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Welcome back you all. Glad you are planning on the event. Thank you again for the Google map project mentioned at the start of this thread. I gather it has helped a great number of our visitors.

The Gowin/Gohlke show is definitely a winner. Must see for all fans of them, B&W and Mt. St. Helens. Gohlke has a wide range of formats. Some are printed 8x20, but may be smaller and enlarged. Most look to be enlargements of 4x5 or 8x10. Really nice work by both artists.

I donít know if Mat is entering Fava again, but Peter and I will be coming out. Maybe we could do another Oberlin lunch if you & Barbara are so inclined. I think deadline is Feb. 17th before 5 PM, but I need to check.

John

Frank was shooting mostly 4x5 at that point IIRC. Earlier work had often been done with a TLR (Rollei, I believe), and around the time of the Mt. St. Helens project starting up he also got one of the Plaubel Makina 67 folders with the Nikkor lens. I believe he had the 80mm. He may have shot some at Mt. St. Helens with the 67 if working quickly was important, as it appears it was in some of his Mt. St. Helens photos. He got interested in the aftermath of natural disasters after a mile wide tornado killed 45 people in his home town of Wichita Falls, TX in 1979. He flew in the day after the storm to check on his family with only a small number of sheets of B&W 4x5 film and his camera. I was listening to the reports that day with a 'dorm mother' on the college campus who was from Vernon, which was also struck by a tornado in that outbreak. There were people in a bank at a mall who sheltered in a bank vault. When they came out the mall was gone.

Frank returned to Mt. St. Helens yearly for something like 9(?) years each spring to record the recovery of the natural areas around Mt. St. Helens.

Lee

mat4226
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM

John

I'm IN for an Oberlin lunch! :D Definitely entering this year.

ic-racer
02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm IN for an Oberlin lunch! :D Definitely entering this year.

How about a lunch in Peninsula. John and I and the other locals are planning on getting together for a mid-winter get together at Fisher's in Peninsula Sat. 2/9 1:00. Hope anyone in the area can make it.

jp80874
02-07-2013, 06:42 AM
How about a lunch in Peninsula. John and I and the other locals are planning on getting together for a mid-winter get together at Fisher's in Peninsula Sat. 2/9 1:00. Hope anyone in the area can make it.

I plan to be there. Let it be said that John never misses a meal.

John

billschwab
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Sure would be fun to join you Ohio peeps again. I've got this penciled in, but think I may be up in TO doing a workshop with the Carnie crew. We'll see.

Shawn Dougherty
02-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Crap, I'm working this Saturday... Going to try hard for May. Have fun!

daleeman
02-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Confirmed a Hotel in Streetsboro. Not perfectly close, but it took my club points so I can spend my funds on more important things. Yea.

Lee L
02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Can't make this Sat for lunch. Doing birthday things for the S.O.

I'm up for a FAVA Six State Show drop-off lunch on the 16th or 17th or both... whenever folks are in town submitting their entries.

I'll try to check in here more often than I have lately between now and then.

Bill, would love to have your company at one of the local events when you can make it.

Lee