PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Gathering, May 17-18-19, 2013

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

jp80874
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Sure would be fun to join you Ohio peeps again. I've got this penciled in, but think I may be up in TO doing a workshop with the Carnie crew. We'll see.

Sure would be fun to have you here. Some where around there is a guy on a shaky motorcycle that really wants another shot at you.

John

jp80874
02-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Crap, I'm working this Saturday... Going to try hard for May. Have fun!

Shawn,

You just got to find a job that lets you play more.

John

jp80874
02-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Confirmed a Hotel in Streetsboro. Not perfectly close, but it took my club points so I can spend my funds on more important things. Yea.

Lee,

Isn't there one in the Montrose - Fairlawn area that takes your points? It is closer and there is just about every hotel name that I have heard.

Is the chief birder going to join us?

John

jp80874
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Can't make this Sat for lunch. Doing birthday things for the S.O.

I'm up for a FAVA Six State Show drop-off lunch on the 16th or 17th or both... whenever folks are in town submitting their entries.

I'll try to check in here more often than I have lately between now and then.

Bill, would love to have your company at one of the local events when you can make it.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Is anyone else coming out to Oberlin with a Fava entry? Peter and I were talking about Sunday.

John

billschwab
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
... there is a guy on a shaky motorcycle that really wants another shot at you.I think I would recognize him! I was so close, I could have pinched his cheek. :)

winger
02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks Lee. Is anyone else coming out to Oberlin with a Fava entry? Peter and I were talking about Sunday.

John
I'm thinking about it. I just don't know if my Mordanšage stuff would go over well enough - I don't have much else done in the last 3 years.

I do have the May weekend penciled in. As usual, it's dependent on drill weekend and other things, but I really want to make it.

jp80874
02-07-2013, 02:21 PM
I think I would recognize him! I was so close, I could have pinched his cheek. :)

Thank God you are selective, since four of my cheeks were between you and him. Who knows where the Speedster would have gone if you had gotten the wrong one.

John

jp80874
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking about it. I just don't know if my Mordanšage stuff would go over well enough - I don't have much else done in the last 3 years.

I do have the May weekend penciled in. As usual, it's dependent on drill weekend and other things, but I really want to make it.

I really liked the Mordanšage stuff. Go for it. There are so few people doing interesting alt processes that you should have a very good chance of being juried in. You have three entries and last year was the first time I got all three in. I'm sure it was because they were van dyke brown rather than silver B&W.

On the other hand there are so many digital entries that maybe Peter and I will get in just because we are printing silver contact prints. Who knows. Give it a try.

Hope you can come in May.

John

jp80874
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Speaking of being juried in, Dolly and I are going to this opening tonight. Two of my Ohio Farm Museum pictures were juried in to this exhibit.

“Akron Art Museum chief curating UA juried exhibition

The new chief curator of the Akron Art Museum, Janice Driesbach, is curating the 2013 Juried Student Exhibition at The University of Akron's Mary Schiller Myers School of Art.

The free exhibition runs through Feb. 28 in the Emily Davis Gallery in Folk Hall, 150 E. Exchange St. Hours are Mondays through Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The free opening reception is this Thursday, Feb. 7, from 6 to 8 p.m.

UA has offered art classes since it began as Buchtel College in 1870, and the talents of UA art students have been showcased in juried exhibitions for the past 77 years.

Driesbach has chosen more than 50 student works for this year's exhibition, including ceramics, graphic design, metals, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, and video.”

Come to the gathering and make your own show quality images at the Ohio Farm Museum, the Cleveland Flats or the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Commercial over.

John

htimsdj
02-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Wow, so many posts this far out ....

I'll definitely be present for some part of the May weekend - look forward to seeing everyone!

Also, I'll be at lunch on Saturday at Fishers.

Jeff

djkloss
02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Dorothy,

Here is a link to the Fava show. It is a six state regional show. Anyone in the five states touching OH and Ohio itself can enter. Deadline is Feb 17. See http://www.favagallery.org/Fava%20gallery.html and click on the entry form for details. You should enter some of your work. I think it is great.

For that matter many of the people who will be attending qualify geographically and all in terms of the quality of their work.

The other show Peter is entering is the Tillman Crane workshop in NJ. I think in April. That may be just platinum prints, not sure.

John

Thanks for the link. I bought a Tillman Crane book when I was in Maine. Beautiful work!

daleeman
02-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Lee,

Isn't there one in the Montrose - Fairlawn area that takes your points? It is closer and there is just about every hotel name that I have heard.

Is the chief birder going to join us?

John

There is one in Montrose Fairlawn area and they wanted 2X+ the points so I'll opt for the drive to Streetsboro. Keeping points burn down due to using them every time I head south to do things for Mom and Dad in the nursing home.

Sue will certainly be at the Black Swamps area outside of Toledo that weekend. I never get to see her in May hardly at all. I am very excited about the outing.

Went to Columbus yesterday, my granddaughter was born on 2/6/2013 @ 10:30PM. What a baby.

winger
02-08-2013, 07:17 AM
So cute! I'm guessing there will be many more photos. And a great day to be born (my little guy's b-day is the 6th as well).

jp80874
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Wow, so many posts this far out ....

I'll definitely be present for some part of the May weekend - look forward to seeing everyone!

Also, I'll be at lunch on Saturday at Fishers.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

This event has really taken off. We will count on you to visit in May.
I will see you, Dale and maybe Peter Saturday.

John

jp80874
02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the link. I bought a Tillman Crane book when I was in Maine. Beautiful work!

I bought "Structure" and have really enjoyed it. I really like his work. If you go to his website you can get on a "monthly musing" list that is very interesting.

John

jp80874
02-08-2013, 09:06 AM
There is one in Montrose Fairlawn area and they wanted 2X+ the points so I'll opt for the drive to Streetsboro. Keeping points burn down due to using them every time I head south to do things for Mom and Dad in the nursing home.

Sue will certainly be at the Black Swamps area outside of Toledo that weekend. I never get to see her in May hardly at all. I am very excited about the outing.

Went to Columbus yesterday, my granddaughter was born on 2/6/2013 @ 10:30PM. What a baby.

Congratulations Grandpa Lee. Looks really good.

Dolly's daughter and two sons are coming here in a couple of weeks. I envy you that Columbus- Dayton run. Jennifer and family live north of Denver.

John

jp80874
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
So cute! I'm guessing there will be many more photos. And a great day to be born (my little guy's b-day is the 6th as well).

....and Jennifer's older (9) son is also named Nate.

Grandpa John

Shawn Dougherty
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
I bought "Structure" and have really enjoyed it. I really like his work. If you go to his website you can get on a "monthly musing" list that is very interesting.

John

I have yet to see his work in person but have enjoyed it on the web for sometime. Being a big Andrew Wyeth fan it's fascinating to see photographs made in the Olson House. I'd love to take a look at your copy of "Structure" next time I'm out, John. If you don't mind of course.

Congrats, to that other Lee! =)

jp80874
02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
I have yet to see his work in person but have enjoyed it on the web for sometime. Being a big Andrew Wyeth fan it's fascinating to see photographs made in the Olson House. I'd love to take a look at your copy of "Structure" next time I'm out, John. If you don't mind of course.

Congrats, to that other Lee! =)

Happy to. Did you see the Andrew Wyeth exhibit in the Butler Museum in Youngstown a few years back? Dolly was a big fan prior to that and I got hooked.

Dorothy, which Crane book did you get? I know there is at least one other one, but it was sold out by the time I could afford it.

John

Shawn Dougherty
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Happy to. Did you see the Andrew Wyeth exhibit in the Butler Museum in Youngstown a few years back? Dolly was a big fan prior to that and I got hooked.

John

Thanks, John! I saw it several times, I'm only about 20 minutes from the Butler. I wasn't crazy about the photographs of him but the paintings were great to finally see in person.