PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Gathering, May 17-18-19, 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

jp80874
03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Alright so looking at the map, and the photos...I'm really looking forward to this!

Just a reminder that about a hundred posts back I mentioned the park prints a fold out map. I have gathered a pile of them. They will be available when you arrive. Just ask if you don't see them. If you want a guide hang out with Shawn, Lee or Dorothy, although D freely admits she has no idea where she has been or is at that moment. Look out for that Bannow guy unless you want to spend all your time at the ice-cream store.

I talked to a Ranger yesterday as the Girls and I were about to start a very muddy hike. He said they are going to be hit badly by the sequester. If that is still in effect by the event some things may have changed since others were last here. He said layoffs would mean the bathrooms would not be cleaned very often. Specific sites that had open hours might not be opened for the same amount of time as before. For those expecting a sunrise opening, sunrise might come about noon. Just check the signs the night before.

John

ic-racer
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Awesome Shawn!

Red Tractors
03-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I need to scout out the Stepher Frazee house, just recently found out it existed. Since the Frazee's are my ancestors it's worth a look.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/ohioeriecanal/fra.htm

jp80874
03-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Aaron,

Fantastic. I hope you will tell us all about it and your connection. As I said above, check on the hours they are open, if they are open, after the sequester kicks in.

John

Axle
03-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I need to scout out the Stepher Frazee house, just recently found out it existed. Since the Frazee's are my ancestors it's worth a look.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/ohioeriecanal/fra.htm

Nice! I may just end up spending most of Saturday exploring that whole park! Or Sunday...one of those two days :D

I'm glad I have the monday as well to explore through Clevland.

Lee L
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm going to attach a .gpx file of locations from the NEOH-APUG web site Google maps.

If you have a Garmin GPS, or another brand of GPS that takes .gpx formatted files, or a program to do conversions to your format, you can download this attachment, rename it to NEOH-APUG.gpx (by deleting the .txt at the end of the uploaded file name), and load these points of interest into your GPS.

I don't use Windows or Mac, so I can't do tech support for transferring to your GPS, you'll have to read your own instructions.

Lee

jp80874
03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm going to attach a .gpx file of locations from the NEOH-APUG web site Google maps.

If you have a Garmin GPS, or another brand of GPS that takes .gpx formatted files, or a program to do conversions to your format, you can download this attachment, rename it to NEOH-APUG.gpx (by deleting the .txt at the end of the uploaded file name), and load these points of interest into your GPS.

I don't use Windows or Mac, so I can't do tech support for transferring to your GPS, you'll have to read your own instructions.

Lee

Thanks Lee from all of us. I am sure that will help.

John

jp80874
03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
What a fun day. Lee L and wife Barbara, Mat, Peter and wife Jean, Dolly and I met in Oberlin for lunch, then went to the FAVA six state regional show opening. All who entered got at least one of three prints into the juried show. Bethe (Winger) couldn’t make it over from PA, but as mentioned above, got two prints in the show and they won two of the five Juror’s awards of $100 each. Black is the new neutral. Peter and I enjoyed a long talk with the judge who happens to live in the Cleveland Flats where we are photographing a series. Big Day.

Shawn Dougherty
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Awesome Shawn!

Thanks, Dale!

What a fun day. Lee L and wife Barbara, Mat, Peter and wife Jean, Dolly and I met in Oberlin for lunch, then went to the FAVA six state regional show opening. All who entered got at least one of three prints into the juried show. Bethe (Winger) couldnít make it over from PA, but as mentioned above, got two prints in the show and they won two of the five Jurorís awards of $100 each. Black is the new neutral. Peter and I enjoyed a long talk with the judge who happens to live in the Cleveland Flats where we are photographing a series. Big Day.

Congratulations to all! Sounds like a great time.

Robburrito
03-05-2013, 01:18 AM
I would love to make this gathering, the timing has always been bad on previous ones for me but have always wanted to drive up for the get-together.

jp80874
03-05-2013, 07:43 AM
I would love to make this gathering, the timing has always been bad on previous ones for me but have always wanted to drive up for the get-together.

Welcome. You may have read the following that I posted when Red Tractors said he would like to come. Send me information and I will return with information.

"In the first post I wrote, ďIf you have not been here before please PM me with name, address, phone, email and emergency contact in case you do something you shouldnít have. I will return with directions and our phone number.Ē

I purposely copied Bill Schwabís plan of stating various times during the event when, in theory, we would all come together. Those are Friday evening after 5 PM, 9 AM and 5 PM Saturday, and Sunday 10 AM brunch. Other times are catch as catch can.

Please ask any questions you have. Let me know if you are camping. Come and enjoy.

John & Dolly Powers"

Tell the group your name and about your interests, especially relative to this event.

jp80874
03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Bethe said she didn’t want to crow, but you know that has never stopped me. I received an email from the U Akron Budget Administrator this AM informing me that I also had won a $100 juror's award in the School of Art show that just came down yesterday. The first time I’ve received a cash award. Lets see, that’s about 1/10% of overall costs. Oh well. It is a retirement lifelong wish fulfillment to study photography. I am glad I can share it with you all through these gatherings, that is the wish fulfillment, not the $100. I’m not buying the beer.

John

winger
03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Bethe said she didnít want to crow, but you know that has never stopped me. I received an email from the U Akron Budget Administrator this AM informing me that I also had won a $100 juror's award in the School of Art show that just came down yesterday. The first time Iíve received a cash award. Lets see, thatís about 1/10% of overall costs. Oh well. It is a retirement lifelong wish fulfillment to study photography. I am glad I can share it with you all through these gatherings, that is the wish fulfillment, not the $100. Iím not buying the beer.

John

Congratulations, John! Forget about how much the ROI is and just spend any winnings on more photo stuff. I've spent my winnings at least twice.

Shawn Dougherty
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Bethe said she didnít want to crow, but you know that has never stopped me. I received an email from the U Akron Budget Administrator this AM informing me that I also had won a $100 juror's award in the School of Art show that just came down yesterday. The first time Iíve received a cash award. Lets see, thatís about 1/10% of overall costs. Oh well. It is a retirement lifelong wish fulfillment to study photography. I am glad I can share it with you all through these gatherings, that is the wish fulfillment, not the $100. Iím not buying the beer.

John

Congratulations, Mr. Powers!!!!!!!!! Excellent news (except the part about not buying the beer...)!

jp80874
03-11-2013, 01:48 PM
For those close enough, Photorama USA photo swap meet, Sunday, March 17, 10AM-3 PM, Richfield Days Inn, 4742 Brecksville Rd., just south of OH Turnpike Entrance.

When enough of us have shown up we have been known to have lunch at Musketeers Bar & Grille, 3027 Brecksville Rd, Richfield, OH. Tel: 330-659-4111. A possible way to consume your required corn beef St. Patty's Day intake.

John P. from Powers and O'Grady

daleeman
03-12-2013, 02:24 PM
John,
Is this Civil War Encampment anywhere near your place?
http://www.ohiocivilwar150.org/2013/01/akron-civil-war-encampment/

Also I see there is a big one at Hale Farm in August 9-11.

I have been thinking of grabbing some large format portraits of some of these reenacters and Hale farm is the museum farm we have visited near your home I believe. Although not on the schedule for an official APUG visit, I wondered if anyone else had such visions.

jp80874
03-12-2013, 04:24 PM
John,
Is this Civil War Encampment anywhere near your place?
http://www.ohiocivilwar150.org/2013/01/akron-civil-war-encampment/

Also I see there is a big one at Hale Farm in August 9-11.

I have been thinking of grabbing some large format portraits of some of these reenacters and Hale farm is the museum farm we have visited near your home I believe. Although not on the schedule for an official APUG visit, I wondered if anyone else had such visions.

The link leads you to a promo for a re-enactment at the Perkins House at 550 Copley Rd., Akron, OH. Perkins was one of the founders of Akron. Go to Mapquest.com, enter that address for a map. Reduce the magnification enough to follow Copley Rd. west to I-77. Follow I-77 north 5-6 miles to Rt. 18. That is Montrose or about five miles south of my house. I would guess 10-12 miles overall.

There is a big re-enactment at Hale Farm in August. I have read that it gets about 1000 re-enactors. Hale Farm is down in the valley near the covered bridge. Normally they do not allow tripods. They may drop that rule for this event, better check with Hale management. Their logic is that a pro uses a tripod. A pro makes pictures to make money. They want the money. Naturally I donít agree with this logic. I do find hand holding a 7x17 challenging.

ďHale farm is the museum farm we have visited near your homeĒ. No, Hale Farm is down in the valley south of the covered bridge, west of the beaver pond. See their website for directions. http://www.wrhs.org/Properties/Directions_Hale_Farm_Village

We as a group have visited the OH Farm Museum, 1.4 miles from my house, on Southern Rd. in Richfield. The owner Jim Fry encourages us to make pictures, especially if you give him a print. I worked there two years and gave him 73 prints. Peter worked there a lot with me and gave him scans of his 8x10 and 5x7s for his website.

Let me know if you talk to Hale Farm about tripod permission in August.

John

Axle
03-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Reenactments are fantastic! I used to photograph at War of 1812 events, however now I actually participate in them as a soldier (British of course). I plan on bringing my 4x5 along and getting portraits of other reenactors this season.

jp80874
03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Reenactments are fantastic! I used to photograph at War of 1812 events, however now I actually participate in them as a soldier (British of course). I plan on bringing my 4x5 along and getting portraits of other reenactors this season.

Note the dates of the two reenactments mentioned above. They are not the weekend of the gathering. You are certainly welcome back then. I just want to be sure you don't build expectations that can't come true.

John

Axle
03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Note the dates of the two reenactments mentioned above. They are not the weekend of the gathering. You are certainly welcome back then. I just want to be sure you don't build expectations that can't come true.

John

Yeah, I noticed the date, Aug 9-11 is actually a big War of 1812 reenactment at Old Fort Erie in Ontario, big siege, always a huge turn out.