PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Gathering, May 17-18-19, 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

jp80874
03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
The other date is June 15th in the link Lee gave. http://www.ohiocivilwar150.org/2013/01/akron-civil-war-encampment/

Axle
03-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Gah! I'm at the Battle of York Reenactment on the 15th :P

In other news. My 4x5 works perfectly.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8528/8557369820_d9dd86fc2b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle81401/8557369820/)

jp80874
03-14-2013, 04:19 PM
As they say, pick your wars. I believe it was a suggestion as to which ones to avoid. Perhaps you have brought it new meaning. Glad the camera is working. Bring prints to show further proof.

John

daleeman
03-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Happy Birthday John

jp80874
03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Happy Birthday John

Thank you. It has been a great Birthday. As I said on Facebook, much has gone well. I hope what I posted there is a tease to encourage more people to come to our event and look at the Flats.

"Thank you for kind wishes. Today is my 73rd birthday. It was my first day out after a three-week battle with a flu not covered in the flu shot. My usual shooting partner Peter Spangenberg is out of town with family, so my sweet wife Dolly came along to chaperone and watch for bad guys as I continued my 7x17 photo series in the industrial flats of Cleveland’s Cuyahoga River.

None of the seven items on my “to shoot” list looked right in a glaringly beautiful sunny day. I followed Emmet Gowen’s advice in a recent lecture at Cleveland’s Museum of Art. “Allow yourself to discover and enjoy chance.” As we past and postponed an interesting item on the list, another, maybe better one presented itself.

The Cleveland Marine Fire Department was kind enough to exercise all six water pumps on their fireboat for about an hour in the glinting sunlight against the background of multiple ancient bridges. A new stage of the six-lane bridge construction had been built since I was last here. All these overhead bridges cast wonderful striped and patterned shadows on the piles of construction material. A giant 600 foot Canadian combination cement ship and welded on tug boat had backed three miles up river to it’s cement company and was unloading. It took up half the river width. While it was there a second barge slowly steamed by pushed by a normal tug, leaving maybe seven feet on either side going through the opening. No doubt worried that I missed an image the captain of this last tug and barge combination steamed by again while I was waiting for the first ship to cast off. Two policemen drove up curious about the camera and suggested a site down a driveway where I hadn’t been.

Now comes Dolly’s wonderful birthday dinner and several days of film developing and printing. I hope your day is as enjoyable. "

John

winger
03-30-2013, 10:25 PM
That sounds like a great day, John! Happy birthday and many more!!

Jeff Bannow
03-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Happy Birthday John

Happy birthday (slightly belated)!

daleeman
03-31-2013, 07:21 AM
John,
Sounds like a wonderful birthday out with your bride.

Would you know where we might hire a boat for Saturday that we could see the flats from the water and put in several point for some new points of view? Think that might be worth while?

jp80874
03-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Thank you Bethe and Jeff. It was a great birthday.

Lee, I don’t know of any boat rentals, but then I haven’t looked for one. Peter and I have both been shooting LF and ULF in the Flats since June. The type of boat you could rent would not be a stable enough platform to prevent blurred images. Hand held, smaller formats at faster shutter speeds might work.

The river is quite narrow above the first bend and very accessible by car on both sides. There are areas where you can’t get in and with the major six lane bridge
construction, there are temporary road closings. It is a small geographic area. We have simply prowled and learned our way.

There are several methods to improve finding your way. Paper maps of Cleveland are available at most book stores. Portable or car based GPS systems allow you to enlarge the maps and get updates. I have wanted to include images of the 600 foot ships and tugboats. Predicting where and when they will be in the area is very easy with software from http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/. Each ship has a transponder that reports minute by minute. The port code for Cleveland is CLE just as it is for airplanes. The software can tell you what ships are in port, what are expected, and where each vessel is on the river. There are ($4.99) apps for this for both IPhones and IPads. I’m guessing other devices are not left out.

We have found the most common transports are carrying limestone for cement, premixed concrete, taconite for steel. These vessels go to several locations pinpointed on the software maps. If you enlarge the scale you can see the roads that get near them.

John

mjs
03-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Happy birthday, John! Many happy returns!

Mike

jp80874
03-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks Mike. I hope the hunt is going well.

John

Axle
03-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Happy Birthday John!

So I got the Friday of the event off work! So I'll leaving around 6am to get across the boarder before rush hour, making a stop in Erie, PA to check out La Presque Isle (site of Perry's Naval base during hte War of 1812), then making my way towards Cleveland on backroads, hitting up the downtown, then Aperture Tremont. Should be at the house late afternoon.

jp80874
03-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Axle,

Thank you,
Looking forward to seeing you.

John

Lee L
04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
John is correct about other platforms being supported. From the page he linked to you can find them right by the link to the iOS apps.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marinetraffic.android $3.95
Windows Phone: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/marinetraffic/e59ea6b2-857c-469a-9c31-53494c3b0d8a $3.99

The page John gave the link to also contains the map for use in a browser.

Lee

There are several methods to improve finding your way. Paper maps of Cleveland are available at most book stores. Portable or car based GPS systems allow you to enlarge the maps and get updates. I have wanted to include images of the 600 foot ships and tugboats. Predicting where and when they will be in the area is very easy with software from http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/. Each ship has a transponder that reports minute by minute. The port code for Cleveland is CLE just as it is for airplanes. The software can tell you what ships are in port, what are expected, and where each vessel is on the river. There are ($4.99) apps for this for both IPhones and IPads. I’m guessing other devices are not left out.

John

Nicholas Lindan
04-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Wasn't sure of my schedule until now...

So, responding to John's generous hospitality, it looks like I will be attending the May get-together.

Look forward to seeing you all.

jp80874
04-05-2013, 08:23 PM
John is correct about other platforms being supported. From the page he linked to you can find them right by the link to the iOS apps.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marinetraffic.android $3.95
Windows Phone: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/marinetraffic/e59ea6b2-857c-469a-9c31-53494c3b0d8a $3.99

The page John gave the link to also contains the map for use in a browser.

Lee

Thanks Lee.

jp80874
04-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Wasn't sure of my schedule until now...

So, responding to John's generous hospitality, it looks like I will be attending the May get-together.

Look forward to seeing you all.

Glad to read that you will be with us Nick.

jp80874
04-05-2013, 08:24 PM
For those of us in the area this looks like a very interesting event. Peter has seen the exhibit. I hope to be there with Dolly.

4/13/13 2-4pm Panel Discussion on Alternative Processes in Contemporary Photography 4/13/13 2-4pm

THE JANUS EFFECT: New Photographs from Old Techniques

Tregoning & Company presents a Panel Discussion with 4 Cleveland photographers who discuss the use of Alternative Processes in creating Contemporary Photography.

On Saturday afternoon April 13th 2013, between 2 and 4p, Akron Art Museum Collections Manager Arnold Tunstall will moderate a panel discussion comprised of Donald Black, Jr., Gabriel Gonzalez, Greg Martin, and Jeannette Palsa. They will speak about their perspectives as artists employing older techniques and equipment to create their art. The exhibition's Curator, Christopher Pekoc, will also join the panel.

The Discussion will be offered to the general public as a free event. The event will be staged in the North Gallery of Tregoning & Company, 1300 West 78th Street, Cleveland, OH 44102. Wine and refreshments will be served.
Recently gallerist and art dealer Bill Tregoning examined remarkable contemporary photographs created employing 19th century techniques. Artist-photographer Christopher Pekoc was the conduit; he had been struck with these photographs by the quartet of artists Tregoning & Company has now invited to participate in a group show this Spring, with Chris Pekoc curating this exhibition. The simultaneous notion of looking forward and backward invokes the Roman god of the New Year: Janus -depicted in antiquity in double profile, simultaneously looking left and right.

Donald Black, Jr. readily admits to Photography being his first love and relishes the sensory rewards of working with his hands as he engages in traditional darkroom practices. He found those rewards missing with digital photography, so in an attempt to regain them Black turned to a method of capturing images as old as the origins of photography itself: photogravure -a process that produces a continuous tone photograph from an etched copper plate. Rather than using the plate as a negative to produce a print, Black has turned away, instead using the plate as the positive print itself. As if to underscore the satisfaction he derives in this new method, Donald chose to produce a unique, life-size image by conjoining copper plates and presenting them as the final work of art.

Using the more recently abandoned process of developed film, Gabriel Gonzalez noticed intricate abstract patterns appearing on the discarded gelatin silver prints he found in his darkroom waste basket. He knew the patterns were caused by the oxidation of the chemistry as the silver coating on the photo paper reacted to the stainless steel of his developing sink. It occurred to him that he could manipulate the oxidization process to create his own abstract compositions. Then he digitally scanned the compositions, sometimes layering the scans to create more complexity, and printed the final results with an ink jet printer, resulting in dramatic colors and startling imagery.

Greg Martin is constantly drawn to the forgotten and discarded, the decaying, the overlooked and the ignored, with his goal always to reveal to the viewer something they have not seen. In the archaic and long-ignored process of wet-plate collodion photography Martin found a method of creating and revealing that is continuously challenging, constantly inspiring, and amazingly rewarding at the same time. Using period equipment, chemistry, and methods developed over 150 years ago he creates imagery that is beyond the reach of today's state-of-the-art.

Jeannette Palsa also creates images with wet plate-collodion, both forms of ambrotype and collodion images on aluminum. Palsa works intuitively, stating that her philosophy is "to look beyond what you think you see, to make the subject that appears before your
lens more than what it appears." Process and subject combine to create images of haunting ambiguity.

Tregoning & Company's Current Exhibition:

The Janus Effect: New Photographs from Old Techniques
runs through April 27, 2013

Christopher Pekoc (216 589 0336)

Current Exhibit: http://www.tregoningandco.com/current-exhibit.html

Tregoning & Company | 1300 West 78th Street | Cleveland | OH | 44102

djkloss
04-13-2013, 09:11 AM
See you this afternoon!

ic-racer
04-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Have you been there before John? Do you know of some easy way to get there? 77 to 480 to 176 to 90 to 117 to 6 to 78th?