PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Gathering, May 17-18-19, 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

jp80874
04-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Glad to see six of us made it: Nick, Dale, Jimmy, Ron, Dorothy, Dolly and me. I used Mapquest to get there, but it didn't know a street was closed for construction. It was a great exhibit and presentation. Sorry if we missed people afterwards. We went over to see the exhibit at Cleveland Print Room, 2550 Superior Ave. Greg Martin is also showing there with several others. If you are interested in wet plate, he is going to do a demo there next Saturday at 1 PM.

John

Lee L
04-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Would like to have made the discussion and seen everyone, but had prior plans with df cardwell, who was in town for the weekend, and then there was the Mini-Maker Faire at the Cleveland Public Library at the same time.

Lee

Roland Thomas
04-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Like to know more about you Gathering. i think I would be interested in coming, is there a cost to attend?
Roland
rthomasv@aol.com

winger
04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Like to know more about you Gathering. i think I would be interested in coming, is there a cost to attend?
Roland
rthomasv@aol.com

The only official cost is chipping in for the porta-potty. There's usually camping space if the field isn't a swamp (or there are hotels nearby). Food is a "herd-the-cats" thing and we pick a local place that's fairly reasonable most of the time. Or pizza.
It's a fairly flexible friendly group of people who enjoy taking pictures of whatever we can find (there are lots of choices in the Cuyahoga area) and also like sharing the results of our expeditions (bring prints to show). It's always a good time!

jp80874
04-21-2013, 08:47 PM
The only official cost is chipping in for the porta-potty. There's usually camping space if the field isn't a swamp (or there are hotels nearby). Food is a "herd-the-cats" thing and we pick a local place that's fairly reasonable most of the time. Or pizza.
It's a fairly flexible friendly group of people who enjoy taking pictures of whatever we can find (there are lots of choices in the Cuyahoga area) and also like sharing the results of our expeditions (bring prints to show). It's always a good time!

Let it not be said that the host wants to hog all the jobs. I believe we have a new Public Relations Executive. Thank you madam PRE. You are good, except the part about camping and swamp. Bear in mind we have had campers at each event and madam aways stays in a motel or goes home. Some of the camping misadventures involved rain in the middle of the night when said camper had not used a drop cloth or other waterproofing. That can not be said to be the fault of the camp ground, but it did create some fun stories for the rest of us.

John

jp80874
04-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Roland
rthomasv@aol.com

Roland,

Welcome. I have been out shooting all weekend with Peter and missed your post. All film and wet plate shooters are welcome. You are welcome to camp or commute. It is not far. We commute during the summer to a boat in Huron, OH. Quote from the boiler plate "If you have not been here before please PM me with name, address, phone, email and emergency contact in case you do something you shouldn’t have. I will return with directions and our phone number."

John

jp80874
04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
I am really glad to see new faces show interest in joining us. Please know that the only way a group continues is if it grows with new people and new ideas. It also ain’t bad to have the old faithful come back time and time again. Thank you all for making this what it is.

John

jp80874
04-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Peter and I have been shooting quite often down in the flats for about a year. Dale, Shawn and Peter have posted pictures of some of their favorite places. You can see we have some wonderful locations to shoot. Thanks to Peter’s generously scanning a few of my prints I can now start to add some of mine. I hope others will post images from earlier NE OH Gatherings. Bethe, how about some from the Ohio Farm Museum?

One of the ships that comes to Cleveland quite often is the Alpena. She was built in 1943 and as I understand it, brings liquid cement from MI to a concrete plant here in the flats. Honestly I am not sure whether cement is a component of concrete or the other way around. With all the highway bridge building going on, the Flats must be a high volume cement customer.

I discovered the Alpena on the IOS app described a few posts back. Saturday Peter saw my print from months ago of the Alpena unloading. He liked the picture. Sunday the Alpena was back in town so Peter could compose his own image. We have found that there are several 600+ foot Lake Freighters that regularly bring lime stone, taconite, cement and other bulk freight to Cleveland. Rarely a weekend goes by that some vessels are not visiting the flats. That ought to put a curse on the 17-19th.

Come to the event and make you own pictures.

John

Peter Spangenberg
04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Whatever it is the Alpena hauls, it hauls 30 million pounds of it. More than enough to give Archimedes pause and/or take care of J. Hoffa. Quite an impressive spot with easy access. Thanks for the tip John. Here's hoping my photos of the Alpena turn out half as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing everyone in May.

Peter and I have been shooting quite often down in the flats for about a year. Dale, Shawn and Peter have posted pictures of some of their favorite places. You can see we have some wonderful locations to shoot. Thanks to Peter’s generously scanning a few of my prints I can now start to add some of mine. I hope others will post images from earlier NE OH Gatherings. Bethe, how about some from the Ohio Farm Museum?

One of the ships that comes to Cleveland quite often is the Alpena. She was built in 1943 and as I understand it, brings liquid cement from MI to a concrete plant here in the flats. Honestly I am not sure whether cement is a component of concrete or the other way around. With all the highway bridge building going on, the Flats must be a high volume cement customer.

I discovered the Alpena on the IOS app described a few posts back. Saturday Peter saw my print from months ago of the Alpena unloading. He liked the picture. Sunday the Alpena was back in town so Peter could compose his own image. We have found that there are several 600+ foot Lake Freighters that regularly bring lime stone, taconite, cement and other bulk freight to Cleveland. Rarely a weekend goes by that some vessels are not visiting the flats. That ought to put a curse on the 17-19th.

John

jp80874
04-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks Peter for your help. The building on the right of the ship is Christie’s Cabaret. Their website is kind enough to show a Google map, their address and a whole lot more. The map also shows the inlet where the Alpena docks.
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=1180+Main+Ave.+Cleveland,+Ohio&fb=1&gl=us&hnear=Memphis,+TN&cid=0,0,7185977170939795030&ei=xj7ITa7bOMKctwfxntCxBA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQnwIwAA

Shawn Dougherty
04-23-2013, 09:30 AM

John

Excellent work, John!

Dan Henderson
04-23-2013, 11:37 AM

John

A beautiful portrait of a lovely old laker, John. One of the few things I miss about living in Holland is no longer getting to watch the freighters in the harbor there. My favorite was always the Joseph H. Frantz, one of the classic forward pilot house Great Lakes Freighters, as is the Alpena. The Frantz used to haul coal into Holland Harbor often. I saw her a few years ago going through the Soo Locks under a foreign flag, then later on over in Port Colborne, Ontario as she was being scrapped. Such an ignominious end for a lovely lady of the lakes.

jp80874
04-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Thank you both. I can’t think of two friends whose work I respect more. That is a very nice compliment.

When I saw on the app that the Alpena had arrived I rushed over there to set up. I use the term “rushed” loosely. My average first shot takes about an hour. There were four seniors standing around with old 35mm cameras in worn leather cases snapping quick ones. One came over to tell me all about the Alpena. “She is the oldest freighter on the Great Lakes, built 100 years ago, etc.” I may have looked strangely, because the app gives her year built as 1943. I am older than that. This is pretty old for a Laker, because their life is pretty rough with as little maintenance as possible, but 100 years she is not. Later Google said that there was an side wheeler freighter called Alpena built 100 years ago, but either they had made a nice conversion or this was a newer version. You know those older photographers tend to boast and can be pretty unreliable.

John

Robburrito
04-23-2013, 08:46 PM
The gentleman had the Alpena mixed up with another cement carrier, the St. Mary's Challenger, which actually is 106 years old and still in service. But that ship stays over on Lake Michigan and very very rarely travels to the other lakes. I love shooting the lake freighters but the Alpena is one that has always eluded me.

Robburrito
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Also Hello, my name is Rob, I shoot a number of different things but at the moment I am heaviest into instant films, Fuji packfilm in a Polaroid 110B conversion camera. Plus a lot of medium format in a number of different things, folding cameras, 6x6 SLR, rangefinder. I'm kinda all over the place :D

jp80874
04-23-2013, 09:05 PM
The gentleman had the Alpena mixed up with another cement carrier, the St. Mary's Challenger, which actually is 106 years old and still in service. But that ship stays over on Lake Michigan and very very rarely travels to the other lakes. I love shooting the lake freighters but the Alpena is one that has always eluded me.

Robburrito will you be joining us?

We have seen the Alpina a few times, but I don't have access to her schedule. It is regular because that whole fascility to the left of the ship in the picture is for unloading her. Virtually every weekend since we discovered this app there have been 600 foot freighters in Cleveland, some going way up the crooked river. How they get around these bends is really amazing, some times involving a tug, but most go with just thrusters. Nicely they have to go slow enough for 1 or 2 second exposures around the bends. To me what is interesting is how far out of whack they throw the scale of things; big ship, small tug, tight corners, low bridges, the communication between the ships and the lift bridges. 100 car trains stop to let the ships pass under a bridge. It has become a major part of this year's 7x17 photo series for me.

John

PS

As I write there are two ships in Cleveland:
Calumet, 192 meters
Lee A Tregurtha, 237 meters

and the Sam Laud, 194 meters, passing Detroit on her way to Cleveland in the morning

Dan Henderson
04-24-2013, 09:56 AM
John: If you have not already, you might try the Boatnerd website. The amateur spotters who send in reports seem to keep a pretty keen eye on where ships are in the Lakes.

Axle
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
The site I use for tracking boats is this one: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

rbender
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Very nice print John! Perfect use of the frame.

Look forward to seeing it and the rest of the crew in May.

jp80874
04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
John: If you have not already, you might try the Boatnerd website. The amateur spotters who send in reports seem to keep a pretty keen eye on where ships are in the Lakes.

It is funny. About last October, Peter and I were shooting every Sunday because I had been chased off work sites on weekdays and sometimes they work over time on Saturdays. Dolly and I had just gotten an IPad. I found we were Googling much more with that than we ever had with PCs.

I searched on “what ships are in the port of Cleveland?” Boatnerd came up. That led to http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/. Thanks Axle.

That led to AIS’ apps for IOS, IPhone and IPad. That is how I got there.

I usually check the night before a shoot, then the morning before I leave for the Flats and during the day of a shoot to see if any in port ship is moving to a place where I have access and light at that time of day. Some of the ships go to one place, others delivering limestone seem to anchor off whisky island, then unload south of whisky island. I can’t get there, then go way up river where we can go. Often if the timing is right we can catch the ship being pulled around bends in the river, going under bridges. It is all very interesting if you are into this sort of thing. Rocks and roots it is not.