PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Gathering, May 17-18-19, 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

jp80874
04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Very nice print John! Perfect use of the frame.

Look forward to seeing it and the rest of the crew in May.

Thanks Robert. I really liked your two series last year. I hope you have new stuff to see in May.

jp80874
04-24-2013, 05:10 PM
There are an amazing number of abandoned buildings in the Flats, some really ugly, but some with fantastic architectural detail. This is the lower two floors of the Armory taken from the lift bridge a ľ mile downstream from Collision Bend. Isn’t that a name to push your imagination? The intense late morning sun causes very high contrast negatives and the stone work to just sparkle.

rbender
04-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Another nice one... How long of a drive is it from your house to the flats?

Darkroom has been up and running for awhile, will have some new stuff.

jp80874
04-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Another nice one... How long of a drive is it from your house to the flats?

Darkroom has been up and running for awhile, will have some new stuff.

Thanks Robert. I really respect your work. Glad to know the darkroom is functioning and there is more good work in the pipe.

This is just some of the variety in the Flats. Commute time depends on the day and time. If I am planning to meet Peter Sunday at 9:00 AM I leave the house about 8:15- 8:30. He is always late. :laugh: I never go more than +5 the speed limit because the whole route north of the turnpike is a radar trap, just different communities meeting budget.

By the way, Peter knows lots of good places for lunch.

It is really fun shooting with someone who has similar interests, a good eye and yet shoots a different format. We feed off each other's ideas. One never takes from the other because of the different formats. The sum here is greater than the parts.

jp80874
04-26-2013, 09:28 PM
I check the marine app every Friday night just to see what the weekend might bring to the Flats.

In port:
Sea Eagle II, pusher tug, 164m, brings liquid cement to another factory up stream. See cell phone photo

Sam Laud, 194m, limestone, way upstream
Ohio, 33m tug
Nancy Ann, tug, no length given
Kathy Lynn, tug, 26m
Dorothy Ann Pathfinder, 215m, anchored off port, usually carries limestone.
Coast Guard, Neah Bay, tug 13m
Aura, tug

Expected:
Tonight, Manitowoc, no measure given, but looks to be 200m bulk carrier bringing limestone to Cleveland.
Tomorrow, Buffalo, 194m, coming through locks at Sault St. Marie, probably carrying taconite for the steel mills
Tomorrow, American Courage, 188m, off Saginaw Bay probably carrying taconite for the steel mills.

Just another day in crummy old Cleveland where nothing interesting ever passes before my camera. Come to the gathering and lets see what is in town that weekend, probably nothing.

Sorry. Either I have a stereo phone camera or my finger stuttered.

jp80874
04-27-2013, 08:11 AM
The Flats is an area of contrasts. Sunday mornings when Peter and I usually shoot it is deserted, no people in sight. There is always an undercurrent of business. The ships come and go. There is a warehouse district. Huge tank trucks rumble down the potholed streets. There is a remarkable amount of protection. When you realize how often Police cars pass, you realize why it is best to photograph in pairs, especially if one of you will be under a dark cloth. Protection has a silver lining. One day I passed the fire station just as they started to test the fireboat tug. It took a little fast exploring to find a shooting point, but here is another aspect of the Flats.

jp80874
04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Peter Spangeberg has set up a fantastic page on Facebook with pictures he has taken in the Cleveland Flats. Though we have often been shooting side by side I am really impressed with how different and good his work is relative to what I have seen. I always used to shoot alone but Peter has shown me some wonderful views and compositions. Thank you Peter.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=650202071661667&set=a.500452856636590.138361.100000156402186&type=1&theater

John P

jp80874
04-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Perhaps this image sums up the range of scale you will find on any foggy day in the Crocked River. The only thing missing is the single man rowing shell I saw go by while I was taking another picture.

John

ic-racer
05-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Perhaps this image sums up the range of scale you will find on any foggy day in the Crocked River. The only thing missing is the single man rowing shell I saw go by while I was taking another picture.

John

Love it! That subject matter is great for that camera!

jp80874
05-03-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks Dale.

Should you or anyone else want to shoot from this vantage point, I was at the bridge end, the outside of the river curve, toward Hooples, a tavern at 1930 Columbus Rd. , corner of Columbus and Franklin, in the Flats. Columbus Rd. runs across the bridge and its east end is at a Sunoco station near the Flat Iron Tavern where five of us met for lunch last event.

Use the marine app mentioned earlier to figure out when the ship or ships are coming. It only shows the ship’s path to that minute. You have to guess where it is going, and when, mostly by its cargo and other traffic in the river. Because of Collision Bend the captains know not to try and pass two moving ships in opposite direction. Another approach is to ask the bridge operator. Before I found the app, Peter and I asked different bridge operators when a ship was coming. They knew because they had to raise or turn the bridge. Most of the time they don’t have anything to do. The ones we have talked to were very helpful. I am sure there is always one grump.

John

jp80874
05-03-2013, 07:38 PM
I spent the day cleaning up, doing the first grass mowing, then repairing the tractor. Dolly, the Girls and I walked down to dollyís motherís house, about a half mile round trip. The trees were just coming into bloom. I wanted to mention that down the driveway may be some interesting shots for our guests. There is a large old barn that Dollyís mother bought, tore apart with two day laborers, numbered each part and reassembled in the early 1970s. There are several out buildings that are falling apart and about 90 acres of walking about, should you be interested. The camp ground is dry with nice lush grass. Lets hope we donít have two weeks of rain. We are looking forward to you all coming. The place will be as nice as we can make it. We hope you will come and enjoy.

Poor old Savannah, the oldest of our Girls, is now 13.5. Please be careful of her. She trips over herself, but will want to welcome or challenge each guest. A friendly hand and word will make all three happy. Do watch your step. This is a dog world. That is how the grass gets green and lush.

Welcome.

John, Dolly and the Girls

jp80874
05-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Rocks & Roots Restaurant Change

As many as five of us have met at Nelson Kennedy Ledges, roughly an hour east of here for early morning hikes and shoots. On a great suggestion from Peter’s wife we went to a delicious place called Randall’s in Garrettsville, OH for lunch.

Today, Saturday, Dolly went to a writer’s lecture at the library in Garrettsville. We tried Randall’s for Saturday lunch and found it closed even though the hours posted said it should be open. His garish looking motorcycle was parked in the owner’s slot. The doors were locked and the lights were out.

We found a pretty good substitute a couple of blocks away that will keep you from starving. Sean’s Pub and Eatery, 8105 Main St., is a tavern from the 1800s with 10x10 posts and beams. Good food was in abundance. Not the exotic stories of Randall’s, but a good meal.

While Dolly was at the lecture I went up to Middlefield to the Amish Cheese Co-op. The extra sharp white cheddar is very good. Driving through Middlefield on the way back I saw a personal first, a Wal-Mart with 15 Amish buggies hitch to a rail along the side. There is a picture there I am sure.

John

djkloss
05-04-2013, 06:11 PM
is there a photorama on the 19th? I'd be very interested in going to that. Any other takers?

jp80874
05-05-2013, 05:49 AM
is there a photorama on the 19th? I'd be very interested in going to that. Any other takers?

The notice on their website, Photorama.com, is that the show is canceled. Sorry.

I didn't get a postcard. I wasn't even aware that it was scheduled.

John

Peter Spangenberg
05-05-2013, 07:28 PM
John's prints are MUCH better than the scans. He showed me a couple this morning while we were in the Flats shooting, and they were amazing. A Van Dyoke Brown and a silver print. He makes it look too easy. John also had a more productive day shooting, but at least it all ended with a good meal.

jp80874
05-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Gosh,
Thank you Peter. I know it must be sincere. If it weren't you would have said it before lunch and I would have felt compelled to buy.

We had fun in the flats. The Alpena was back again. Two more ships came to town. The bridge construction continued. There was much to see and do, but always best with a friend.

John

jp80874
05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
The ongoing bridge construction in the Flats is always exciting. Everytime you go there another piece of the puzzle is being put together. The dogs saw this and wanted to know if they could trade in their three foot long crates on something more appropriate to their station in life. They will probably be wanting a Porta Potty like this one in the background soon.

Shawn Dougherty
05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Rocks & Roots Restaurant Change

As many as five of us have met at Nelson Kennedy Ledges, roughly an hour east of here for early morning hikes and shoots. On a great suggestion from Peter’s wife we went to a delicious place called Randall’s in Garrettsville, OH for lunch.

Today, Saturday, Dolly went to a writer’s lecture at the library in Garrettsville. We tried Randall’s for Saturday lunch and found it closed even though the hours posted said it should be open. His garish looking motorcycle was parked in the owner’s slot. The doors were locked and the lights were out.

We found a pretty good substitute a couple of blocks away that will keep you from starving. Sean’s Pub and Eatery, 8105 Main St., is a tavern from the 1800s with 10x10 posts and beams. Good food was in abundance. Not the exotic stories of Randall’s, but a good meal.

While Dolly was at the lecture I went up to Middlefield to the Amish Cheese Co-op. The extra sharp white cheddar is very good. Driving through Middlefield on the way back I saw a personal first, a Wal-Mart with 15 Amish buggies hitch to a rail along the side. There is a picture there I am sure.

John

John,
=) Lynn and I tried to eat at Randall's last year, he was open and had customers but said he was now "by appointment only" and turned us away... Haven't tried Sean's Pub yet. We ended up eating at the Mill Street Grille and Brewery. They have some great food, too.

While I'm at it here is a print I made last night from a trip to Buttermilk Falls. It's a 6x6cm exposed with my Rolleiflex T.
"Cairn, Buttermilk Falls"

Or you can view it HERE (http://www.shawndougherty.com/p498857880/h5e947792#h5e947792) without the black background. And thanks to Dan for updating my vocabulary. =)

Robburrito
05-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I was not certain I could make this gathering until just recently, but everything works out and I look forward to meeting everyone! John, I have sent you a PM with details. Should be great! :D

-Rob

jp80874
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Shawn Dougherty;1495533]John,
=) Lynn and I tried to eat at Randall's last year, he was open and had customers but said he was now "by appointment only" and turned us away... Haven't tried Sean's Pub yet. We ended up eating at the Mill Street Grille and Brewery. They have some great food, too.

While I'm at it here is a print I made last night from a trip to Buttermilk Falls. It's a 6x6cm exposed with my Rolleiflex T.
"Cairn, Buttermilk Falls"

Thanks Shawn. Is Mill Street Grill in Garrettsvile?

Like the Buttermilk Falls shot. Wonderful. More of the same please.

John