piu58
03-09-2013, 12:58 AM
> Rollei 100 Retro to try myself.
That is Agfa APX 100 material

ozphoto
03-09-2013, 01:48 AM
> Rollei 100 Retro to try myself.
That is Agfa APX 100 material

Of course!:pinch:Brain freeze here - my all-time favourite film is APX 100. I have a truck load in the freezer - is it identical Uwe, or are there some minor, subtle differences?

piu58
03-09-2013, 04:31 PM
> there some minor, subtle differences?
No differences. Afga "converted" all remaining material (base, silver and so on) into apx film in 2005. This was cheaper than dispose it. The master rolls were freezed. I believe what we can buy today is some of the last material form this last but huge batch.

ozphoto
03-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Finally braved the (increased x 1 million cars!!!) BKK traffic to post off my cards today! Real stamps this time - guess they wanted me to exercise my stamp licking skills. . . . . :cool:

Fozzle
03-13-2013, 05:08 PM
My cards went in the post yesterday, most are going across the Pond but some to Europe so they should arrive shortly. Enjoy :)

edcculus
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
I dropped all of the postcards off today. Sorry for the delay!

ChristopherCoy
03-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Printed mine today. Will be mailed Monday!

megzdad81
03-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Mine are printed and half mailed--the international require I stand in line.

Uwe, your shot of the inn has piqued my wife's interest in Germany, but I'm telling her we don't want to stay there.

Mike, I am suprised with the contrast in your B&W shots for old paper. I have about 500 sheets of Kodak PCIII that I can only get decent whites out of if I don't run it through developer, even with using significant amounts of benzotriazole. Very nice

Dennis, your picture of the chain had the unfortunate impact of reminding me of my job, but I'm thinking of taking it to work and hanging it so they get the point ... I like the tones captured in the links

Darwin, your cairn reminded me of one I recently saw in a rain swollen stream--I should have shot it, but it was too far away and too dangerous. I continue to wonder at the effort to do that in the middle of flowing water ... Great texture in the cairn rocks.

Eugene--I know you found that shot of the power pole in east Tennessee--that's just how we do things here. The only hint that it might be somewhere if the lack of skunk roadkill. We can only home that there was some sort of reason for it ...

Matt, very interesting photograph, and I really like the texture of the wood. The tone of the water reflection is very pure and not overexposed like I always do. Don't you love when the straight print is the best?

horacekenneth
03-17-2013, 05:22 PM
All printed & mailed on Thursday or Friday last week and got a few in the mail.

Dennis, I appreciate the simplicity - there are only four things in the picture - but the composition and tones make it very interesting. Thank you for your abstract on the picture as well. I think sometimes the chains can be a good and beautiful reminder of what has past.

Barny, love the rocks on the piling. At first glance I wanted a little more white in the photo, but after studying it some more I think I really like the tones you did choose to pull out in the piling and the rocks. Very pretty.

Jim, the ducks and the water are so crisp, I almost feel like I'm there. Really quite pretty.

Thanks guys

drpsilver
03-18-2013, 02:03 AM
17 Mar 2013

I have received some really great cards. Here are my comments in no particular order (order determined by the pile on my desk).

The card from Fozzle has lots for the viewer to look for, and questions to ask.
Hankins27 sent a photo of old church. It would be cool to get inside to photograph. Sharp with good contrast.
BoxBrownie's print from India leads the viewer into a story of "What is this place, and what happens here?"
A lock and chain for rince demonstrates effective use of depth-of-focus.
Nice 4x5 contact print of sea foam from treddy (something I have been trying to do effectively for some time).
Great photo of a musician and his partner. I really like how Jim Christie captured the essence of this man.
Took me a minute to figure out which way was up in the photo sent by Matt King. Cool use of reflection as a visual element.
The photo from anikin is really strange. How does one use a road with a power pole in the middle of the lane?
The photo from Mardan prompts the the question "What is he thinking about?" Nicely done.
Mooseontheloose has produced yet another fantastic image. I really like the ethereal feel of this photo.
Cool high contrast photo from warejn. Nice use of light to show texture.
Nice photo of a young family of ducks from Jim17x. I like how you used the foreground to add depth to the photo.
The inn that piu58 photographed looked like it was a nice place to stay, at one time. Would be cool to get a look inside.
Initially the photo from pipoca gave me the feeling of being in a castle dungeon. Nice use of high contrast.
Of the three photos from Mike Wilde the Korean War Memorial I think is most effective. The soldiers almost look real.

That's all to-date. Looking forward to more.

Regards,
Darwin

ozphoto
03-18-2013, 02:22 AM
Only one card has arrived for the past week:

Hankins27 Old Church. Shot on my favourite film - APX100 - with lovely grain and contrast. Like Darwin, I'd love to get inside this one and shoot it to bits!!

kraker
03-18-2013, 05:03 AM
An update...

My cards were printed last week. I used old Agfa paper, the same I used a few rounds back. Back then, I had a big "curl" problem. This time, I tried drying using the print dryer, the result being that instead of curling inwards, they are now curling outwards. Not sure that's a big improvement...

They have spent about a week under a big heavy stack of books, I hope that helps (haven't dared to look yet). Depending on how bad the curl is, I might decide to send them in envelopes.

I have received some nice cards already, I will comment on them as soon as my own cards are posted.

mooseontheloose
03-18-2013, 07:58 AM
After a month in Laos and Thailand I'm finally back home and it was very exciting to get a huge pile of postcards in the mail today. In no particular order:

Two very nice but different portraits from ozphoto and JimChristie.
A nice contrasty image of corn from pipoca, as well as a slice of contact prints. In particular I like the images of the old truck.
Some soft old wood from warejn contrasts nicely with the rocks in drpsilver's "Cairn"
Water seems to be a popular theme this round, with a nice calm stillness from MattKing's "at the end of the deck", a more moody shot from TimReddy and his North Carolina pier, and some timeless images of ducks from Jim17x, and BoxBrownie's "Down by the Jetty".
anikin's "Honest, Officer" is just begging for an accident to happen, and I find Mardan's "call a pizza" kind of funny and sad at the same time.
Fozzle's "the future is now" really captures the progression of time/technology, especially with that faint carved head in the background.
hankins27's "Old Church" is a building I would love to photography myself someday.
Two prints from rince (I'm honored!) -- I really like the way you've captured more philosophical ideas in both "support and strength" and "fleeting moment".

Almost halfway there (15/37 cards) -- looking forward to seeing what else comes in this round!

anikin
03-18-2013, 08:18 PM
More postcards found their way to my home:

Barry's (trsvax) "Rock in Austin" Cool arrangement of rocks. Great idea.
"Cross at Daybreak" by unnamed. Very nice sunrise shot.
"The future is now" by Fozzle. Very modernistic. I love just the hint of the Egyptian head in the glass next to the robot.
"Streamside Detail 4" by Bob Slaughter It makes a nice texture abstract with sharp rocks and dreamy water.
MattKing's "At the end of the dock" A great composition. There is only a hint of the dock, which makes it a near-abstract print. I bet it's a stunning print when enlarged bigger!
"Old Church" by hankins27. Steve, you've managed the contrast really well. I bet it's a difficult print to make and keep the detail in both sky and the shadows. Great Job! It looks like it was quite an impressive building at one time...
"Down by the Jetty" by BoxBrownie. A great shot of India!

anikin
03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
A few more cards:
"What Remains" by moseontheloose. Rachelle, this is a perfect companion to the lith prints you sent to me earlier! Even the toning matches the lith prints. I love it. Thanks!
"Fleeting Moment" by rince. A shot of a lock and a chain. A great artsy shot. Nice!
"Cairn, Bacugnaga" by drpselver. A rock formation ... and a nice philosophical image.
"A Fan" by Jim Christie. A great shot of a street performer at the Pike Place Market. I'm always fond of shot of musician and street performers. It's winner!
And the last but not least is "call a pizza" by mardam Damn, I miss Europe! This card is my favourite so far in this exchange. And the chef in front of the restaraunt just makes it perfect!

edcculus
03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Haha, I've been trolling this thread to see if my postcard had showed up for anyone yet. I read Anikin's post and realized I forgot to put my username on the card!

I'm Ed Struble (edcculus) and did the Cross at Sunrise shot.

Pfiltz
03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Haha, I've been trolling this thread to see if my postcard had showed up for anyone yet. I read Anikin's post and realized I forgot to put my username on the card!

I did the same thing. Makes you think what the folks on the other end thought, when they received a print from someone that they don't know, nor are aware that is was from this exchange.

edcculus
03-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I did however put basic photo info (camera, film, developer etc), and its printed on Ilford Postcard paper, so mine should be pretty obvious they are for the exchange. Hopefully everyone who signed up knows they have some coming!

Jim17x
03-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I did however put basic photo info (camera, film, developer etc), and its printed on Ilford Postcard paper, so mine should be pretty obvious they are for the exchange. Hopefully everyone who signed up knows they have some coming!

I received your card today.. "Cross at Sunrise" Great card.. Thanks! A name or exchange number would be good because i didn't know if it was from this round because im still waiting on a few from the last round.. Also i received great cards from "horacekenneth" and another card with no name or exchange number.. "Streamside Detail 4" with the name "Slaughter" on the envelope.. Thanks for the great cards everyone!

I just found my mailing list and that card must be from "megzdad81"

horacekenneth
03-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Jim, which one did I send you, haha