PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange #28 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Jim Christie
04-20-2013, 09:53 AM
I've received a few more recently-

George Nova Scotia Shadows On Snow Lovely interplay of light and shadow. A really peaceful scene.
Delphine Rainy Day Very interesting blurring effect using water. Nice way to make use of a day where many might skip going out to photograph. The postcard fold feature was a nice touch as well.
ChristopherCoy Beignets for Breakfast Like the placement of the subject and the depth of field treatment -- it's like their teasing us from between the glasses. Also, I'm writing this before breakfast, and looking at the picture is making me quite hungry!
Jimo Sunshine Skyway The perspective chosen for this photo was great -- really conveys the scale of the structure. Seems like it goes on forever.

Thanks to all for sharing these wonderful images.

ozphoto
04-21-2013, 11:50 PM
George Nova Scotia Picnic Time? Love the view with the snow-capped roof, picnic benches that look as if the have soft white cushions just waiting to be used for a picnic. (Would love to have a light snowfall here in BBK - the heat over the past several weeks, has been rather oppressive.)

megzdad81
04-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Andy Carson-Oxleyroad--Termite Mounds--wonderful shot. I had seen pictures of African termite mounds but these are different. Does Australia have anteaters? The strangest thing is, this postcard got my wife the most vocal about traveling to Australia! Now, if in the next round you could send a stellar postcard from New Zealand, I might be able to seal that deal!

Thanks--for the next round I will try to send something more iconic from Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

George Nova Scotia
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Next week: Sign up starts for Round 29

ozphoto
04-23-2013, 09:45 PM

Great news! My mailbox needs yet another dose of joy and international imagery!!!:cool:

ChristopherCoy
04-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Put me down for the max again. LOL

edcculus
04-26-2013, 07:59 PM
I've neglected to post which cards I've gotten

ChristopherCoy Beignets for breakfast mmm looks delicious!
JimO Tampa Bay love the detail in the cloudsmooseontheloose stranglehold wow what an incredible tree!Delphine Rainy Day I really love this shot. You really get a different perspective by gettting in close or looking it from further away. GreGeorge Nova Scotia Picnic Time - What a lovely shot. Such great contrast yet so soft at the same time.

This was a lot of fun everyone! I love getting these in the mail. Sure beats bills. I may not be able to participate in the next one. If my promotion goes through I'll be moving to NYC (well actually Jersey) where I may or may not be able to have a darkroom. Crossing my fingers to be able to afford a 2 bathroom apartment or even an extra closet.

mjs
04-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Postcards mailed today, except for Bluejeh2 for whom I have left a question. This has been an excellent exchange and I am grateful for all the hard work you folks have put into your postcards!

Mike

JimO
04-28-2013, 04:32 PM
I've neglected to post which cards I've gotten[B]

...[/I]This was a lot of fun everyone! I love getting these in the mail. Sure beats bills. I may not be able to participate in the next one. If my promotion goes through I'll be moving to NYC (well actually Jersey) where I may or may not be able to have a darkroom. Crossing my fingers to be able to afford a 2 bathroom apartment or even an extra closet.

nothing like having a darkroom in your home, but i'm sure there are plenty fo darkrooms in the nyc metro area that you'll have access to... lotsa apuggers and other... schools, etc.

sometimes i dream of moving back... i think i prefer it as a dream. have fun. you'll love it.

jvo

pipoca
04-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Pipoca -- I really like the detail--I am a sucker for landscape and landscape details. I constantly have to tell myself to get closer. I know what you mean about the allergy to the tree--any time I prune our cedar-type bushes, I break out. I think there's an aromatic oil in them.

Funny you say you are constantly telling yourself to get closer, I'm trying to get further away myself. I shoot close like that, and I very rarely shoot wide out. I want to shoot wide, but I don't know how. That or I don't do it enough so I'm lacking the skill that's developed out of practice/vision.

George Nova Scotia's,Shadows on Snow came in. I'm a little late on replying that. It had me keep saying that it was some kind of arrangement in the studio. The lighting and surface kept playing tricks on me, but at the same time I kept believing it was something aside from the studio. I flip it over, yup. I was right and wrong, haha. Thanks.

I also got a post from Jim O

Like I mentioned up above to Megzdad, I'm struggling to shoot wide, so it's nice to see something that is something I have trouble doing. I really don't use much gray, but the tonality is pleasant. I'll keep that in mind for future reference :laugh:

George Nova Scotia
04-30-2013, 09:13 PM
The SIGN_UP FOR ROUND 29 (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/118069-postcard-exchange-round-29-sign.html)has started. Just click one the words <-

Thanks everyone for their comments in Round 28, I'm sure there are a few more to come.

If you haven't sent your cards for Round 28 it's time to enter panic mode and get them out, please don't let the other folks down.

haslguitar
05-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Just to update everyone:
I am extremely sorry for the HUGE delay. I have had the cards printed for some time now. Not to get into unnecessary details, my wife and I had our first child in December, things came up (nothing bad) recently that put a larger than normal financial burden on us. I wanted to conserve every bit of money just to be careful. I feel awful that I had to wait this long. The cards will go out first thing in the morning. Hopefully this doesn't discredit me as a forum member, but if it does, it should surely give me credit as a father and husband. :) ahah. We made it through fine. Our daughter is beautiful. I'll be uploading a few photos I took of her soon. Good day to everyone. I think I'll sit this next round out. I'd like to have a superb negative before joining again.
-Cody

darkroom
05-01-2013, 07:15 PM
i just recieved 2 prints from bavendt, nice, thanks

ozphoto
05-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Just to update everyone:
I am extremely sorry for the HUGE delay. I have had the cards printed for some time now. Not to get into unnecessary details, my wife and I had our first child in December, things came up (nothing bad) recently that put a larger than normal financial burden on us. I wanted to conserve every bit of money just to be careful. I feel awful that I had to wait this long. The cards will go out first thing in the morning. Hopefully this doesn't discredit me as a forum member, but if it does, it should surely give me credit as a father and husband. :) ahah. We made it through fine. Our daughter is beautiful. I'll be uploading a few photos I took of her soon. Good day to everyone. I think I'll sit this next round out. I'd like to have a superb negative before joining again.
-Cody

Congratulations Cody!

I'm sure the wait for your postcard will be most worthwhile - enjoy being a doting husband & father; many, many photo opportunities now in the works for you. :)

rst
05-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Oh well! I printed mine so that I could have sent in week one of the exchange and then, somehow there was never the right time to write and address them until yesterday. And now they are in the mail. Sorry to everyone for taking so long and really, I do not even have an excuse - like a newborn child which in my opinion is the best excuse you can ever have. So congratulations Cody. :)

I think I do not deserve getting the great postcards I received so far. Thanks to everyone.

Cheers
Ruediger

edcculus
05-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Just to update everyone:
-Cody
I feel you! I have a 10 month old and its still a challenge to get into the darkroom. Hell, its a challenge to get the lawn mowed, much less do things I actually WANT to do!

piu58
05-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Yesterday I found a very beautiful card in my letterbox: Man with his horse from mjs. I think it was not too easy to get an decent gray tone for the skin - in the shadow of the hat. The dark horse gives a nice contrast.

ozphoto
05-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Man with His Horse also arrived in BKK today.
As Uwe said, great tones for both the man and his horse.

mjs
05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
The stream of postcards seems to have stopped for this round. I've received cards from 27 lovely people:

A dark & moody piece, perhaps a transit base, from Pfiltz
A philosophical piece, from Black Dog
Three thoughtful prints from Mike Wilde
“Streamside Detail 4” but it has become separated from the envelope so I don't know from whom it is, sorry!
Termite Mounds from Oxleyroad
“Bustling or empty – 12 -crossing” from Kraker
Sunshine Skyway bridge from Jimo
Drew, from Ozphoto
Call a Pizza, from Mardan (Da Vinci's in Elkhart, IN USA has the best pizza I know of, anywhere. And I know pizza! :))
The clever folding rainy day window, from Delphine
Beignets for Breakfast, from ChristopherCoy
Pineapple, from Horacekenneth
Cairn, Macugnaga, Italy from drpsilver
Cross at Daybreak, from ??? (Postmarked Asheville, NC) which interestingly arrived on the Friday before Easter
Rock'n in Austin from trsvax
Down by the Jetty, by Boxbrownie
Old Church by hankins27
Shadows on Snow from George Nova Scotia
At the End of the Dock from MattKing
North Carolina Pier, from treddy
Fleeting Moment, from rince
Wat Remains, from mooseontheloose
A photograph of stone in raking light, from warejn
A Couple Ducks, from Jim17x
Honest, Officer from anikin
Cypress Tree in Pedernales State Park from pipoca
Old Inn in Dobilz from piu58

Thank you very much for sending me such wonderful things!

mjs

piu58
05-06-2013, 02:26 AM
At saturday I recieved a very fine card from Rüdiger, detail of the Louvre. Pars pro toto!