PDA

View Full Version : APUG Photo Challenge - Suggestions for Feb 2005

Pages : 1 [2] 3

rbarker
01-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Is this another suggestion for nudes??? ;) haha
:D
I hadn't actually considered nudes, Jeanette, but your sense of humor is greatly appreciated. :D

roteague
01-10-2005, 05:10 PM
How about "Light"

I like the idea of "Light", but perhaps it could be developed a bit further.

jnanian
01-10-2005, 05:13 PM
how about a cameraless print - photogram/rayogram.
that doesn't mean you can't put material in the enlarger :)

BWGirl
01-10-2005, 05:15 PM
How about "castoffs"...things thrown away...discards?

As much as I love "Light"...we haven't had any in about a week and I'm not sure I'd recognize it...sigh.

S

I hear you on the lack of light!! Of course, since this is for February....and I'll be in Maui... hehehe! ;)

But I like your idea of castoffs or things disgarded. So is someone going to post this as a poll question after a wee bit more input? I'm still working on the january self-portrait thing.

Les McLean
01-10-2005, 05:26 PM
As much as I love "Light"...we haven't had any in about a week and I'm not sure I'd recognize it...sigh.

S

Light does not have to be bright sunlight or even filtered sunlight, it is there everywhere we look at any time, all you have to do is indentify it and photograph it and what it illuminates. Have you thought of the concept that light can be dark?

FrankB
01-11-2005, 03:22 AM
Have you thought of the concept that light can be dark?

"Light can be dark". That's heavy...

Erm... :confused:

:D

TPPhotog
01-11-2005, 03:25 AM
"Light can be dark". That's heavy...

Erm... :confused:

:DFrank you beat me to it, I might need medication after the Feb. challenge :o

oriecat
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
If I have a headache for the next week, I'm blaming Les. ;)

Les McLean
01-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Come on guys the concept is not that difficult. Think of the images made by the great photographers and painters and recall how they saw light and then used it. They didn't only make images on bright sunny days and use the obvious light, they found a way to express the light that they saw and it is sometimes dark.
You'll have to crack this one for I don't want to be held responsible for oriecat's headaches and TPPHOTOG's dependency on medication. :)

andrewmoodie
01-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I think we're getting close. How about some kind of unconventional use of light?

If the subject was just regular old light and shadows I'd take the same kind of picture that I've enjoyed taking for years but it would look kind of run of the mill.

I think "light can be dark" is a good starting point.

The whole point of this thread is to get us to try new things no?

TPPhotog
01-11-2005, 12:52 PM
.... You'll have to crack this one for I don't want to be held responsible for oriecat's headaches and TPPHOTOG's dependency on medication. :)
That's a shame Les I was hoping you would send down the medication in the form of a good sigle malt :)

So if I get this correcly, we will be photographing the light (or lack of it) rather than the subject itself?

.... The whole point of this thread is to get us to try new things no?
No ... errrm yes ... try new things YEP.

BWGirl
01-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Well, I'm game for the 'light is dark' concept...or the concept of light being more than just 'light'... I guess I've never really thought much about it as an entity.

Les McLean
01-11-2005, 01:03 PM
That's a shame Les I was hoping you would send down the medication in the form of a good sigle malt :)

So if I get this correcly, we will be photographing the light (or lack of it) rather than the subject itself?

No ... errrm yes ... try new things YEP.

Tony, the single malt falling down water as straight medication? Now I'm getting really worried about you. :(

The decision as to what is the February subject is not mine to take, surely that's up to Frank who started this thread. I just suggested "light" but I think Andrew's modification to "light can be dark" is really excellent, well done Andrew.

TPPhotog
01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Tony, the single malt falling down water as straight medication? Now I'm getting really worried about you. :(

The decision as to what is the February subject is not mine to take, surely that's up to Frank who started this thread. I just suggested "light" but I think Andrew's modification to "light can be dark" is really excellent, well done Andrew.
Les, Sleep-over shift followed by inhaling Rodinal fumes is a dangerous combination :o

Light and / or lack of it, is an interesting concept which would certainly take some thought. Well worth adding to the list to see what the group decision is.

Flotsam
01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
We usually think of light as defining an object. Les's suggestion of making an image in which Light itself is the major element or subject is interesting.

What about "Line". Anything where the predominant subject is a line of some sort.
When I was in college, My instructor for Fundamentals of Design allowed me to do the course assignments photographically. That was well... um... let's say a few years ago and lately I've been thinking about picking up a FoD textbook and working out a personal assignment of making photographs that specifically feature individual design components such as line, shape, pattern, texture, use of negative space, etc. as the theme.
Over time, photography can become so spontaneous or perhaps instinctive that I feel that I would benefit from making an effort to reaquaint myself and become more consciously aware of the varied elements that can be used to create a composition.

mikeb_z5
01-11-2005, 02:57 PM
I like the "light can be dark" idea too.

Mike

rbarker
01-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Well, I've checked all of the usual sources, and no one is selling infra-black film, which is what I assume would be needed to create images with darkness. ;)

"Light can be dark" does have a certain ring to it, however. Lots of room for creative interpretation (and reciprocity wrecks).

TPPhotog
01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
At this rate we could have themes right up until May which would be great !! Maybe this one would be a good time to try out the Delta 3200 with Rodinal :D

mark
01-11-2005, 06:27 PM
SO, is there a consensous? I actually want to participate in this one.

smieglitz
01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Perhaps a bit of inspiration for that light is dark thing:

http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/cjackson/magritte/p-magritte15.htm