PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Sale Near

RattyMouse
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
This article mentions that a big chunk of Kodak is about to be sold off. Yet there is no mention of film. Can anyone understand what this means for Kodak's film division?

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/info-tech/personalised-imaging-eastman-kodak-to-announce-buyer-soon/article4452451.ece?homepage=true&ref=wl_home

Prof_Pixel
02-27-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't think this means much. Here in Rochester there have been rumors only of a buyer. I'll believe it when I see it.

MattKing
02-27-2013, 08:26 PM
"Personalized Imaging" includes the sale and distribution of still film and colour paper.

They plan on retaining manufacture of still film and colour paper, as well as the manufacture, sale and distribution of motion picture film.

Steve Roberts
02-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Anyone care to comment on whether the reinstatement of E6 films is a technical possibility for any new buyer? I'm not going to dwell on the economics, but wonder if the equipment still exists and is serviceable if the will was there.
Best wishes,
Steve

AgX
02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
E-6 film manufacture does not need any other machinery than any other multi-layer (as C-41 film) film manufacture.

Rudeofus
02-28-2013, 02:54 PM
E-6 film manufacture does not need any other machinery than any other multi-layer (as C-41 film) film manufacture.

There is/was quite a bit of specialized chemistry (sensitizers, dye couplers, ...) necessary for each E6 product which may have been discontinued after (or before?) Kodak dumped their E6 line of products.

NolanGalbreath
02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
There is/was quite a bit of specialized chemistry (sensitizers, dye couplers, ...) necessary for each E6 product which may have been discontinued after (or before?) Kodak dumped their E6 line of products.

Fuji still makes E6. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but the chemicals are out there somewhere.

That said, I still doubt kodak will restart making E6. There's a reason why they stopped in the first place. Then again, I can't even remotely claim to have any knowledge of the subject other than speculation, so...

Rudeofus
03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Fuji still makes E6. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but the chemicals are out there somewhere.
That doesn't mean that Fuji's emulsions use the same sensitizers or dyes as Kodak does, note that their characteristics are quite different, and also don't forget that patents exist on many of these compounds to prevent copycat products. Add to that the fact that Fuji might well synthesize some of these compounds specifically for their own product line with no intention to jump start competitors.

EASmithV
03-02-2013, 12:01 PM
even without competitors Fuji is raping their own E6 line.

RattyMouse
03-02-2013, 04:10 PM

What????

ME Super
03-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Hmm, let's see. Fuji still makes Velvia 50 and 100, and Provia 100F and 400X in 35mm and 120. I'm quite happy with Velvia 100 and Provia 100F - doing an experiment now pushing a roll of Provia 100F to 320. Why? Because I can. :)

Tebbiebear
03-02-2013, 09:53 PM
What????

I think he means that they have discontinued Sensia and Astia. Which does suck, but if there was a sustainable market for fuji to make them they would still be made.

EASmithV
03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
And Velvia 50 in 4x5. Which was the very film that put Kodak E6 in trouble, according to the internet.

benjiboy
03-04-2013, 04:53 AM
I think he means that they have discontinued Sensia and Astia. Which does suck, but if there was a sustainable market for fuji to make them they would still be made.
Very true, don't lose sight of the fact company s exist to make a profit for the benefit of their shareholders, not the convenience of their customers.

Roger Cole
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM

A Fuji spokesman was quoted here saying that they are not opposed to bringing back canceled films and he considered Astia their best ever slide film and its lack of success was due to a marketing failure. I agree. Absolutely beautiful film. But Fuji pioneered over the top color saturation in slide film and the market no longer seemed to appreciate realistic color and moderate contrast.