PDA

View Full Version : Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

StoneNYC
03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
No.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

But that's an old article that is superseded by this listing of a new box for Velvia 50, or am I missing something?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

LunoLuno
03-08-2013, 05:38 PM
But that's an old article that is superseded by this listing of a new box for Velvia 50, or am I missing something?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd better not forget that the latest official announcement from Fuji was issued for the Japanese domestic market exclusively; Velvia 50 4X5 has never been discontinued here yet, so far at least. And I think it should also be reminded that the article in the BJP was just an "excerpt" from the interview with the rep of the Fuji's UK department rather than an "official anouncement" released from Fujifilm itself. It is highly likely that "stop importing some range of films to the UK" could have been misinterpreted as "discontinuation of the product".

Luno

StoneNYC
03-08-2013, 06:20 PM
You'd better not forget that the latest official announcement from Fuji is issued for the Japanese domestic market exclusively; Velvia 50 4X5 has never been discontinued here yet, so far at least. And I think it should also be reminded that the article in the BJP was just an "excerpt" from the interview with the rep of the Fuji's UK department rather than an "official anouncement" released from Fujifilm itself. It is highly likely that "stop importing some ranege of films to the UK" could have been misinterpreted as "discontinuation of the product".

Luno

Good point... We shall see I suppose :)

~Stone

RattyMouse
03-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Looks very bad for Provia 400X. Very very bad.

David Nardi
03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Looks very bad for Provia 400X. Very very bad.

Think positive, maybe they like the box design of Provia 400X and decided not to change it as it's already a departure from the current box designs. I use Provia 400X, 100F and Velvia 50 in all assorted sizes regularly.

I'm surprised to hear that Fuji Velvia 50 4x5 and 8x10 is still out there to be taken advantage of despite the discontinuation announcement last summer which had everyone freaked out. BTW, I just bought 3 boxes of Velvia 50 8x10 from Adorama Camera for $219.99 a box. Exp is April 2014. I know it's the old box design but looks like they still have more for anyone else interested.

I will continue to hunt down and use all these great films regardless of where they need to be purchased from. It may get pricier but at least my photography will improve by being more selective. It's just like when I shoot LF vs smaller formats. I walk away with more prized keepers at the end of the day with LF.

I can't see a world without film, can you? That's why I will bicker less about cost and just buy what I can, when I can, to keep Fuji and even Kodak (I use some colour neg) doing what they've done best all these years.

RattyMouse
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Think positive.......

Heh heh heh......nice pun.

silentworld
03-11-2013, 01:12 PM
So is the price increase for Japanese market only as well? Anyone heard anything from B&H on the coming pricing increase?

Fuji film price has just been increased in the US a few months ago. 35mm Velvia 50 is now $8.59 per roll, up from around $6 in 2011 (according to my not so reliable memory). I would hate to see it up by another 25%, which means that the same Velvia will be sold at $10.74, almost doubling from a couple of years ago. :(

iulian
03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
So is the price increase for Japanese market only as well? Anyone heard anything from B&H on the coming pricing increase?

Fuji film price has just been increased in the US a few months ago. 35mm Velvia 50 is now $8.59 per roll, up from around $6 in 2011 (according to my not so reliable memory). I would hate to see it up by another 25%, which means that the same Velvia will be sold at $10.74, almost doubling from a couple of years ago. :(

It should be japan only, since the yen fell quite a bit in value over the last year and they should recoup that. Silver has been constant and with the down-turn in the economy so should be the other raw materials.

silentworld
03-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks! fingers crossed for that. I really don't want to stockpile on film as it is always better to buy fresh.

Poisson Du Jour
03-13-2013, 12:56 AM

You think you've got something to whinge about?
In Australia, Velvia 50 135/36 is $32 a roll. Or $164 for a ProPack (5).
So there must be room for you to pay a bit more with the next scheduled increase... :pouty:

StoneNYC
03-13-2013, 02:43 AM
You think you've got something to whinge about?
In Australia, Velvia 50 135/36 is $32 a roll. Or $164 for a ProPack (5).
So there must be room for you to pay a bit more with the next scheduled increase... :pouty:

Wow!!! If I visit, am I allowed to bring my own?

I would think shipping it from B&H would still save you money with those prices...

~Stone

Brian C. Miller
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
If you send too much film on ahead of you at one time, they will levy a business/professional tax on it.

Poisson Du Jour
03-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Wow!!! If I visit, am I allowed to bring my own?

I would think shipping it from B&H would still save you money with those prices...

~Stone

I actually obtain my Velvia & Provia from eBay. At around $5.95/roll (5 Pack). Retailers at GST, mark up, arbitrary margin... all manner of things that have yet to be satisfactorily explained for the unreasonably high price that is shifting buyers away from bricks and mortar to online.

StoneNYC
03-15-2013, 10:21 PM
If you send too much film on ahead of you at one time, they will levy a business/professional tax on it.

Well I wouldn't ship it at all, I would carry it on the plane with me. That was my question, can I do that?

~Stone

Poisson Du Jour
03-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Well I wouldn't ship it at all, I would carry it on the plane with me. That was my question, can I do that?

~Stone

Carry "what" and "how much" of it on the plane?
This is the grey area. If Customs views your film cache as a "commercial quantity", it will be subjected to GST and importation charges unless you can prove it is not a commercial quantity (and that is the tricky part!). You can buy film here, or its purchase can be arranged for you online by any person you organise it with. Besides which, buying retail film in Australia is quite silly and strictly for emergencies; online has made a severe impact on bricks and mortar dispensing of film and will continue to do so as prices rise.

StoneNYC
03-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Carry "what" and "how much" of it on the plane?
This is the grey area. If Customs views your film cache as a "commercial quantity", it will be subjected to GST and importation charges unless you can prove it is not a commercial quantity (and that is the tricky part!). You can buy film here, or its purchase can be arranged for you online by any person you organise it with. Besides which, buying retail film in Australia is quite silly and strictly for emergencies; online has made a severe impact on bricks and mortar dispensing of film and will continue to do so as prices rise.

Right but shipping to Australia is ALSO expensive, why spend all that extra money when I can buy it at B&H and just carry it.

Maybe if I unwrap them all it would prove I'm not in it to be commercial as you can't sell open packages?

Depends on how long I would be staying. A rough estimate/guesstimate ... 2-3 rolls of Velvia and 2-4 rolls of B&W per day spent in Australia.

So if I came for a week, 2 bricks of Velvia, 2 bricks of Acros, 2 of PanF+ and maybe 1 Delta3200 and one Delta 400?

~Stone

MattKing
03-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Right but shipping to Australia is ALSO expensive, why spend all that extra money when I can buy it at B&H and just carry it.

Maybe if I unwrap them all it would prove I'm not in it to be commercial as you can't sell open packages?

Depends on how long I would be staying. A rough estimate/guesstimate ... 2-3 rolls of Velvia and 2-4 rolls of B&W per day spent in Australia.

So if I came for a week, 2 bricks of Velvia, 2 bricks of Acros, 2 of PanF+ and maybe 1 Delta3200 and one Delta 400?

~Stone

I'd be more concerned with the immigration authorities - they might assume you are there to work, and ask you for your work Visa (after googling you, of course).

StoneNYC
03-16-2013, 12:29 AM
I'd be more concerned with the immigration authorities - they might assume you are there to work, and ask you for your work Visa (after googling you, of course).

Well as a photographer, all vacations are "work vacations" so that's confusing...

~Stone

MattKing
03-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Well as a photographer, all vacations are "work vacations" so that's confusing...

~Stone

You need to check to find out if you require a Visa/permit.

Many countries do.

If I cross the border into the USA (a 15 minute drive on a good day) and say that I'm picking up something photographic the US border officials will often question me carefully about my intentions, because:

1) If they think I am working as a photographer when I am in the USA (including shooting stock, or on spec) they will exclude me from the country, unless I have obtained the necessary Visa/permit ahead of time; and
2) If they think that I am acquiring commercial goods from the USA, for import to Canada, I also need to prepare the appropriate commercial export paperwork.

Having high-end equipment when you travel raises suspicion - expect them to try to find your web presence.

StoneNYC
03-16-2013, 01:39 AM
You need to check to find out if you require a Visa/permit.

Many countries do.

If I cross the border into the USA (a 15 minute drive on a good day) and say that I'm picking up something photographic the US border officials will often question me carefully about my intentions, because:

1) If they think I am working as a photographer when I am in the USA (including shooting stock, or on spec) they will exclude me from the country, unless I have obtained the necessary Visa/permit ahead of time; and
2) If they think that I am acquiring commercial goods from the USA, for import to Canada, I also need to prepare the appropriate commercial export paperwork.

Having high-end equipment when you travel raises suspicion - expect them to try to find your web presence.

What if I'm traveling into Canada to make prints from negatives from a printer in Canada? Is that also not ok?

~Stone