PDA

View Full Version : Fotokemika museum

aleksmiesak
03-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I don't know if this has been shared here yet. Found it interesting and I thought I'd pass it along here. I hope the project is successful and one day I would love to go see the museum.

http://believeinfilm.com/article/fotokemika-project

PKM-25
03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't think that this is a good voice for future film use, it is waxing poetic rather than moving the uncharted territory of film's visual nature forward. Widely percieved nostalgia is actually one of the enemies of film's future as a viable medium and alternative to digi-crap.

Efke products are gone, but Ilford and Kodak ones are not. To pour time, money and effort into a broken down factory is a sad distraction to where the money could be going in terms of film use awareness, youth and other outreach programs, etc...

This seems like a waste of time and money to me...

AgX
03-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes, this project has been hinted at here before. I appreciate the idea of conserving industrial heritage, and do not see it as counterproductive at all in this case.

However these two women are seemingly unaware af the photochemical industry and are pondering this as lay persons without a concept so far. At least what got to my knowledge so far is rather vague.

railwayman3
03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't think that this is a good voice for future film use, it is waxing poetic rather than moving the uncharted territory of film's visual nature forward. Widely percieved nostalgia is actually one of the enemies of film's future as a viable medium and alternative to digi-crap.

Efke products are gone, but Ilford and Kodak ones are not. To pour time, money and effort into a broken down factory is a sad distraction to where the money could be going in terms of film use awareness, youth and other outreach programs, etc...

Sorry, can't agree with your view at all....if you take this to its logical conclusion, you might as well have no technical or industrial museums of any kind. These ladies are asking for support for a project dear to their hearts.....I seem to recall someone asking for support to a nostalgic project for the final year of Kodachrome. Kodachrome had no future as a viable medium at that time (or so Kodak evidently decided), just as it seems that Efke was no longer viable as a company (or so their management evidently tdecided). Should we have ignored the Kodachrome project and moved on to Fuji as being a viable alternative to digital for the future?

(I have a couple of friends who use "digi-crap"...they're expert photographers of many years experience, but, if their 20 x 16 prints of distant countries and rare species of birds and insects are "crap", I wish that I had the ability and skill to produce something half as good with Kodachrome or Fujichrome! :( )

AgX
03-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Having an internet site for that project which is not generally accessible is not beneficial and can't be considered professional either.

EDIT:
Within the last hour the outlook of their site has been changed and the site is no longer blocked by facebook for non-members.

aleksmiesak
03-11-2013, 02:49 PM

I can't seem to agree with that either. As far as education about history of anything, museums have been known to be quite effective at that task. Can't teach about something people have no way to connect with. A museum will be that place where history can come to life. If that were not the case why bother with all the Natural History Museums? And if we follow your idea of it's a waste of time and no good will come of it than maybe the Eastman House as a home for film's history and preservation should have never happened.

I hope these ladies do get support of groups who have vested interest in analog photography and can help this facility be the learning center for that part of Europe the way Eastman House is in Rochester. We need more places like this and using this factory for a museum and a place to learn is a great idea. But that might just be my "sentimental" opinion.

wblynch
03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Ya just never know. It could become a 'working museum' sometime in the future...

AgX
03-26-2013, 12:45 PM
The concept as far as brought over by the two is that they simply want the heritage of Efke to remain and that they need a lot of "likes" at facebook for that.

For a "working" museum one needs the apt personnel, the machinery, the housing, the raw stock and the funding of that all. They got neither of any.

And foremost people interested to see that all.

Nikonic
04-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Efke burnt out. Perhaps show support to ilford, etc, for a new short run production of old school chloride rich films.