PDA

View Full Version : Film is alive and well in the north west!

Pages : [1] 2

CatLABS
03-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Just came back from a short hop around in the north west and found some really amazing things there.

Read my post about what i saw:

http://processorparts.blogspot.com/2013/03/film-is-alive-and-well-in-north-west.html

Marc B.
03-20-2013, 06:49 AM
No surprise!
The Pacific Northwest is a beautiful place...to see, and photograph.
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Marc

CatLABS
03-20-2013, 06:58 AM
It sure is. It was amazing to see so many people hard at work using traditional and alternative processes.
The north east, or anywhere else for that matter is not any less of a pretty place (each with its own type of beauty/interest) - now its our job to make the big outlets in or area look like that.

Jeff Kubach
03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
That's great to hear!

Jeff

Klainmeister
03-20-2013, 08:52 AM
I miss Pro Photo...used to get all me stuffs there.

flatulent1
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Glazers is a great place to wander through; I always leave there a couple of hundred dollars poorer. I've been to Photo Center NW only once, when they were having their annual 'garage sale' a few years ago. Got the full, jaw-dropping tour. Wish I had the finances to drop everything and study there.

Jesper
03-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Nice to hear some good news.
A bit too far for me to visit though..

arealitystudios
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
The next time you are in Portland you should make it a point to go to Blue Moon Camera. They have a modest selection of film but for old camera collectors it is a DREAM! The shelves and cases are bursting with TLR's, old folders, rangefinder lenses, large format cameras, etc. etc. Plus their processing facilities are first rate.

Thank you for posting about our region though. We do love our film photography in the Pacific Northwest. :-)

M Stat
03-20-2013, 10:01 AM
It used to be that Pro Photo had a huge walk-in room/cooler to store their film and photographic paper. Now all that is there is a film fridge. That was depressing to see. Pro Photo quickly switched to mainly all digital some years ago, and I never went back.

PhotoJim
03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
We're international... you mean the northwest of the US? :)

Still, good news to hear.

sr44
03-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Wow, I've lived in the Northwest my whole life and I've never been inside Glazers, I had no idea that had cases of film like that! Wish I didn't live almost 100 miles from Seattle.

Ken Nadvornick
03-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Glazers is a great place to wander through; I always leave there a couple of hundred dollars poorer.

Heh, heh...

My last visit to Glazer's ended with me walking out almost $400 poorer. A 50-sheet box of 11x14 and a 250-sheet box of 8x10 Ilford papers, among too many other things. Visiting the film fridge in back is like making the Pilgrimage of Lourdes. Or arriving at a Disney resort destination.

Ken

CatLABS
03-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Wow, I've lived in the Northwest my whole life and I've never been inside Glazers, I had no idea that had cases of film like that! Wish I didn't live almost 100 miles from Seattle.

100 miles? Thats about 10-15 minutes with the local speed limit.. no? especially if you are going down hill to the city ;).

amsp
03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
You Americans have no idea how lucky you are :blink:

alarickc
03-20-2013, 02:34 PM
I avoid Pro Photo, the staff is usually rude to me and the up charge on their film is awful. If I need film locally I go to Blue Moon(only 50-$1 up charge over the online retailers, it's actually cheaper for a roll or two if you count shipping). I will however have to make a point of visiting Glazers next time I'm in Seattle.

Klainmeister
03-20-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm sad to hear the decline of service/sales at Pro Photo. For the longest time they were always helpful and had what I needed in stock. Haven't been there in many years.

Blue Moon was always exceptional as well.

MattKing
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM

I drive through Bellingham on my way to Glazer's :).

A trip from home (near Vancouver BC) to Seattle and back makes for a full day for my wife and I, but we usually can find a few other things to do on the way.

sly
03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
I've been in Washington State twice in the 30+ years I've lived on Vancouver Island. Both times I went to Glazers. Best thing about Seattle. The traffic is one of the worst things about it......shudder.

flatulent1
03-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Visiting the film fridge in back is like making the Pilgrimage of Lourdes. Or arriving at a Disney resort destination.

Ken

For me it's more like visiting a smorgasbord. I'll have some of these, some of those... Ooh, what's that one? Okay, I'll take some of that. I have a hard time keeping my mind on my actual needs when I'm in there.

Damn, now I'm thinking of reasons to get down there Saturday morning...

David Nardi
03-21-2013, 12:28 AM
I live in the wrong country. Lucky Americans. Canada is missing out. All the camera stores here in Toronto have been pro digital in the last decade with an annually declining stock of film and related accessories. I get all my stuff from the States. The closest thing to these photo stores in the northwest was when I went to The Camera Store in Calgary, Alberta back in 2007. They had such a healthy supply of analog gear (even a few rows of enlargers on display) that I actually felt like I was in a photography store and not a consumer electronics one.