PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need photo school to be a pro?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mainecoonmaniac
03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
My experience so far..No.

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/20/do-you-need-a-photography-degree-to-be-a-successful-photographer/#more-104180

Felinik
03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Of course not, but if you are about to chose an education anyway and are already decided that your goal is to work with photography, it would be a bit stupid to take on an education to become a doctor...

:)

AgX
03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Over here up to recently one was only allowed offering commercial photography after having gained a diploma in one of three formal trainings (vocational school, universities of applied sciences).

Bob Carnie
03-20-2013, 12:45 PM
I believe it helps, I have a three year degree form a community college program , I sure as hell wish I had continued and got my Masters.

tkamiya
03-20-2013, 01:10 PM
In US anyway, you can get into any occupation that does not involve professional licensing or certification with no formal education or training. However, getting such training may be the easiest way to get into one and convince potential clients you can do the job. (which is not always true...)

PKM-25
03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
No, more than anything you need the talent and drive to rise above your competition...

In the late 80's, I was working with a rather well known figure in aviation photography on a book. At first, I just wanted to assist him but he asked to see my work and upon reviewing some Kodachromes in a sheet of 20, he asked me if I wanted to co-illustrate the book. As we worked together, I told him I wanted to go to Brooks Institute in Santa Barbra, CA.

He said he did not think it would give me much since I already had what a lot of the students did not, a good eye and to instead just get busy getting to work.

He was right and here I am 22 years later still going strong.

RIP my mentor and good friend George Hall (http://http://www.firenuggets.com/georgehalltribute.htm)....

batwister
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
If you don't have any people skills, yes. The drinking and sleeping around will help a great deal. I'm guessing everything else you can do on your own with a bit of networking, common sense and hard work. That's what I'm working on.

Mainecoonmaniac
03-20-2013, 02:19 PM

RIP my mentor and good friend George Hall (http://http://www.firenuggets.com/georgehalltribute.htm)....

I still remember all my mentors. So far, none has passed on yet. I'm still grateful for their advice that school doesn't teach us. Most of them went to Art Center in Pasadena.

StoneNYC
03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
No, more than anything you need the talent and drive to rise above your competition...

In the late 80's, I was working with a rather well known figure in aviation photography on a book. At first, I just wanted to assist him but he asked to see my work and upon reviewing some Kodachromes in a sheet of 20, he asked me if I wanted to co-illustrate the book. As we worked together, I told him I wanted to go to Brooks Institute in Santa Barbra, CA.

He said he did not think it would give me much since I already had what a lot of the students did not, a good eye and to instead just get busy getting to work.

Only if you have the business sense, which is exactly what I lack and I think what I need from school, and that's my main fault, I can take a picture, but I can't sell it... haha, so sometimes you DO need school, if nothing else for contacts...

ToddB
03-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I did.. I recieved a BFA in photo in 98. I figured it's another feather in cap.

ToddB

Mainecoonmaniac
03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Yes it's a feather in your cap. But art directors and art buyers also like portfolios and tear sheets. I have a BA in photography and when I was looking for work freelancing, no one asked to see my degree.

Bob Carnie
03-20-2013, 03:55 PM
But if they asked you if you could photograph in the style of Sudek for a particular project , the schooling would have helped.
If you said who is Sudek I doubt you would get the job.

Yes it's a feather in your cap. But art directors and art buyers also like portfolios and tear sheets. I have a BA in photography and when I was looking for work freelancing, no one asked to see my degree.

jspillane
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
But if they asked you if you could photograph in the style of Sudek for a particular project , the schooling would have helped.
If you said who is Sudek I doubt you would get the job.

A knowledge of Josef Sudek's work is available through other means than a photography program. Furthermore, I wouldn't surprised if there are plenty of photo BA/BFA/MFA's floating around who have no idea who he is at all-- or perhaps know the name, but wouldn't have the first clue as to what his work is like (much less how to imitate it).

Knowledge and skill are things that, ultimately, one gives to oneself.

Mainecoonmaniac
03-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Probably true. It's my hope that some will hire me for my style instead of a derivative style of another photographer.

Bob Carnie
03-20-2013, 04:20 PM
We are in the internet age, and even so I doubt I am smart enough to find Sudek on my own, guidance by wonderful teachers at a critical point in my life opened my eyes to a broader scope of current and past artists that I would never have found on my own.
Even though my career has panned out pretty well, and yes a lot of self taught , school of hard knocks have gone on, the best info I get is by informed mentors who help guide me through the useless info on the net.
I wish I could have just stayed on at a University after my three years of practical photo school and got as much background/guidance before I started my journey down the wormhole we call photography. I think I made every dam mistake possible. I would also include a heavy dose of business courses, and chemistry as well to help in future years , running a small business.
I respect those here with their MFA, PHD's for their dedication to get the degrees.

A knowledge of Josef Sudek's work is available through other means than a photography program. Furthermore, I wouldn't surprised if there are plenty of photo BA/BFA/MFA's floating around who have no idea who he is at all-- or perhaps know the name, but wouldn't have the first clue as to what his work is like (much less how to imitate it).

Knowledge and skill are things that, ultimately, one gives to oneself.

Bob Carnie
03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Yes I agree, but my point is if you are the photographer with less knowledge about photography styles than the art director you are at a severe disadvantage in your negotiations or even possibliity of landing the job.

Probably true. It's my hope that some will hire me for my style instead of a derivative style of another photographer.

AgX
03-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Especially those of the private customer.

Those rules about restricting commercial photography (and other crafts) to officially trained photographers were sure in first instance installed to safeguard the intersts of those already in the businees (based on that guild idea).

And one could argue, that the customer could ask for proofs of work. But would that be enough?

cliveh
03-20-2013, 04:52 PM
My experience so far..No.

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/20/do-you-need-a-photography-degree-to-be-a-successful-photographer/#more-104180

No, but if you want to be dedicated to your own style of aesthetics in photography regardless of monetary gain, then any experience is valid in pursuit of your goal.

PKM-25
03-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Yes I agree, but my point is if you are the photographer with less knowledge about photography styles than the art director you are at a severe disadvantage in your negotiations or even possibliity of landing the job.

This has in no way ever affected my ability to land a contract, assignment or sale, the number one reason in 100% of the cases of my ability to get work as a photographer has been the level of talent shown in my portfolio. In simple terms, show better work than your competition in a market that highly values that quality and you can set your terms, your price and people will talk. I am only now getting around to launching a new website after not having one for 7 years and I have been very busy over that time frame.

There is a very good reason that not everyone that has been an ace at marketing or went to Brooks is earning a living at photography and that reason is whether or not a high level of talent and vision is shown in the work.

ToddB
03-20-2013, 04:56 PM
I got a Job shooting for AF and I'm still here. I'm convinced, that if I didnt have my piece of paper, that I would of be just another Joe that likes to take picture. This was back in the early 2000's thow. Things have might of changed.

ToddB