PDA

View Full Version : Way off topic: Gillette Razors

Pages : [1] 2

Fixcinater
03-27-2013, 01:38 AM
I have a couple of double-edged razors that have not been used for a few months, so out they go.

Trade for a propack of film, anyone? I can throw in some blades to get someone started if need be.

Blooze
03-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Looks like a Knack and long-tooth New. Both excellent shavers that I enjoy using! Looks like a good trade option for someone who wants to get into wet-shaving.

Peter Simpson
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
I can't help but comment on how similar razors and cameras are:
the entrance cost is relatively low, but the cost of consumables will add up...

:-)

mrred
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Carefull, you can make cameras into razors.

Fixcinater
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Indeed, good eye there, Blooze!

Peter, I've found by buying in bulk (or going to a straight edge!), the consumables can be kept to a somewhat sane level. I've got more aftershave than I will ever be able to use, though.

If somebody needs a full kit put together to make this more enticing, I can throw in a puck of soap and a boar brush, and some aftershave.

mrred
03-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Do we have a pool of blade experts or do we have to start mentoring? Can you still get batteries fore these?

pentaxuser
03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Cast your minds back to when electric razors had been out for a few years and had certainly got better. Well at that point remember all the hype about it being the end of wet shaving, out-dated, primitive technology etc? Ring any bells with another debate? :D

pentaxuser

BrianShaw
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Do we have a pool of blade experts or do we have to start mentoring?

I don't know if htere is a pool of experts, but I've bled a pool of blood becoming an expert. Best blades ever are Merkur. I use cheap Korean blades, Dorco, day-to-day use. I once liked Wilkinson Sword but mostly for hteir logo. They are getting hard to find so I moved on to less interesting logos.

Fixcinater
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm no huge fan of Merkurs but dislike Dorcos even more. Got a bulk of red Personnas and have been working through those when I'm not in the mood for a straight (talk about a nice blade...) shave.

Walmart has Wilkinsons now, much better pricing than any typical drug store...at least in my area. Ever tried Feathers? Super super smooth in a Super Speed or similar.

BrianShaw
03-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Never tried Feathers, but they are mentioned often as the favorite of many blade users.

The Dorcos seem a bit inconsistent - some sharper than others and some staying sharper longer than others. I strop them after ever second shave and they last longer. The best part is that they are dirt cheap. When I run out (94 blades from today) I'll likely try some premium blades instead of continuing to be cheap.

BrianShaw
03-27-2013, 02:55 PM
p.s. I have a razor just like the first picture of yours. I used it for at least 30 years (and it was pre-owned when I started with it). Now using a Merkur.

LiamG
03-27-2013, 03:04 PM
I just take a digital photo of my face and fix it in post. Right?

Blooze
03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
My favorite blades are the Astra Platinums. They seem to work consistantly in all my razors. The Derby's only in some and I can't get on with any of the Gillette, Dorco, Crystal, or Wilkinson blades. Never tried Feathers, although I should. Just learning straights, but my technique must stink because I can't get a hollow grind razor to stay sharp for more than 1/2 a shave even when I've had a pro hone it.

BrianShaw
03-27-2013, 03:48 PM
... but my technique must stink because I can't get a hollow grind razor to stay sharp for more than 1/2 a shave ...

mine too

Nick Merritt
03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm a disposable guy; have never used the old school razors. Funny, considering how old school I am with photo equipment.

Fixcinater
03-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Blooze - No pressure! That was my big mistake (although my face paid for it more than I did) when learning. I thought I was using light pressure after using double-edges, especially aggressive ones like the old open combed Gillettes or adjustable Gillettes on 9. Need a super light touch and really really good beard prep. Double edge blades seem to hack through better, so are more forgiving of prep work.

It's taken me a long time to get even half-way decent at stropping, too. That killed sharpness faster than poor shaving technique. I wasn't stropping enough laps, and excessive downward pressure on the handle while in motion.

Gerald C Koch
03-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Unused blued steel razor blades like the old Gillette ones are sort after by people who are into crystal radios because they act as diodes. With some wire for an antenna and a ground connection, a headphone, a safety pin for a whisker and you have a radio.

E. von Hoegh
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Cast your minds back to when electric razors had been out for a few years and had certainly got better. Well at that point remember all the hype about it being the end of wet shaving, out-dated, primitive technology etc? Ring any bells with another debate? :D

pentaxuser

Yes.

Wet shaving still gives the closer shave, once again convenience trumps quality.;) You actually have to know how to use a razor, the electric thingys, all you have to do is rub them around your face and they shave you (sort of).

E. von Hoegh
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Unused blued steel razor blades like the old Gillette ones are sort after by people who are into crystal radios because they act as diodes. With some wire for an antenna and a ground connection, a headphone, a safety pin for a whisker and you have a radio.

You can buy blued steel in strips, by the foot or by the mile, from places like McMaster-Carr. They make a really insensitive detector, though. Galena and pyrites are better, the crystal radio DXers are using Schottky diodes.

BrianShaw
03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I understand how you'd point a razor blade at a satellite, but how would you point a chunk of galena or pyrite... let alone a Schottky diode? :laugh: