PDA

View Full Version : Retaining rings, etc: affordable source

bernard_L
04-19-2013, 03:35 PM
This is to let you know about an interesting (I think) supplier; especially for those residing in Yurp. Had for several years a Componon 105/5.6 intended to use with a Krokus enlarger to print the 6x9cm negatives of a Nettar. Problem: the componon has a 32.5 thread versus the 39mm LTM of the enlarger lensboard. After postponing for a long time beause of the high prices of Internet offers, I found:

http://www.customphototools.com/

Where I bought a 32.5x0.5 to 39x1 adapter ring, for the princely sum of 8 + 5 postage. Compare with the B&H cost for a single-thread 32.5 retaining ring: $23.5, plus $43.35 shipping (economy option) plus $50.11 "duties and tax"; this is for someone buying from France. I now have a nice double-threaded ring of shiny new aluminum and no excuse to procrastinate with printing the Nettar negatives. The "store" seems to be operated by a photographer who started his business to satisfy his own needs. He also sells reversing rings, adapters from enlarging lenses to macro bellows... The only downside is that mail from Portugal to France takes almost 2 weeks.

Disclaimer: I have no relation to that online store other than being a happy customer. Disclosure: also posted on photo.net/ Casual Conversations.

ath
04-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks! Exactly what my 135mm Componon needs.

ac12
04-19-2013, 05:39 PM
If this is the guy in Portugal, I contacted him about a small mod to the adapter ring.
He will put a notch on the ring, similar to the notch on a retaining ring. So if it gets stuck on the lens, you can use a ring wrench to remove it, rather than damaging it with a pair of pliers.

ath
04-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Just a short update. The adapter ring arrived today and is a perfect fit.