PDA

View Full Version : News today from Kodak

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

pentaxuser
04-29-2013, 02:23 PM
It sounds as if the paper coating will move in its entirety to England. If I have got this correct then maybe there's a chance that the "new owners" will consider producing paper in sheet form again. I have a feeling that an awful lot of mini-labs, especially those in the U.K. use Fuji paper these days so regaining any of that market will be an uphill struggle.

If I were a Kodak U.K. employee approaching retirement then I'd just have to hope that this announcement will help my future pension prospects

pentaxuser

zsas
04-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Colleen - This is such great news! Hats off the the UK Kodak crew for acquiring the film arm. It is great to have management who live and breath film! Woohoo! Long live Kodak :)

PKM-25
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the update Colleen, the news is not surprising or unexpected to me at least.

First off, I want to say that I am looking forward to continued use of great Kodak products like Tmax, Tri-X and Ektar films, I maintain plenty of stock and replenish on a regular basis.

I also look forward to connecting with who will be the primary marketing and PR contacts of the new company ( hopefully the same people ) that will distribute Kodak brand films as I believe that once things settle into the new ownership, it would be a great step forward to better connect dedicated Kodak users with fresh marketing efforts in order to gain traction with potential new users.

I have questions in my mind that are similar to those already asked here, but feel that in the long run, unless the product lineup changes significantly, the answers will not change my desire to use Kodak films so I am opting to not ask them.

I also want to extend a *big* thank you for Kodak continuing in these transitional times to be a sponsor of John Sexton Photography Workshops (http://www.johnsexton.com/schedule.html). I got to participate in "The Expressive Print" workshop that concluded just over a week ago. John's dedication, talent and enthusiasm proved to be one of the best experiences in my 23 year career as a photographer as I watched him print masterfully seen, shot and developed Tmax films onto silver gelatin papers.

I have always said that I firmly believe that there is much uncharted visual territory for analog photographers even in a world that seems to have drowned in digits. But it is up to us, the film user to keep putting our best foot forward in images and now possibly, under new ownership, a real marketing genius can take hold of the reigns and be truly innovative in teaming up with those of us who already buy and use film to spread the word in a fashion that would be the envy of any company's marketing efforts.

Lets keep moving forward!

cdkrenzer
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the update Colleen, the news is not surprising or unexpected to me at least.

First off, I want to say that I am looking forward to continued use of great Kodak products like Tmax, Tri-X and Ektar films, I maintain plenty of stock and replenish on a regular basis.

I also look forward to connecting with who will be the primary marketing and PR contacts of the new company ( hopefully the same people ) that will distribute Kodak brand films as I believe that once things settle into the new ownership, it would be a great step forward to better connect dedicated Kodak users with fresh marketing efforts in order to gain traction with potential new users.

I have questions in my mind that are similar to those already asked here, but feel that in the long run, unless the product lineup changes significantly, the answers will not change my desire to use Kodak films so I am opting to not ask them.

I also want to extend a *big* thank you for Kodak continuing in these transitional times to be a sponsor of John Sexton Photography Workshops (http://www.johnsexton.com/schedule.html). I got to participate in "The Expressive Print" workshop that concluded just over a week ago. John's dedication, talent and enthusiasm proved to be one of the best experiences in my 23 year career as a photographer as I watched him print masterfully seen, shot and developed Tmax films onto silver gelatin papers.

I have always said that I firmly believe that there is much uncharted visual territory for analog photographers even in a world that seems to have drowned in digits. But it is up to us, the film user to keep putting our best foot forward in images and now possibly, under new ownership, a real marketing genius can take hold of the reigns and be truly innovative in teaming up with those of us who already buy and use film to spread the word in a fashion that would be the envy of any company's marketing efforts.

Lets keep moving forward!

Thanks Dan - That's great to hear about John's workshop. And thanks for the encouraging words. We understand that people will have questions - as this agreement progresses, working with the PI team, and specifically the Film team, we'll try to answer them. The contacts you have will remain the same.

Photo Engineer
04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
For those interested, there is no paper coating done at Kodak Park. Kodak is out of the B&W paper business, and the color is done at Harrow and at Windsor CO.

As for restarting a coating machine, how many of you know how to run one? What happens to the EK experienced coater who loses his job and moves on? What happens to the laid off emulsion maker? These are gone gone gone and no longer EK resources. And the existing staff is dedicated to B 38.

No, nothing at KP is going to change. Things will go on as usual but with different management here and there. Who knows, Kodak at Harrow may get cozy with Ilford! :D

PE

Roger Cole
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
For those interested, there is no paper coating done at Kodak Park. Kodak is out of the B&W paper business, and the color is done at Harrow and at Windsor CO.

As for restarting a coating machine, how many of you know how to run one? What happens to the EK experienced coater who loses his job and moves on? What happens to the laid off emulsion maker? These are gone gone gone and no longer EK resources. And the existing staff is dedicated to B 38.

No, nothing at KP is going to change. Things will go on as usual but with different management here and there. Who knows, Kodak at Harrow may get cozy with Ilford! :D

PE

Well...if one of the reasons or the reason Kodak stopped selling color paper in sheet sizes was the cutting and packaging, which I've read somewhere (one guy who did it retired and closed his shop) then they might work out something with Ilford on that score. Ilford can certainly cut and package paper nicely, and the products don't compete. We can hope, anyway.

BenJT
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
I just want to be able to buy portra and ektar forever.

adam satushek
04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
I just want to be able to buy portra and ektar forever.

I could not have said it better myself. For me....all I need to be happy is Portra 160 for 120, 4x5, and 8x10, and Portra 400 for 135 and 120...and as long as I can still get Kami mounting fluid, drum cleaner, and optical mylar....ill be photographically set.

Portra forever!

zsas
04-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Think us remaining Kodak-fans need to drop a print in the mail to the new owners as a show of support :)

I did some Googling and turned up the Kodak UK Pension Board's address, see link below. I think I've a print shot of Tri-X and printed on Ektalure that I gotta send their way, might as well congratulate em and plant a bug in their ear that if they've the time to maybe coat a few boxes or two of Ektalure ever so often...

https://www.hartlinkonline.co.uk/kodak/hopl.chi/wui/contusui.html?hopsess=a1ba2210d88eba8311e2676968ef cf0a

Colleen, the above link for the new owners?

Roger Cole
04-29-2013, 06:41 PM
I could not have said it better myself. For me....all I need to be happy is Portra 160 for 120, 4x5, and 8x10, and Portra 400 for 135 and 120...and as long as I can still get Kami mounting fluid, drum cleaner, and optical mylar....ill be photographically set.

Portra forever!

I also want TXT and TMY-2.

I could live pretty happily with Ilford for black and white but TMY-2 is a uniquely excellent film and I like what Tri-X (35mm and 120) does in Diafine.

But I agree Portra and Ektar are of main concern. If they could bring back Kodak E6 that would be a fabulous dream that seems unlikely, but I understand E6 is much more popular in Europe especially Germany so maybe it's at least possible.

lxdude
04-29-2013, 07:28 PM
PE

Over and over, it happens that when essential people are lost, their essential knowledge is lost. Nikon had a hard time replicating their 50's rangefinder cameras 40-something years later because the people who had made the originals were gone. They never did figure out for sure how some things were done originally. This despite having more modern materials and techniques at hand, and the latest knowledge. In a time of sophisticated design and manufacturing techniques, the regard for pure cleverness and a sophisticated soft knowledge has been reduced. Schools could never really teach the ways of thinking that people needed in the past to solve problems. Only long apprenticeship could accomplish that.
From reading the posts of PE and others from the business, it's clear to me that film production is, as the saying goes. "as much art as science". For all the modern scientific understanding of materials and processes, and advanced tools, it still takes people with insight and judgment to successfully create the product. Lose them and you're screwed.

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
04-29-2013, 10:13 PM
This article at least says they plan to hire new execs and run the biz for cash flow, not just sell it off:

http://pdnpulse.com/2013/04/kodak-turns-over-film-division-to-its-uk-pension-plan.html

zsas
04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
^Good to hear! They've the worlds most selling b/w film to boot (Tri-X), will be nice what a fresh set of eyes can do!

RattyMouse
04-29-2013, 11:09 PM
This article at least says they plan to hire new execs and run the biz for cash flow, not just sell it off:

http://pdnpulse.com/2013/04/kodak-turns-over-film-division-to-its-uk-pension-plan.html

Cash cows rarely get r & d investments.

Photo Engineer
04-29-2013, 11:16 PM
You dingbats! An exec never ran a coating machine nor made an emulsion! Get real!

PE

MattKing
04-29-2013, 11:22 PM
You dingbats! An exec never ran a coating machine nor made an emulsion! Get real!

PE

PE:

But some of those execs actually:

1) know the value of those who run a coating machine or make emulsions;
2) can get those who run a coating machine or make emulsions the things they need; and
3) know how to market the results!

Ken Nadvornick
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Harman's execs sure did...

Ken

lxdude
04-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Cash cows rarely get r & d investments.

The films are so good these days they can go a long distance without further R&D. Though I hope they do get it so they can be improved further. But I'm happy to just see them in production, and if they are much the same 20 years from now, OK by me.

AgX
04-30-2013, 01:46 AM

So far (to be fair, just based on my knowledge....) noone wanted to buy the resting halide based manufacturing.
The market-value of these plants is thus zero.

How could a new owner succeed in trying to sell them after Kodak failed?

Of course those plants are still of value to the owner. That value would be less than the expected profits to be made over the time the plant still lasts or the market is still in existence.

But in this all we must not forget that the new owner is not a buyer who was free to decide to buy something for profit but a creditor who took what was offered.

Ian Grant
04-30-2013, 02:32 AM
PE:

But some of those execs actually:

1) know the value of those who run a coating machine or make emulsions;
2) can get those who run a coating machine or make emulsions the things they need; and
3) know how to market the results!

That's the key to making improvements. We need a healthy Kodak film & paper company as it boosts confidence as a whole in the rest of the market.

They need to get film on shelves again more widely around the world.

Ian