PDA

View Full Version : Survey about analog photography

Pages : [1] 2 3

HeliLehtonen
05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Hello everyone! I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so moderators may move it to another category!

I just wanted to check if someone around here wanted to answer some questions about analog photography for a project I'm doing in school? That would be cool. The answers will be treated anonymously.

Questions:
1. Age and gender
2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case?
3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)?
4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most.
5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case?
6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question)
7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for?
8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future?

If you also shoot digitally:
9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically?
10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically?
11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more?

You can answer directly in the thread or post me a message, whatever works. Thanks in advance!
/Heli

wilfbiffherb
05-14-2013, 12:14 PM
ill do some question for you

mr rusty
05-14-2013, 12:41 PM
1. Age and gender > 53 M
2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case? > No
3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)? Analogue '65 onwards. Digital only 2000 - 2008
4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most. Mainly Olympus OM, Mamiya 645, Yashica TLR. + others
5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case? Y. B&W only. Still learning.
6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question) >>
- like to be different
- enjoy the challenge - sense of achievement
- good gear is cheap
- like mechanical things
- spend too much time on computers
- longevity - Digi is transient and relies on active backups, Analogue images can still be around in 100 years after laying untouched
- Enjoy the artistic opportunities
7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for? > No
8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future? > yes

9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically? 95% Analog, 5% Digi
10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically? > Sometimes just need an instant snap
11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more? > No

Kevin Kehler
05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
There has got to be a manual or syllabus which European teachers are using to give class assignments on analogue photography. While I support education (especially higher arts education), there has been a number of similar posts with almost identical questions. I am not trying to be rude or mean to the OP, but how many of these surveys have we had in the past 6 months? Five? Seven?

HeliLehtonen
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
There has got to be a manual or syllabus which European teachers are using to give class assignments on analogue photography. While I support education (especially higher arts education), there has been a number of similar posts with almost identical questions. I am not trying to be rude or mean to the OP, but how many of these surveys have we had in the past 6 months? Five? Seven?

Hi Kevin. I'm doing my examination paper to get my bachelor's degree in graphic design on my university, and we were allowed to choose a subject within graphic design or photography. In other words I chose this subject myself, because I think there's a lack of research on this matter and also because people in general (including my teachers) seem to have the idea that people don't shoot analogically anymore. I'm actually surprised that there has been five–seven surveys like this in the past six months, since it's been super tricky to find similar research reports to refer to. :) Most are about digital photography.

If the moderators finds this thread repetitive it's fine for me if it's deleted. I don't want to irritate anyone.

And thanks a lot for your answers "mr rusty"!

Fast
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
1. 45 M
2. No. Natural world.
3. 1985
4. Pentax 645, Mamiya RB67 Nikon Dslr
5. Standard systems and chemistry
- have always enjoyed it
- enjoy hands on work
- sit at computer too much during the day
- VERY SATISIFING to create one's own prints in a darkroom; slow, methodical and creative approach
- digital work is so often done on a trial and error basis - shoot, delete, shoot again etc. Analogue promotes more thought throughout the process. It slows everything down. If you've got only 10 frames on a film, you've got to make them count.

7. No. For me it's not about the subject so much, as about the interpretation or creation of the artwork. This can of course be done in either medium, I just happen to like film.

8. Yes

9. Very hard to say, since the processes are so different, and I use digital for very different subjects
10. Digital has it's place - very quick and simple.
11. I could use more hours in a day.

kb3lms
05-14-2013, 03:12 PM
1. Age and gender: > Male 51
2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case? > No
3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)? > 1974
4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most. > Oh, too many. Mostly Pentax and Minolta 35mm SLRs. Also, various rangefinders, a Mamiya 645m, and Yashicamat 124. Digital I have a Pentax K200D.
5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case? > Yes. Both B/W and C-41
6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question) > I like my film cameras better than my digital camera as my film cameras are MUCH easier to use and not all plastic stuff. Also, I find myself annoyed at cameras having become computer peripherals. Have to work at computers all day and would rather not do it for hobby projects as well. That being said, I have no fundamental problem with digital photography, just like analog better. A good photograph can be produced either way.
7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for? Personally, landscapes. But that's also what I often photograph.
8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future? Yes, as long as possible to do so.

9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically? 98% or greater.
10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically? Sports, specifically soccer. Digital shines here. Obviously no need to change film, although you might have to change batteries, and digital positives ready to go. Again, though, I often have a film SLR in the bag and use that as well for a roll or two.
11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more? Probably not, other than having more time available.

Jeff Kubach
05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
59 years old male. I don't shoot professional but have have sold a picture or two over the years. I shoot landscapes. I been shooting film since the middle 1970's. I have Canon FD system along with Mamyia RB67 and a Rolliflex TLR 2.8. I'm a analog guy in a digital world. I will always shoot film in the future.

Jeff

flatulent1
05-14-2013, 05:56 PM
1. 55, male
2. No
3. 1967-1968 (long break) then starting again in 1986.
4. Primarily 35mm gear (Canon FD, Canon EOS, Contax, Minolta MD, Nikon), plus Mamiya 645 Pro and Yashica Mat 124G
5. Yes, I use a daylight Paterson tank for B&W film. I do not process my own color.
6. I prefer the simplicity of film and film cameras (even the latest most advanced ones) over the bewildering array of decisions and menu options I face when I pick up a digital camera. I keep thinking that shooting large format cameras must be so restful.
7. Put another way, I think the instantaneous nature of digital gives it a huge advantage over film with regards to news and event photography, and sports. Everything else, if you're only shooting for yourself, is really just about personal choice. Either works just fine.
8. Yes
9. ~97% analog
10. I am not at all adept at flash photography, and the instant feedback is very useful.
11. My DSLR could go for a swim...

Sirius Glass
05-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Welcome to APUG. You will find earlier polls for all your questions with a search.

TheToadMen
05-14-2013, 06:42 PM
1. Age and gender
Male, 46 years old

2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case?
Twice a wedding, twice a funeral, once portrait series of a band - rest is amateur.

3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)?
Got my first camera when I was about 17 (2nd hand analogue camera in 1984). Started seriously with photography in 2001 (analogue) with multiple cameras.

4. What equipment (camera) do you use?
Nikon like F2, F4s, F5, FM3a, Leica M7, Bronica SQ-B, Bronica RF-645, Agfa Clack,Rolleiflex T2, Leica SL, old russian FKD plate camera, pinhole cameras.
I use mostly pinhole cameras (converted old cameras or self build wooden cameras) and Leica M7 and Bronica SQ-B.

5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case?
B&W since 2001 with a simple Jobo tank (135 mm film and roll film), I'm thinking of taking up color development.

6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography?
Mostly for the fun of it. It also suits me better. Since 2001 digital photography and Photoshop came up rapidly, starting to make analogue a dying art. I decided to go the opposite way mastering the analog darkroom art. Since then I also followed several courses in the old photographic procedures (Post-Factory Photography) from before 1900, like Cyanotype, gum printing, bromoil printing, albuminen printing and salt printing. I also like to "slow down" and go into the field with my old russian FKD plate camera (18x24 cm negatives). It takes me 2 or 3 hours for making just one shot and I enjoy it. I also like to build wooden pinhole cameras and go out and shoot with it. Pinhole Photography is really back to basic.
I also have one digital camera and Photoshop and it is very handy sometimes, but my hart is at analogue photography. Especially manual focus cameras.
My motto is a saying of Ansel Adams: " ... avoiding the common illusion that photography depends on equipment alone ... " (quote from his book: The Camera). Sometimes I think the digital world hasn't grasped that yet. A simple manual focus camera with only 12 to 36 shots makes me think more about what I really want to shoot and how. Instead of shooting hundreds of images, sifting it out later on a computer. I want to see the image in my mind before I press the shutter, instead of afterwards on a LCD on the back of the camera. Just my way of getting away of a hectic world.

7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for?
Not suitable: maybe for very fast photography, like shooting a wedding at City Hall or the church and have to show the images the same evening. But in the end analogue it is suitable for everything.
For me analogue photography - with a manual camera - is very suitable to get some piece of mind, to get poetic or even creative, or just have some fun all by myself.

Yes, I certainly will!!
I'm rebuilding the attic above my garage into a darkroom.

9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically?
Time related: 80% analogue.
Number of images: 20% analogue.

Sometimes digital is handy, for instance to shoot something and post it quickly on internet.
Digital photography is like using a computer to send an email. But to me analogue photography is like enjoying writing a nice and long letter, hand written with a fountain pen on some good stationary to a good friend or a person in need. Or receive one myself ;-)

More free time, cheaper film

winger
05-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Answers:
1. 45, female
2. No
3. Given an Instamatic at age 5 and started borrowing my dad's 35mm at age 10 (in the 1970s). Added a dSLR in 2010.
4. Geez - Pentax 645N (the most, maybe), Hasselblad 503cxi, Pentax PZ1p, Pentax H1a, Cambo 4x5 monorail, Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic (might sell it), and various folders, Holgas, and pinholes.
5. I develop my own B&W with daylight tanks and send out any color.
6. Mostly because I like to print in the darkroom. I enjoy the feeling of "I made this." I feel like I have more control in the darkroom and it's more fun to learn new ways of doing something. I'm a forensic chemist (though currently not working as one) and don't mind using chemicals to do different things. (check out Mordancage, for one example).
7. Suitable for anything you want a photo of.
8. Yup.

9. Never counted. I likely shoot more total frames digitally, but have more keepers with film. Though more of my son on digital.
10. Keeping up with an active son (currently 3 years old).
11. More free time.

Poisson Du Jour
05-14-2013, 08:39 PM
1. Age and gender
*** M, 52
***Ex-professional practice, landscape and scenic; now analogue and digital. Printing analog-to-digital hybridised;
***1977 (16)
4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most.
***Canon EOS1N with TS-E 24mm f3.5L (prime), 20mm f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f2.8L. This kit in use 1993-ongoing. Produced Ilfochromes from transparency, framed and sold over period 1994 to 2009.
Pentax 67 with SMCP 45mm f4, 55mm f4 & 165mm f4LS; this is the most used now for exhibition quality framed prints far above the size of 35mm;
Zero Image 6x9 multi-format pinhole (2008—) with Sekonic L758D; odd-jobs and just for fun. The meeter is used extensively with 67.
Olympus XA; bushwalking and walk-about camera
Nikon Coolpix P7700; bushwalking and walk-about/street camera; also used for proofing scenes prior to committing to film (assists with simulating profile applied to image in-lab during colourimetrics pre-print processing).
***No. Pro lab does all E6 processing. From 1991 to 1997 I shared a darkroom lab with a friend in the country.
6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question)
***Classically trained photographers have analogue photography virtually tattooed on their forehead! It's not something we (I) can stop doing, especially after 3+ decacdes. In this digital age, analogue media still holds sway by a considerable margin in archival keeping qualities as opposed to digital. In digital, images must be periodically re-copied and archived, the best in multiples, to ensure some degree of preservation into the future. However, there is no guarantee (and never has been) that digital media will be readable 10, 20 or 30 years from now, while analogue images will still, in the vast majority of correct keeping conditions, be as good as the day they were shot — especially true with B&W negs and Kodachrome transparencies.
***Landscape photography where nuances of tone, texture and atmosphere must be subtly rendered, free of artifice.
***Yes, certainly, but I retain an open mind that we may not have analogue media in such a wide variety in the future as we do now. Thus, I started hybridising my work a long time ago and easily switch between analogue (the most intensive and relevant to my training and experience) and digital capture; at this time all print jobbing is from analogue. No surprise that its faster to get a digital print, cheaper too, but analogue has that definable quality that trumps digital — to a point.

***99% I don't often print from digital; it is mostly a reference medium.
***Future proofing my interest. The need to diversify and transition skills to be prepared for a major change in the future that a great many people believe will happen, but just when we don't know for sure.
***No. The balance is right for me. Diversity is the key to ongoing enjoyment and fulfilment, and using other skills, adapted ad hoc , is a good and sensible investment in the future to retain an interest in photography.

Toffle
05-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Hello everyone! I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so moderators may move it to another category!

I just wanted to check if someone around here wanted to answer some questions about analog photography for a project I'm doing in school? That would be cool. The answers will be treated anonymously.

Questions:
1. Age and gender
57 male

I do not shoot professionally, though I have (finally) reached the stage where I occasionally sell prints for more than I put into them. My subjects for these tend to be still lifes and abstractions, with the occasional landscape thrown in. (I recently started doing fashion work, and really enjoyed it; I hope to do more of this in the future) All of the above are analog work. I DO do one digital project each year - the front of house photos for a community theatre company.

I started shooting as a child, and did a bit of darkroom work as a teenager, but left that aside to pursue a career in music/theatre/education. I returned to analog photography after a short stint of digital photography about 10 years ago.

I use formats from 35mm to 8x10. my favourites are my Rolleiflex 3.5f, my Calumet 4x5, Burke & James 8x10, Nikon N-80, Pentax Spotmatic-f, Olympus XA, etc., etc.

I develop all my black and white, but send my colour work out to a lab about 4000 miles away. I develop my 35mm and 120 in tanks, and prefer to do my sheet film in trays.

I shoot analog because I find a certain synergy between myself, the camera, the film, developer, paper, etc. While I do not disagree with those who say that it is not "about" the equipment, I do find that I work differently depending on the camera and the intended process of my film or paper. I print a lot of images using Caffenol (instant coffee) and when I do so, it influences everything from choice of subject, composition, lighting. When I shoot with my Rolleiflex TLR, the square image in the viewfinder held at chest level greatly influences my composition. Composing on the ground glass of a large format view camera is both complex yet zen-like in its way my mind enters a different kind of space when I am working. These are things that are quite specific to the format/type of camera, and do not seem to present themselves when I work with digital.

I find, as stated above, that each camera imposes its process upon me, and therefore, upon my subject. My work is 99% analog, so there are few subjects for which I do not have a suitable camera available. The trick is not to carry too much gear. In fact, I occasionally carry the "wrong" camera on a shooting expedition, simply to challenge myself to make my photographs in spite of the limitations of my gear. If I carried every conceivable camera in the back of a truck, I would spend far too much time choosing, and not enough shooting.

As long as I can find film and papers.

99% of my work is analog.

As stated above, I have one project a year where the client requests digital files in a short time frame. In that case, I shoot digitally.

Yes... If I had an unlimited film/paper/chemicals budget.

You can answer directly in the thread or post me a message, whatever works. Thanks in advance!
/Heli

Good luck.
Cheers,
Tom

heterolysis
05-15-2013, 12:13 AM
1. 25 / M
2. No
3. 20 / When my father passed away and I was left with his cameras. Made me feel connected to him in some way still.
4. Most-to-least used / Hasselblad 500C/M, Nikon N80, Nikkormat FT, Polaroid Colorpack III
5. Yes / Plain old Patterson tank processing.
6. I feel I have more control over the camera when my options are in my head and not buried in menus. I stop to consider the process of photography and take my time with images---there are many that I will spend minutes composing and ultimately decide are not worth it---leading to a better proportion of photos I am happy with, despite it being a "slower" medium. I love the grain of film, coarse or fine. I feel cameras were better made in the days of analog. I would rather spend my time playing with an enlarger than photoshop. I feel film emulsions respond more naturally to light than subjective built-in curve algorithms, giving better colours and contrast without unnatural saturation. I love that while I have lost thousands of image files on my computer and/or external hard drive, my negatives are a physical thing and do not corrupt.
7. Not overly suited for anything not done in extremely high volume/fast turnover. Not always best suited for web applications. Better for quality printing.
8. Yes

NedL
05-15-2013, 12:31 AM
1. Age and gender
M 52

No

Instamatic when I was 7 or 8 years old ( agfa slide film, mostly... still have a box of them! ), then my dad's old 35mm rangefinder when I was a teenager. Basement darkroom, then I helped some friends learn darkroom in college but got away from photography after that. Digital camera about 20 years ago, then back to film photography a couple years ago. I was drawn back to what I liked in the first place.

135: Nikon F3 ( I use this most, but I like and use all of my cameras ) and FM2n, 120: Foldex 30, Ansco viking, 116: I have two Kodak No. 1A Jr. Autographics, 122: Kodak 3A series II, a variety of homemade pinhole cameras and working on a homemade 8x10 lensed camera. I also have a Fujifilm digital camera.

I develop B/W film in daylight tanks and paper negatives in a pitcher ( used like a single tray process. ) I do not use much color film but I send it out when I do.

Film photography has a tangible, physical, hands-on aspect that I appreciate.
I spend all my days in front of a computer and do not want to spend all my hobby time there too.
I like to take my time both taking the photos and printing them. I'm not in a hurry and I have no goal of quantity. I carry a camera walking almost every day, though many days I do not find a photograph, and most often only 1 or 2. 5 or 6 would be a "big day" for me!
I get a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from making a print.
I like working on things from start to finish ( taking the photo, developing film, printing it. )
I might not be a very good artist and this gives me some "creative outlet".
I like "do it yourself" hobbies with the emphasis on the "doing" rather than the end result. The process itself is a main point for me. This is similar to my other hobbies: I like to hike, but the destination is not the purpose; I like to grow a garden, but the produce is not the main goal; I like to fish and the fishing is the purpose, not the catch. Photography fits right in to that.
It's something I can continue to learn and get better at: it doesn't have an end that way either.
Most important: it is enjoyable, fun and relaxing.

No, not really.

Without any doubt.

About 90% film ( and paper!), 10% digital. Unlike others who responded, I tend to use my digital camera in a similar slow and deliberate way like film, so the number of pictures is also about 90/10.

Quick shots of my daughter or something for email ( digital camera can be a quick "copy machine" for documents)
I use a "web cam" to make images for "stacking" later with my solar telescope.
Since I mostly use B/W film, and do not own a film scanner, sometimes color is the reason I use my digital camera. I could see that changing.

Only time. The way I do photography it is not very expensive.

P.S. It was interesting reading the other responses, and all the similarities.

Steve Roberts
05-15-2013, 04:56 AM

Questions:
1. Age and gender 52
2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case? Not professionally in that it's not my main source of income, though I do sometimes sell to magazines.
3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)? Analog - 1970 Don't shoot digital.
5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case? Develop B/W myself, not colour.
6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question) I shoot film because I like the medium, the process and the equipment. Just handling a Pentax Spotmatic or Leica IIIa gives me pleasure and if I get some good results, that's a bonus! I choose not to use digital because the techniques, equipment and computers generally don't interest me.
7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for? Suitable for nature, industry (my interest) landscapes. Less suitable for sport. IMHO digital photography is totally unsuitable for horticultural photography as I've yet to see an acceptably rendered green!
8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future? Yes, as long as I can obtain film and can afford to do so.

/Heli

Cheers,

Steve

darkosaric
05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/106687-very-relevant-survey.html

bsdunek
05-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Questions:
1. 74, Male
2. Did a lot of weddings, product photography & 'peoples toys' in the 60's through about 1995. Now, just for myself.
3. 1947
4. Mamiya Press, Nikon F, Rolleiflex, Yashica GSN, Holga, Minolta 110 (several).
5. Do all my B&W. I enjoy it and I get what I want.
6. I get no fun with Photoshop, and don't particularely like the results. After doing film for nearly 70 years, I think I'll stick to it.
7. Any subject is good.
8. Yes
9. 95%
10. Things that are going on the web are done digitally. To me, that's only logical.
11. No more film available? Nah, then I would just coat my own plates.
/Heli

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

ME Super
05-15-2013, 10:50 AM
1. Age and gender - 43, Male
2. Do not shoot professionally.
3. Started shooting in the early 1980's.
4. Cameras: Currently have a Pentax 35mm autofocus SLR. Recently acquired an Imperial Debonair camera that uses 620 film; plan to build a 120 pinhole camera soon.
5. Film goes to the lab to be developed.
6. Why I shoot Analog: 35mm film contains up to 24 Megapixel equivalent resolution. Optical projectors show all that. Affordable digital projectors project less than 2 Megapixels. Why shoot high-res only to throw most of the information away when projecting? Also digital has a difficult time replicating the look and feel of black and white film due to interpolation necessary to convert to black and white. Plus film has full data for RGB for every pixel. Most digitally acquired images have data only for one of the three and the data must be interpolated.
7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for: Everything except maybe action and very low light, where Digital wins hands down.
8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future? As long as there's film.

9. 95% of my shots are
10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically? When it's just a quick photo, or low light.
11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more? Yep. Would love to get a TLR but since I can't afford one right now the pinhole will have to do.