PDA

View Full Version : v11 deardorff or chamoix 16x20 camera?

phillip2446
05-18-2013, 08:02 PM
hi

i wanted to get some insight from you all
in a few months, i will be moving up to a larger format
right now, i shoot with an 8x10 deardorff.
i plan on going to a v11 11x14 deardorff or 16x20 chamoix view camera (which will also allow me to do 11x14)
i shoot portraits in studio and on location
i wanted to get the pros and cons going either way
if i could get some input, that would appreciated.
right now, the money will be the same for both cameras so that should not be an issue with this

thanks

phil

Simon Howers
05-19-2013, 03:51 AM
I own both makes which I use in my business. In terms of handling both types are excellent. The reason I bought a Chamonix was purely weight. I work landscapes so I have to carry my gear - the Chamonix is literally half the weight so no contest. If I'm working indoors, for example I recently did a job at a local museum, then I take the Deardorff.

Simon

blindpig
12-13-2013, 10:11 AM
New here and just found your thread,if you are still looking for a solution I'd like to share a remedy use by a place I worked some time back.
We needed an 11x14 sized copy camera to replace the 8x10 we were currently using.Utilizing an 11x14 back we already had, we added a box to the rear of the 8x10 about 10" deep and a little over 11x14 to accept the larger back. The copy camera didn't need back corrections and I'm pretty sure your portrait camera won't either, it looked a little strange but we used it for years.It was an inexpensive answer to our problem and made my boss happy....

Len Middleton
12-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Phil,

If you are not looking for a second hand Deadorff V11, but a new one instead, you might want to do a little Google research before putting your deposit down.

Might be easier, but more frustrating to buy someone else's position in the queue...

No experience in the situation, but there is a lot of noise out there.

Hope that hlps,

Len