PDA

View Full Version : Cry for ideas

lightwisps
05-26-2013, 07:26 AM
I have put a new shot in the gallery. I would like to know what others think of the shot. It is glass, a difficult subject and shot with studio strobes.

I am thinking of going into art documentation as I live in an artsy town filled with galleries. I can shoot both digital and film.

Does anyone think this is a viable idea? Thanks, Don

markbarendt
05-26-2013, 07:38 AM
The only real way to answer your question is to ask the buyers in your market.

lightwisps
05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Yeah, am going on a gallery crawl very soon. Want to add a couple more images then I am set. Thanks

markbarendt
05-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Several things I'd suggest you figure out is how and where the galleries might use the shots, what the shot requirements are, and what they are paying.

lightwisps
05-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Actually, I was thinking of the artists so that they had images that they could send out to other galleries and exhibitions that they are interested in. Many art shows are also juried. Something has to be submitted to show their work.

eddie
05-26-2013, 09:13 AM
It certainly is a viable idea, for art festivals. Most require 3-4 images of the work, and one of the booth. The better shows are highly competitive, and quality images are the only way to get juried in. Many artists (if not most) use professionals for their jury images. These days, all of the submissions are on-line, so digital is the way to go.

lightwisps
05-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks Eddie, that is what I was thinking. Digital is probably the most doable

cliveh
05-26-2013, 09:47 AM
I have put a new shot in the gallery. I would like to know what others think of the shot. It is glass, a difficult subject and shot with studio strobes.

I am thinking of going into art documentation as I live in an artsy town filled with galleries. I can shoot both digital and film.

Does anyone think this is a viable idea? Thanks, Don

I don't know about the commercial viability of your proposal, but with regard to the shot, it's not bad. However, I think you could make the background white without the colour cast and crop off some of the headroom (better still, get a bit closer). Also why do you need strobes to light a static subject? Hope this helps.

eddie
05-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Don- Look at https://www.zapplication.org/ I don't know anything about Canadian art festivals, but Zapp is probably the most used in the States. It will give you the submission requirements, so you'll be able to offer your clients images ready to submit. You'll also need to have them set up their booths, showing the work as it will be displayed (well... not actually how it will look at the festival, but cleaner, and less cluttered.)

Another juried service is http://www.juriedartservices.com/index.php?content=home_new

Another good source of information is http://bermangraphics.com/blog/ He has a good track record of supplying images which get artists into shows, and his blog has some good info.

I'm not sure the image you posted will do the trick. The artwork needs to "pop". Jurors have only a few seconds to view the artwork (usually projected), and it needs to catch their eyes quickly. I'd suggest trying the same subject with different backgrounds- gray and black. Also, if the small sphere is a separate piece, don't include it in the photo.

ann
05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Frequently I have been a judge at various art festivals in my area (atlanta) 4 shots are required, 3 of the work and one of the booth. I can't even begin to express how often the booth shot is awful. The guide line for these events are very clear about what shouldn't be in that booth photo. It is shocking that folks who "think" they are artist can't comprehend what a nice image of their working booth means.

You may try getting in touch with the local artists and talk them into hiring you to not only take a photo of their booth, but also be sure it is well lite, no people, no names, no trash. All those items knock down the score for the judging process.

eddie
05-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Here's an old booth shot I once used. We set the booth up in a friend's studio, and lit it with strobes. To make life easier, the framed pieces were hung without glass, so reflections were not an issue.

lightwisps
05-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Fantastic, thanks Eddie. Rules up here are very similar. I am going to play with this whole idea. Our first art show led to us owning a gallery up here. Thanks again. Don

lightwisps
05-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Eddie, got so excited I missed the rest of your post. Really good and useful info for me. Thanks again, Don

lightwisps
05-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks Ann. Great information. Don

ann
05-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Nice shot that Eddie posted for you. I wish 80% of the art festival crowd would send along images along those lines.