PDA

View Full Version : It's Not GAS until you have all of these...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

benjiboy
06-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Naw, the camera salesman probably got a spiff (bonus) for selling a particular brand. If it's between you getting the best camera for you and him getting a sawbuck guess who wins? I'm not knocking all camera salespersons, but it happens more than it should.
I agree desertratt, I too dislike the kind of salespeople that this sort of company policy produces, I worked in camera stores for almost 25 years, and I preferred to have my staff paid a bonus on them collectively reaching a monthly and annual sales target, in fact it wasn't unusual on the last Saturday of the bonus period for the store to stay open until we had achieved our target because it made a big difference to our salary.

Wolfeye
06-01-2013, 08:48 PM
I have but two on the list, AE-1 and F3, but I have 4 AE-1's and two F3's so I have six on the list. :) There shoulda been an APS and a 110 on there too. I've got more odd looks from my Pentax Auto 110 than anything else.

tony lockerbie
06-01-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't have a SWC :( This is like a camera equivalent of penis envy...I hope I don't front up to a urinal with those damned SWC owners!

Roger Cole
06-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I have but two on the list, AE-1 and F3, but I have 4 AE-1's and two F3's so I have six on the list. :) There shoulda been an APS and a 110 on there too. I've got more odd looks from my Pentax Auto 110 than anything else.

For odd but approving looks, nothing beats a TLR. I don't have a Rollei though one is on my "one day" list but my Yashicamat 124 suffices fine for the looks. And unlike the 110 you can readily get film for it, AND print to 16x20 from it with nearly zero visible grain, if so inclined.

mesantacruz
06-01-2013, 11:53 PM
no Brownie!?

lxdude
06-02-2013, 12:09 AM
And don't forget my Teenage Age Mutant Turtles 110 camera.

Uh-oh. Sounds like you got a knockoff. It's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I hope you didn't pay much.;);)

mesantacruz
06-02-2013, 12:23 AM
^ haha, mutant turtles, picasso, warhola, dali, van gough

Sirius Glass
06-02-2013, 06:36 AM
I don't have a SWC :( This is like a camera equivalent of penis envy...I hope I don't front up to a urinal with those damned SWC owners!

For everyone else a SWC would not be penis envy, quite the opposite. For you of course being very short would be a length improvement. :whistling:

Dan Fromm
06-02-2013, 07:55 AM

If you want to make someone with an SWC feel inadequate, turn up with a 38/4.5 Biogon on an Alpa 12. If you want to make someone with a 38/4.5 Biogon on an Alpa 12 feel inadequate, turn up with a 38/4.5 Biogon on a Century Graphic.

ambaker
06-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Of the list I have one. The Pentax 67. Just recently acquired, and going to shoot the first roll of film today.

I've also got a couple of near misses. No Canon AE-1 , but I do have the A-1 and the AE-1 Program. I like the A-1 best of the two. Though it has developed, "the squeak". I've owned it since new. The AE-1 was a gift from a friend, who has "moved on" to a phone cam.

I've also got a Rolleicord V, and a III, but no Rolleiflex.

tony lockerbie
06-02-2013, 05:36 PM
To make matters worse, people keep advertising SWC's for sale in the classifieds!

NB23
06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I have number 1, so I win! If you do not have a Hasselblad SWC eat your heart out.

Had one. Didn't like it.

Poisson Du Jour
06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
That's a good, nicely written article, free of floss and artifice. The pic of the Nikon F3 brought back memories of my time as an owner of this beast. The pic of the 67 caused me a sudden pang of pain in the neck...

Love the XA! Everybody should own one at least once and hang on to it. A few notable omissions: the OM 1n and 2n and OM4. Still, I guess if you're pressed for 10, there has to be a sacrifice or two.

ambaker
06-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Considering that it appeared in a computer mag, I am very impressed that they devoted the space to it.

Sirius Glass
06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Considering that it appeared in a computer mag, I am very impressed that they devoted the space to it.

It must have been a slow month for them. They could not come up with another "How to" for Photo$hop.

GRHazelton
09-08-2013, 05:37 PM
A fun list. While the only camera on the list I own is the Pentax LX, I do have three of them, with the finder base, the high point finder for the base, and two winders. They are addictive, and are unsurpassed for looooong exposures at night or fireworks.

I'd nominate for addition, since I own them :), the Voigtlander Vitessa L with the f2 Ultron lens, the Retina IIIc with the f2 Xenon, and the lovely Zeiss Ikon Contessa with the f2.8 Tessar. This last early 1950's gem has a level of fit and finish which would be very hard to equal with new cameras. Perhaps Leica.

AstroZon
12-11-2013, 10:22 AM
I too was surprised to see the Canon AE-1. Great camera, but rather pedestrian for a to-be-seen-with list.

Maybe I'll make a webpage of my top 10 good-yet-affordable film cameras.

analoguey
12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Cool cameras? The list went from weird to normal to weird.
Find it strange that it doesn't have any cameras that have a blazing red bellows.

benjiboy
12-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't own any of these cameras, and don't lust after them, is there something wrong with me ?

Sirius Glass
12-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't own any of these cameras, and don't lust after them, is there something wrong with me ?

That just shows that you have well above intelligence.