PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange #29 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

piu58
06-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Yesterday I received three card at once:
"Too many monkeys" from Steve Frizza
"Weathered Pillars" from (could not decipher the name)
"Backlog in las Vegas", including self portrait from Peter Schrager
It is always fun to find cards from you in my letter box.
~

One remark to my photo

> Uwe's thistles were the first to arrive. The toning/paper really works with this image.

The paper is not toned at all. It got the yellowish hue because it is 70 years old.

Ed Bray
06-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Received 2 Cards this morning, 1 from Trond "Shore" and the other from Red River Coulee "Weathered Pillars"

Many thanks to both of you, both very nice images indeed.

Stephen Frizza
06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
The First of my post Cards Have arrived in the Mail during this week...the first arrivals were Andres (ndrs) , Edward Bray, Andrew, Uwe Pilz, mesantacruz.

Some Comments:

Uwe Pilz : I got the Cheeta. I love that you printed this on such old stock and produced such a lovely result. Many thanks.

Anders (ndrs) : I think you picked a really good image to print on this paper stock its good to see it not wasted and is nice to get a colour card. I love that style of hat.

Edward Bray : Lovely image of a train, your postcard has a ton of detail in it.Thanks for the historical story with your image. I was really impressed by your ability to print on the back of the paper, As a pro lab owner I would love to know in detail about how you went about this as inkjets certainly do not work!

Andrew: Nice architectural contact print of a 4x5" shot of a stadium. I like your tones and the shapes in this.

mesantacruz: Your postcard of the beach scene at dusk fills me with nostalgia. I love the location and your rendition of the water in this.

Many thanks for the efforts you all put into making these cards. How lovely to think your images have come from so far away.

Trond
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
The card from Steven Frizza arrived today. Great card!

Thanks,
Trond

Ed Bray
06-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Edward Bray : Lovely image of a train, your postcard has a ton of detail in it.Thanks for the historical story with your image. I was really impressed by your ability to print on the back of the paper, As a pro lab owner I would love to know in detail about how you went about this as inkjets certainly do not work!

I just put the postcards though my laser printer. I found that if I printed them in the correct orientation they came out with patches of light and dark areas so I turned the print in word upside down in a text box and put the postcards into the laser paper tray 'back to front'. All was well although I wasted a few on my trials.

piu58
06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Dear Trond, your card arrived today. Very nice view! I am canoeist and see such scenes with other eyes.

JimO
06-28-2013, 06:39 PM
The exposure was 8 minutes at f/22. My meter gave a spot reading of 4 minutes, so to account for reciprocity failure I did a 12 minute exposure as well. The 12 minute exposure looked a little blown out in the highlights so I printed from the 8 minute exposure. I think compensating for the long exposure with a little less time in the developer would have given a bit more highlight detail.. oh well. I hope you guys like it. Apologies for the bad handwriting!

now i got to appreciate a great photograph on a whole other level! thanks for the thinking/info behind an impressive piece of work!!!:D

and with uwe pilz! take insight, courage, or testing, (all three?) - very nice!

ChristopherCoy
07-01-2013, 04:00 AM
I just wanted to check in...

I have received a number of absolutely amazing cards, and they are all sitting on my kitchen table waiting for more in depth reviewing.

For one reason or another, I have been traveling every weekend since April and have not been home, except for those few days off that fall in the middle of the week. Other than that I have been all over the State of Texas, and over to Louisiana more times than I can remember - and I'll be heading back again in three weeks. We've put over 5,000 miles on the brand new car that we bought on April 20th, if that gives you any indication.

I have every intention of completing an afternoon of intense printing very soon and hope to get things in the mail ASAP. Between this exchange and the FilmWasters exchange, I have something like 45 cards to print, and I insist on doing it by hand sooooo......

Anyway, thank you for your patience, and I apologize!

piu58
07-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Yesterday I got a great print from Katrin Bechhold. It is a self portrait made form a collodion print. Something real special, very fine. My wife called it "real art".

Ed Bray
07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Yesterday I got a great print from Katrin Bechhold. It is a self portrait made form a collodion print. Something real special, very fine. My wife called it "real art".

I agree, I got my copy this morning. Very nice.

Fozzle
07-04-2013, 04:01 PM
I received a beautiful card from Trond the other day, called 'Shore'. I really like the calmness it provides, thank you.

Oxleyroad
07-05-2013, 11:02 PM
7/30. Two more this week.

Trond - Shore. Wonderfull detail, and well framed image.
redrockcoulee - Weathered Pillars. Great image of the water (snow), wood and water.

ndrs
07-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I've just returned from a two-week trip to California and Nevada. My plan was to mail all postcards to US addresses from there to save on postage and ensure faster delivery. Unfortunately, British Airways managed to lose one of our suitcases. Sadly it was the one that contained an envelope with all the cards.

I'm no longer hoping to recover the suitcase. However, I'll wait for another week before deciding what to do about the missing cards. I have a few spares but not enough for everybody. This would mean some of you will receive a repacement print as I've run out of the expired Kodak colour paper it was printed on.

The rest of the cards will go out in the next few days after I've found time to go to the post office and buy stamps for them.

Sorry,
Andres

Oxleyroad
07-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Andres, that's rotten news. But all part of the exchange. We will all look forward to whatever you decide to send out.

viridari
07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Oh wow, this sounds like a brilliant idea. I'm going to get up to speed before the next exchange begins.

George Nova Scotia
07-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Yes viridari it is a wonderful idea. Next sign up start September 1st, see you there!

Today I opened my mailbox and found 201 cards! One from Trond and 200 I'll mention later.

So far this round I received cards from:

Trond "Shore"
Peter Schrager "Backlot in Las Vegas with Photographer"
Andrew's "Hello from Montreal"
Red Rock Coulee's "Weathered Pillars"
mesantacruz untitled Surfers
Ed Bray's "GWR Pannier Tank 6430"
piu58's "Carline Thistle" toned with time

and the other 200? Well I received two unopened boxes of Spiratone Photocard paper made in Germany. I have no idea if it's any good, but we'll have to see in the next few days what becomes of it.:)

MattKing
07-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Well mine are now on their way.

The US and international cards were mailed from the US, while the Canadian ones were mailed from here.

And this time I dealt with the fortunate problem I have with this exchange.

The problem? Of the 40 or so participating in this round, 4 of us are in the same Darkroom Photography Group!

And the other three are on my list.

And they have seen almost all my recent stuff:laugh:.

So most of my cards are of one photo, but my Darkroom Group friends are getting two others.

Hope you enjoy them.

I'll do my best to soon comment on those I have received.

anikin
07-12-2013, 08:37 PM
My postcards are in the mail...

I have received a few very nice cards. I will comment on them once I receive some more.

Eugene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mooseontheloose
07-13-2013, 02:46 AM
I've been developing a huge backlog of film -- around 40 rolls -- in hopes that I'll have something new to deliver to the exchange. I'm almost done (only 8 more rolls to go) so hopefully I get prints out by the end of the month.

In the meantime, I've received some really great postcards, but I'll have to comment on them later when I'm a bit more organized!

Steelbar
07-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Sent my last few Canadian postcards yesterday and US and international postcards last week while we were at Orcas Island. I may have found my next postcard photo on Orcus Island. Every time I took a picture I kept thinking there's another postcard.
Cheers
Bruce (steelbar)