PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco APUGers, I need to borrow something...

macandal
06-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Hello. I sent my light meter to be properly calibrated and I need to borrow one (reflective light meter) for a class I'm starting next week. Can someone help me out? I'll leave a deposit if necessary. Post back here or email me at macandal yahoo com. Thanks.

rorye
06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
I've got a Pentax spotmeter if you need it.

macandal
06-04-2013, 10:03 PM
I've got a Pentax spotmeter if you need it.rorye, I would love take you up on your offer. Like I said, I can leave a deposit with you. The class lasts for 6 weeks (June 12 to July 17). What area of San Francisco do you live in?

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
06-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Adolph Gassers might be able to rent you one and cut you a deal for a long term rental.

macandal
06-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Okay APUGers, the meter I was going to borrow has gone AWOL. I still need to borrow one. Can someone hook me up? Like I said, I can give you a deposit. Thanks.

macandal
06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Please.

Anyone?

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
06-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Gassers has a Sekonic L-508 they rent for $15 per weekend or $45 per week. Rent that one for your first week and then ask around the class. Likely someone will have something to lend you. Otherwise buy a used one from Gassers or ebay and re-sell after. Used good ones hold their value well. At least in the short term. I'd lend you mine but I'm shooting in NY in a couple weeks and then going to the Sierras right after that and am using it both times.

Jon Shiu
06-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I got a Gossen Luna Pro SBC.

Jon

Roger Thoms
06-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Don't have a spare meter so sorry I can't help. Just for future reference, I send my meter to Quality Light Metric down on Hollywood and had it back in less than a week and in perfect working order.

Roger

Bill Burk
06-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Roger, I've got the meter to spare but there's logistics issues, you heading down this way in the next few days?

Roger Thoms
06-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Bill, unfortunately no, I'm going out of town Monday and just don't have time.

Roger

macandal
06-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Don't have a spare meter so sorry I can't help. Just for future reference, I send my meter to Quality Light Metric down on Hollywood and had it back in less than a week and in perfect working order.

RogerRoger, that's where I sent mine. Haven't heard from him yet.

Roger Thoms
06-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Roger, that's where I sent mine. Haven't heard from him yet.

Maybe I was just lucky. I would give them a call and see what's up.

Roger

macandal
06-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Hello all. Thanks for all your help. I got my meter back. However, now I'm in the market for a Sekonic L-558R meter. If anyone has one for sale, please let me know.

macandal
07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Okay dear APUGers I need your help yet again. So I got my meter back and it's all good. I'm still in the market for a Sekonic L-558R meter, but, in the meantime, is there a good, affordable spot meter (1 degree) I can buy? The 558Rs are going for about $300, is there a good spot meter that I can buy right now for much less? I know I can buy a spot attachment for my Luna Gossen Pro, but that only gives me a 7 degree view. I want a 1 degree view. Can you guys suggest something that meets my requirements? Thanks.

Mark_S
07-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Mario

I use the Pentax Digital spot - which gives me a 1 degree spot, and is very intuitive for shooting zone system. I also have a Minolta Autometer IVF with the 5degree spot attachement. Other than the spot size, the way that the minolta provides the exposure information I find much harder to use than with the Pentax.

I don't think that you will save $$$ with the Pentax, but it does work wonderfully.

Mark

TheFlyingCamera
07-21-2013, 10:05 PM
If you shop carefully, the Minolta Spotmeter M (Spotmeter F if you have to have studio flash metering) is usually able to be found for under $200 ($200-250 for the F). I have an F and it is terrific. In addition to taking single readings, you can also use it to calculate high-low-range readings, and display those readings on the LCD.

macandal
07-22-2013, 11:37 AM
I thought I could save a few bucks, but you don't really save much, do you? At those prices, I might as well go ahead and buy the meter I want: the Sekonic L-558R. What should I pay for one of those? Thanks.