PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver (Island) APUG meetup?

polyglot
06-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I plan to be in the Vancouver area 2-5 September; subject to some small variations. Do we want to have an APUG meetup, perhaps on Vancouver Island?

I know those are weekdays which will suck for all you working stiffs, but that's what I've got to work with. Evenings are fine too, though I plan to be on the island for probably two nights and up in the mountains on the third night (or maybe reverse that order).

The evening of the 5th I'll probably be in Vancouver CBD because my flight out is about 2300 and I will have probably dumped the hire car in the early afternoon. Maybe some night/city photography and a meal in Chinatown?

mooseontheloose
06-26-2013, 07:23 AM
It's too bad you won't be there in August when I'm going (or vice versa!) -- it could have been a real international meet-up!

I'm jealous of all your plans in Canada. It's a shame I never explored my country the same way I do the rest of the world.

PhotoBob
06-27-2013, 12:24 AM
There are a few of us Apuggers here in Victoria, so if coming on down ... please let us know :)
Maybe we can show you the darkroom/studio where we do some of the stuff you might see on this site.

polyglot
06-27-2013, 09:24 AM
I certainly intend to get to Victoria, probably for a lunch and/or afternoon. Then off to somewhere nearby (suggestions?) for the good light.

PhotoBob
06-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Sometimes the downtown area with the setting sunlight can be very dramatic.
Also the shore line along Dallas Road - Finnleyson Pt., Ogden Pt. are some suggestions.
Ogden Pt. might also be nice after lunch or a walk about downtown (Atrium).
Depending on time, there are some nearby parks.
Gov't House Grounds can also be very nice, but it really depends upon the type of photography you are looking for.

polyglot
09-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

Plans are now firmed up: I will reach the island about midnight tonight (Monday), drive to Campbell River to drop a colleague off tomorrow morning then work my way slowly down the coast. Meet up in Nanaimo hopefully Tuesday evening/dinner (location suggestions welcome!). Then I'll mooch around Wednesday morning near Nanaimo before catching the ferry and going to Whistler for a night.

Won't have time to make it to Victoria, sorry.

polyglot
09-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Currently planning on being at Piper's Lagoon Park around 1700 until the light goes, then finding somewhere in Nanaimo for dinner.

polyglot
09-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Photos uploading here (https://www.flickr.com/photos/24125157@N00/sets/72157635452784256/). Just digital for the moment, it will take me a few months to get all (50 rolls?) the film processed and scanned; I'll post here again once the film is mostly uploaded.

And thankyou to sly for meeting me at Piper's Lagoon even after I was an hour late! I got a little waylaid in Cathedral Grove 'cos the light there was just wonderful.

polyglot
10-05-2013, 04:27 AM
Sly! (https://www.flickr.com/photos/24125157@N00/10096911443/)