PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment- July/August: The Color of Night

Pages : 1 [2] 3

JohnRichard
07-11-2013, 02:48 PM
This sounds exciting, I'll give it a try!

BirgerA
07-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Here's my thought on this - shoot color, anytime between twilight and dawn.

I'm currently in Finnmark in Northern Norway, we don't have twilight or dawn at the moment. If the weather permits we have midnight sun... Is that OK:p

I'll try to get something in colour.

StoneNYC
07-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm currently in Finnmark in Northern Norway, we don't have twilight or dawn at the moment. If the weather permits we have midnight sun... Is that OK:p

I'll try to get something in colour.

Ad a 4 stop ND filter hehe

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

barbara ann
07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm assuming we are to forgo flash in favor of loooong exposures?

StoneNYC
07-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm assuming we are to forgo flash in favor of loooong exposures?

Not necessarily, you could do both, flash and am hour long exposure sounds pretty good to me.

TheFlyingCamera
07-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Mixed lighting or ambient only is preferred. A flash-only exposure outdoors would tend to show very little background exposure. But if you wanted to get into painting with light using your strobe handheld off-camera that would be perfectly cool too!

StoneNYC
07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Mixed lighting or ambient only is preferred. A flash-only exposure outdoors would tend to show very little background exposure. But if you wanted to get into painting with light using your strobe handheld off-camera that would be perfectly cool too!

Yea as I said flash followed by 1 hour exposure... And I didn't mean on camera flash, sorry I almost never use that I was thinking strobes and pocket wizards etc :)

Bertus
07-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Velvia loaded, tripod on board, exposure meter ready, this week I'll try to catch some night colors. :bandit:

StoneNYC
07-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Some done already :) Some Ektar, Portra, and Provia100f (by accident... I meant to bring Velvia50 and instead grabbed the Provia400X!! ugh... so opted for the 100 since the 400X is my PRECIOUS... haha)

But none processed... that's the tough part with color film, the processing in a timely manner... I may not get to it before this is over... :(

TheToadMen
07-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Almost full moon overhere. I would like to make some nightly exposures (don't know what or where yet).
I'm gonna shoot ISO 400. What would be an appropriate aperture and shutter speed?
Too long an exposure will make the moon blurry because it moves too fast, I guess?

Any tips?

StoneNYC
07-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Almost full moon overhere. I would like to make some nightly exposures (don't know what or where yet).
I'm gonna shoot ISO 400. What would be an appropriate aperture and shutter speed?
Too long an exposure will make the moon blurry because it moves too fast, I guess?

Any tips?

For a moon shot, you'll need a shutter of about 1/200th plus or minus, as well as F/8 or f/11 (this is on a 35mm camera) and more than 300mm lens to get anything useful. Probably closer to 500mm or 600mm ... if you have a 300mm lens and a 2x extension that's probably best. If you have the 2x extension AND 400mm+ lenses... well can I come?? haha

TheToadMen
07-19-2013, 05:17 PM
For a moon shot, you'll need a shutter of about 1/200th plus or minus, as well as F/8 or f/11 (this is on a 35mm camera) and more than 300mm lens to get anything useful. Probably closer to 500mm or 600mm ... if you have a 300mm lens and a 2x extension that's probably best. If you have the 2x extension AND 400mm+ lenses... well can I come?? haha

You're welcome! If you start swimming right now, you'll be here in time for the full moon in two days.:laugh:

About shooting the moon, I think I wasn't clear. I don't want to make a close-up but shoot the scenery at night with the moon in the picture, without the moon streaking or blowing out ...
Any tips on that subject??

polyglot
07-19-2013, 05:47 PM
The moon will streak with exposures longer than about 1s depending on your focal length. It moves its own diameter every 2 minutes, so that should tell you how much it smears in a long exposure. It's fast.

Getting the moon to a midtone (and therefore revealing the details in it requires a sunny-11 exposure, e.g. ISO100 1/100s f/11. It's a short exposure because the moon is in full sun! However that's likely to be a gross underexposure for your foreground scene at night which could be several seconds (city) to an hour (dim landscape).

Here's an example (http://brodie-tyrrell.org/pad/index.php?id=2009/11/03) with multiple exposures. All are ISO100 f/11; the detailed moons are each 1/125 and three minutes apart, the really bright moon (and background city) is 4s.

StoneNYC
07-19-2013, 06:01 PM
The moon will streak with exposures longer than about 1s depending on your focal length. It moves its own diameter every 2 minutes, so that should tell you how much it smears in a long exposure. It's fast.

Getting the moon to a midtone (and therefore revealing the details in it requires a sunny-11 exposure, e.g. ISO100 1/100s f/11. It's a short exposure because the moon is in full sun! However that's likely to be a gross underexposure for your foreground scene at night which could be several seconds (city) to an hour (dim landscape).

Here's an example (http://brodie-tyrrell.org/pad/index.php?id=2009/11/03) with multiple exposures. All are ISO100 f/11; the detailed moons are each 1/125 and three minutes apart, the really bright moon (and background city) is 4s.

He has 400 film hence why I said 200/th second. But I would get some blur on close ups any slower than 1/30 if I recall, it's been a while, I lost my interest when I realized to get a really blow yoir eyes out shot I needed an 800mm lens

TheToadMen
07-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Thanks, that's a kind like the multi exposure I was thinking about.

TheToadMen
07-19-2013, 06:18 PM
He has 400 film hence why I said 200/th second. But I would get some blur on close ups any slower than 1/30 if I recall, it's been a while, I lost my interest when I realized to get a really blow yoir eyes out shot I needed an 800mm lens

I once used a Russian 1000 mm (mirror) lens with an 1.4 extender on my Nikon camera for shooting the moon and it worked great.

polyglot
07-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Sorry... to answer the actual question, try a long exposure with the moon below the horizon and a fast exposure with the moon in the scene.

If you're a cheater, shoot the moon exposure with a really long focal length and then the scenery with a short focal length; the moon will look huge.

polyglot
07-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Well obviously adjust your shutter and aperture to suit. 1/200 will require f/11 to f/16 to get good detail in the moon at ISO400...

If you got blur below 1/30, it's almost certainly a tripod-technique issue, e.g. not waiting long enough for mirror vibrations to damp. It only moves 1/3600 of its diameter in that time!

TheToadMen
07-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Sorry... to answer the actual question, try a long exposure with the moon below the horizon and a fast exposure with the moon in the scene.

If you're a cheater, shoot the moon exposure with a really long focal length and then the scenery with a short focal length; the moon will look huge.

I also have a roll of Fuji Provia 1600 (@ 800 ISO) to finish in my Nikon F90x (= N90s in USA) so I'll experiment with these suggestions as well, thanks!
But it won't be tonight ....

CLOUDS ALL OVER !!! :(:(:(:(:(

71918 71919

TheToadMen
07-20-2013, 07:11 PM
CLOUDS ALL OVER !!!

Tonight was a clear night and almost a full moon. So I took out my Nikon F2 just now (01.00 AM) with an old 35 mm f/2 lens. It was loaded with 400 ASA film about 3 months ago, but I don't know which type anymore. Could be colour or B&W film, but I'm guessing colour.
I made some shots of the trees for about 4 minutes, light painting the trees with a flash light from several directions.
I also made a few shots of the moon with a modern 400 mm lens and a 1.4 converter attached. I shot the moon for 1/200 s. and then a landscape for 4 s as a double exposure.
I wonder if any will come out all right.
I also made a few shots of the moon on Fuji Provia 1600 @800 with my F90x (N90s in USA) and the 400 mm x 1.4 lens, but no double exposures, since I don't think/know that the F90x is capable of double exposures.