PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment- July/August: The Color of Night

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheFlyingCamera
07-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Here's my thought on this - shoot color, anytime between twilight and dawn. Play with street lighting, neon, car headlights and tail-lights. Explore time through the miracle of reciprocity compensation. Don't be afraid to get FUNKY with this - you can go for realistic or distorted color from mismatch of film color temperature to lighting source. All that matters is that it works. I don't care if your image is color negative, color transparency, print or straight scan. Just go out and explore the color of night. MULTIPLE entries are more than welcome, as I want to see people thinking creatively. Here's a teaser to get you started with food for thought:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/files/6/7/8/5/nellies1.jpg

StoneNYC
07-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Sweet!! So, can I use the shot from July 3rd of a 3 minute dusk exposure? Since it was taken in July? Hehe...

I like this one! Excited!

However as someone pointed out to me, you can't limit the medium, so I'm curious to submit a B&W "color of night" photo :)

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFlyingCamera
07-06-2013, 06:08 AM
I'd consider it if it was a hand-colored b/w image :) You can submit anything you like, but submitting a b/w image to a color themed contest would be like trying to cross pollinate a banana with broccoli :) ultimately not very successful.

polyglot
07-06-2013, 08:23 AM
You mean like this (https://plus.google.com/photos/112064700171231789580/albums/5893892645424772049?banner=pwa)? :)

You want multiple entries? I have sooooo many to choose from if we're allowed to dip into back-catalogues:) How about a night in Terelj National Park, Mongolia?
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6048/6291668814_06297f2927_b.jpg
6x7 Provia, f/8, 20 minutes. Light on the rocks is the full moon rising behind me; foreground orange light is tungsten.

I actually have a metre-high print of this on my dining room wall, part of a triptych.

I.G.I.
07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Here is another urban night spot/pub from across the pond to complement the OP image. I'm new to film and this is from my first roll of Fuji Pro 160; trying each negative offering on the market just to know what I like, and why.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qumnw-ZMa8I/UdhX8OsIVjI/AAAAAAAAAY8/UGOhnxa6qTc/s800/night.spot0054.jpeg

ignatiu5
07-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Color?! Nighttime?! Madness!

So very, very outside my comfort zone. I love/hate it.

StoneNYC
07-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Based on the distance of the movement of the stars, I would guess this were more like 40 minutes not 20... are you sure?

You mean like this (https://plus.google.com/photos/112064700171231789580/albums/5893892645424772049?banner=pwa)? :)

You want multiple entries? I have sooooo many to choose from if we're allowed to dip into back-catalogues:) How about a night in Terelj National Park, Mongolia?
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6048/6291668814_06297f2927_b.jpg
6x7 Provia, f/8, 20 minutes. Light on the rocks is the full moon rising behind me; foreground orange light is tungsten.

I actually have a metre-high print of this on my dining room wall, part of a triptych.

StoneNYC
07-06-2013, 02:00 PM

HAHA isn't that the point, to challenge ourselves?

I think we really aren't supposed to dip into our archives, the point is to try and be inventive NOW not later...

I could be wrong.. OP what's your ruling?

TheFlyingCamera
07-06-2013, 03:09 PM
The goal is to go out and TAKE NEW IMAGES. That's why it's an assignment! Obviously, if you don't tell me it's new, I can't prove you wrong, unless you do something utterly stupid like post a night shot with snow in it that was taken in the northern hemisphere anywhere below the Arctic Circle. So no subarctic color night photos with snow in them, ok?

TheFlyingCamera
07-06-2013, 03:14 PM

That was the point - I wanted to push people's comfort zones, make them get out and try something new and different that they may not have ever tried before. I'm more than happy to have a discussion in this thread on HOW to do this if folks want advice or need help. Color actually makes night easier, because color (neg films, anyway) requires less reciprocity compensation. From a meter-indicated 1 second to a meter indicated 30 seconds, add one stop. Longer than 30, add two. Get out there and shoot!

The other option for the thread would have been the other specialty I'm known for, male nudes. But I figured I would have gotten two or three entries, and probably from just one to two people. Especially since it would be asking folks to shoot new images for the assignment. It's tough to coordinate a shoot like that.

StoneNYC
07-06-2013, 03:38 PM
That was the point - I wanted to push people's comfort zones, make them get out and try something new and different that they may not have ever tried before. I'm more than happy to have a discussion in this thread on HOW to do this if folks want advice or need help. Color actually makes night easier, because color (neg films, anyway) requires less reciprocity compensation. From a meter-indicated 1 second to a meter indicated 30 seconds, add one stop. Longer than 30, add two. Get out there and shoot!

The other option for the thread would have been the other specialty I'm known for, male nudes. But I figured I would have gotten two or three entries, and probably from just one to two people. Especially since it would be asking folks to shoot new images for the assignment. It's tough to coordinate a shoot like that.

Plus there was enough issue with MY MSA and that was just ANY kind of nude .. hahaha which became "skin" because of all the fuss... I also asked for B&W only and everyone made a hissy fit about that too ... hence my (sarcastic) comment about how we should shoot B&W also...

Anyway, maybe I'll post a male nude night time long exposure... that should get me some points... haha

polyglot
07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Based on the distance of the movement of the stars, I would guess this were more like 40 minutes not 20... are you sure?

You can only estimate trail length if you know my focal length and the latitude of the stars... And believe me, I was counting every minute there with my arse freezing off.

Anyway, that's not an entry. The normal MSA rules are for new shots only, which makes me a little sad because clearly I won't be going back to Mongolia anytime soon.

I.G.I.
07-06-2013, 04:10 PM
go out and TAKE NEW IMAGES.

Well, my shot was taken at the end of June 2013. Should I remove it ?

TheFlyingCamera
07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
IGI- keep it for now. I'll count it if you absolutely can't shoot anything else between now and 31 August. But that's 2 months - more than enough time to shoot a whole roll of color film :)

MattKing
07-06-2013, 10:41 PM
This isn't eligible because it is 3 1/2 years old, but it may give people ideas.

TheToadMen
07-07-2013, 03:50 AM
I like this challenge. I suppose anyone can join in?
I still have a roll of (very old) Fuji Provia 1600 (@800 ASA) loaded in my Nikon F90x with some frames left.
I'll bite and use the rest of the frames on this theme (never done this).
The film will be cross processed in C41 in a local lab later.
I'll be back (before August, 31st)

BTW: should I worry about reciprocity compensation with this film? Anyone?

BTW2: since I will be out there at night, I'll also make some pinhole shots with my converted Gevabox camera
loaded with Konica PRO400 roll film. Should be fun.

StoneNYC
07-07-2013, 04:07 AM
I just wanna show off, I have two increadible panoramics I took in the grand canyon in January this year... but ... can I use the shot I took on July 3rd? even though you didn't tell us till July 5th? haha

TheFlyingCamera
07-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I'll allow anything after July 1. Close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades and thermonuclear weapons.

I like this challenge. I suppose anyone can join in?
I still have a roll of (very old) Fuji Provia 1600 (@800 ASA) loaded in my Nikon F90x with some frames left.
I'll bite and use the rest of the frames on this theme (never done this).
The film will be cross processed in C41 in a local lab later.
I'll be back (before August, 31st)

BTW: should I worry about reciprocity compensation with this film? Anyone?

BTW2: since I will be out there at night, I'll also make some pinhole shots with my converted Gevabox camera
loaded with Konica PRO400 roll film. Should be fun.

Yes, absolutely anyone and everyone are welcome to join. The more the merrier.

With regards to the film question, especially since you'll be cross-processing it, I would give reciprocity compensation. I don't know what the reciprocity factor is for that film, you'll have to look it up and see what they say. The really high speed films need more reciprocity comp than slow films do, usually. Once you get into hour-plus long exposures, the slow films can actually be faster than fast films because of reciprocity comp.

Anyway, maybe I'll post a male nude night time long exposure... that should get me some points... haha

Go for it. No problems or complaints here if you want to post something really off-the-wall. Go ahead and do light painting while you're at it! I want people to get CREATIVE!

Bertus
07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Oldie, but I still have a 6x6 Roll Film Velvia. I'm going to do something with this month.

Mark_S
07-10-2013, 11:16 PM
An old image - taken in Sept 2002 in Geneva, on Kodak E100VS, 35mm, Minolta X-700.71373