PDA

View Full Version : SILVERMAX

dr5chrome
07-06-2013, 02:29 AM
New images up on the dr5 site for ADOX-silvermax film. [B&W slides]

Images courtesy of Barney Kahn - http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/silvermax.html

regards-

Jeff Kubach
07-06-2013, 02:45 AM
Looks good.

Jeff

clayne
07-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Excellent stuff. I'm still convinced this film is APX100 though. ;-)

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
07-06-2013, 07:06 AM

Me too.

ADOX Fotoimpex
07-09-2013, 01:15 PM

But ofcourse. Itīs based on the APX 100 base emulsions but coated with an increased silver content onto a clear base.
Havenīt I said this earlier in this thread?

Mirko

viridari
07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Am I the only one that thinks these samples aren't encouraging?

miha
07-09-2013, 02:05 PM
But ofcourse. Itīs based on the APX 100 base emulsions but coated with an increased silver content onto a clear base.
Havenīt I said this earlier in this thread?

Mirko

Mirko, so why only in 135 format then if freshly coated? I would love it in other formats as well.

Sal Santamaura
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
...Havenīt I said this earlier in this thread?...No, in another thread. However, even if people read what is posted, sometimes they don't believe it. Please don't ask me why. :confused:

ADOX Fotoimpex
07-09-2013, 03:11 PM
so why only in 135 format then if freshly coated?

Itīs not so easy. Minimum quantities in coating are what give us hard times today. 35mm, 120 and sheets films are each a different coating.
The quality advantage also decreases when format size increases so whatever is a great 35mm film might end up being a "normal" sheet film.

We only had this clear 120 micron TAC base which we "inherited" from Agfa. If we had made a different format it would have been necessary to buy new base, formulate a different backside coating and AHU and run it in a different coating run. We are talking hundreds of thousands of EUR to get the first roll.
This would have made the other formats more expensive and given the sharp competition that we are all under we calculated this economicaly not to be advantageous, at least not today.
You can buy excellent film from our competitors ready made at prices for which we canīt even buy the raw materials.
We need to stick to what we can offer competitively. Unfortunately we canīt compete with everybody and everything.
Silvermax 35mm is a great film the way it is. Both from a quality and from a pricing standpoint.
Silvermax 120 wouldnīt be competitive in price.

If we are to remanufacture Silvermax in the future we also need to replace the sensitizers and stabilizers which are by now depleted.

This is all very complex and challenging.
Today we just ran sensitizing rows on the polywarmtone paper.
They will be evaluated tomorrow but looked great at a first glance.

Apart from this: The new CHS 100 II (http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX%20Films/Premium/CHS100_II/index.html) will be available in all formats because it is using all standard materials available today.

Mirko

miha
07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Thank you Mirko. I read this as a very informative and honest answer. Is it Ok to assume that CHS 100 II is/was cheaper for you to produce than SILVERMAX and will therefore be available in several formats?

ADOX Fotoimpex
07-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Thank you Mirko. I read this as a very informative and honest answer. Is it Ok to assume that CHS 100 II is/was cheaper for you to produce than SILVERMAX and will therefore be available in several formats?

Yes. We partnerd with others in this project on the emulsion and coating side and the technology involved is a bit more simple and shared among more parties. The film is modified to meet our demands (to be like CHS 100 old) but not entirely a reformulation.
Else we could have never offered it in the timeframe we plan to.

Mirko

miha
07-09-2013, 04:08 PM
It maks a lot of sense now. Thanks!