PDA

View Full Version : BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE ROUND 18 (BPX18) - Sign Up Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Ken Nadvornick
07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I forgot to mention in the announcement of the thread. Please let me know if you would rather ship your print within the same continent or worldwide. With shipping costs going through the roof, not everyone can afford to mail that 40x60 inch print to the other side of the world.

I'm more than happy to ship worldwide, if that helps with the final pairings. I normally pack my submissions to withstand direct nuclear strikes anyway.

:p

Ken

StoneNYC
07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Stone:

Read the FAQ thread linked to in the first post in the thread.

Sort of like the "Instruction Manual"

And yes, there are a number of different exchanges here on APUG. See the "Member Organized Functions" forum: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum61/

Thanks Matt, I had read a DIFFERENT exchange and thought this was it.

This one is too expensive for me...so I'm out, sorry guys...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Kehler
07-08-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm in.

anikin
07-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Welcome in Andrej and Kevin!

My latest list. Please let me know if I missed anyone:

Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Andrej (andreios)
Kevin (Kevin Kehler)

TheToadMen
07-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Yes!!
I made it to the short list. This will be my first run and I'm looking forward to it!
Now, what shall I shoot & print? I'll think of something ... That's half the fun.
Maybe a bit of Bronica SQ-B, Natasha 618 pinhole, Leica III, my converted Gevabox (into pinhole) or my Canonet camera?
So much options ....
(BTW: I'm willing to ship worldwide)
Berty from Holland
http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

paul_c5x4
07-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Paul, I assume that your addresses have not changed.

No change for me.

So how do you guys ship prints? Flat with stiffening material, or in tubes?

For many of the prints I've posted, I've usually placed them inside a plastic bag and sandwiched between a couple of sheets of stiff cardboard. Also used tubes for larger prints if it worked out cheaper... But after last year when postie decided to soak a print in a bucket of water (or it could have been a puddle), I've taken to using heavy duty food grade bags and heat sealing them.

Unless you know the print is heading for a desert region, I'd recommend a plastic bag or a layer of cling film (Saran/Glad/Plastic Wrap) to seal it against the risk of water damage.

mesantacruz
07-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Hello everyone, looking forward to this...

Katie
07-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh, dot wanna miss this! Just got back into town, do please add me to the list.

spijker
07-08-2013, 08:38 PM
I like the concept of this so I'm in for this round. I've read the FAQ. I don't mind shipping worldwide. Eugene, I'll send you a pm with my address.

Menno

piu58
07-08-2013, 11:28 PM
> This one is too expensive for me...so I'm out, sorry guys...

Dear Stone,

in postcard exchage you have to send a card to every participant of that round, or you select a slightly smaller amount of cards. So you have to deal with 20-40 cards every round.

In BPX you have to send only one, but usually larger print.

Costs are not that expansive, if you avoid sendig a real huge print overseas. A decent print can be sent in a large enveloppe.

Ken Nadvornick
07-09-2013, 12:06 AM
I mentioned this in the previous round, but it might be worth repeating here as well just to give an idea using some actual numbers.

My print went from near Seattle, Washington to Oslo, Norway, sent USPS. It was dry mounted on 11x14 board with a custom matte and a backing board. It was boxed at 12" x 16" x 4" and filled with bubble wrap. The total postage cost was USD $22.30. It took eleven days to arrive.

I would think this cost to be near the high end, unless the destination was further from me than Europe. I do think that, in absolute terms, for sending something of that size one-third of the way around the world in under two weeks, it's not an outrageous cost. Factoring in affordability, however, is another story entirely. YMMV...

Ken

MattKing
07-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I mentioned this in the previous round, but it might be worth repeating here as well just to give an idea using some actual numbers.

My print went from near Seattle, Washington to Oslo, Norway, sent USPS. It was dry mounted on 11x14 board with a custom matte and a backing board. It was boxed at 12" x 16" x 4" and filled with bubble wrap. The total postage cost was USD $22.30. It took eleven days to arrive.

I would think this cost to be near the high end, unless the destination was further from me than Europe. I do think that, in absolute terms, for sending something of that size one-third of the way around the world in under two weeks, it's not an outrageous cost. Factoring in affordability, however, is another story entirely.

Ken

I wonder how much it would have cost to send it just north, to Canada.

I ponder this, because sometimes there seems to be no sense to the rates.

As a case in point, I recently sent a JOBO developing tank and 1000 series reel to an APUG member in the eastern US. He only needed the reel, but it was cheaper to send it in a box big enough for the tank then it was to send it in a box just big enough for the reel.

And the cost of sending that parcel was over $10.00.

StoneNYC
07-09-2013, 12:28 AM
> This one is too expensive for me...so I'm out, sorry guys...

Dear Stone,

in postcard exchage you have to send a card to every participant of that round, or you select a slightly smaller amount of cards. So you have to deal with 20-40 cards every round.

In BPX you have to send only one, but usually larger print.

Costs are not that expansive, if you avoid sendig a real huge print overseas. A decent print can be sent in a large enveloppe.

OH!!

However again I don't wet print :(

I think I read I can use "lightjet" printing for chromes since Cibichrome isn't available anymore? What's lightjet? That may be my only option.

Ken Nadvornick
07-09-2013, 12:45 AM
I wonder how much it would have cost to send it just north, to Canada.

I ponder this, because sometimes there seems to be no sense to the rates.

As a case in point, I recently sent a JOBO developing tank and 1000 series reel to an APUG member in the eastern US. He only needed the reel, but it was cheaper to send it in a box big enough for the tank then it was to send it in a box just big enough for the reel.

And the cost of sending that parcel was over $10.00.

So I'm thinking you may have a "lilypad" business opportunity hiding in there somewhere, Matt! What's your address again???

I will add that the post office lady did have to spend a few minutes looking up the cost from a huge book. She also seemed unsure as to whether she was correct. "Were you prepared for that [amount]?" she asked, as if seeking confirmation from me that she wasn't wrong. With six people waiting in line behind me I wasn't going to argue a few dollars one way or the other, so I replied "Sure."

After hearing the package contained a photograph and quoting me the cost, she then asked, "Why don't you just email it?" Sigh... Without breaking eye contact I slowly picked up the box and gently shook it. I'm not sure that registed, however.

Ken

ataim
07-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Count me in. PM sent with information.

anikin
07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Marco, Mark, Menno, Katie and Paul, Welcome in!

Katie, I assume your address has not changed?

I feel this is going to be a great round! Updated list:

Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Andrej (andreios)
Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
Marco (mesantacruz)
Mark (Mark_S)
Menno (spijker)
Katie (Katie)
Paul (ataim)

MattKing
07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
So I'm thinking you may have a "lilypad" business opportunity hiding in there somewhere, Matt! What's your address again???

I will add that the post office lady did have to spend a few minutes looking up the cost from a huge book. She also seemed unsure as to whether she was correct. "Were you prepared for that [amount]?" she asked, as if seeking confirmation from me that she wasn't wrong. With six people waiting in line behind me I wasn't going to argue a few dollars one way or the other, so I replied "Sure."

After hearing the package contained a photograph and quoting me the cost, she then asked, "Why don't you just email it?" Sigh... Without breaking eye contact I slowly picked up the box and gently shook it. I'm not sure that registed, however.

Ken

If you really want to use up a frustrating amount of time, get a scale that will work for postal purposes (I use a digital kitchen scale) and then work your way through the options for parcels on Canada Post's website.

The good thing is that you can use that site to pay for the shipping and print the prepaid label and customs documentation from your computer, and if you pay for the more expensive options, they will come to you to pick up the parcel. Also, if you receive payment by PayPal for an eBay sale that you issued a PayPal invoice for, you can purchase the shipping through a Portal that originates there, and get access to special, discounted shipping options.

Now, after that aside, back to the matter at hand.

I'll join up again for this round.

I'll send you a PM with my address Eugene, although it is unchanged from the one I use for the Postcard Exchange.

MattKing
07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
OH!!

However again I don't wet print :(

I think I read I can use "lightjet" printing for chromes since Cibichrome isn't available anymore? What's lightjet? That may be my only option.

Lightjets are one of the options available to labs who want to print digital files on to photographic paper.

Just check with your lab about the output product. If it is a print on a paper that was light sensitive and required chemical development, it is fine. The most common is either Kodak or Fuji paper suitable for RA4 process (or the equivalent) but there are remnants of other suppliers (Mitsubishi?) and Ilford/Harman make black and white paper designed for lab digital exposures and chemical development.

In essence, if the prints are not ink on paper, they are okay.

EDIT: And of course, the original "capture" :blink: must be analogue in nature (usually photographic film).

StoneNYC
07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Lightjets are one of the options available to labs who want to print digital files on to photographic paper.

Just check with your lab about the output product. If it is a print on a paper that was light sensitive and required chemical development, it is fine. The most common is either Kodak or Fuji paper suitable for RA4 process (or the equivalent) but there are remnants of other suppliers (Mitsubishi?) and Ilford/Harman make black and white paper designed for lab digital exposures and chemical development.

In essence, if the prints are not ink on paper, they are okay.

EDIT: And of course, the original "capture" :blink: must be analogue in nature (usually photographic film).

Ok I'm in again, PMing the appropriate people.

anikin
07-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Welcome back Matt!
It's good to have you here, Stone!

Here's updated list, please let me know if I missed someone:

Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)