PDA

View Full Version : BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE ROUND 18 (BPX18) - Sign Up Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

mjs
07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I signed up again. I like sending and receiving prints from around the world!

Mike

TheToadMen
07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
In essence, if the prints are not ink on paper, they are okay.
EDIT: And of course, the original "capture" :blink: must be analogue in nature (usually photographic film).

WOW: I feel a whole new style of alternative photography arising: the analogue N.I.O.P. print.;):laugh:
Just short: this is an "Aniop print" exchange.

Or to be more precise: a "not ink on paper & analogue in nature" print = a N.I.O.P.A.I.N. print

BTW: Bromoil printing isn't excluded, is it ??

MattKing
07-09-2013, 04:31 PM
BTW: Bromoil printing isn't excluded, is it ??

I knew someone would come up with an exception to my attempt to simplify the answer:p.

As long as the ink is put down by an inkjet printer, I would think Bromoil will meet the criteria.

TheToadMen
07-09-2013, 04:55 PM
I knew someone would come up with an exception to my attempt to simplify the answer:p.

As long as the ink is put down by an inkjet printer, I would think Bromoil will meet the criteria.

Bromoil printing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromoil_Process) doesn't involve any inkjet printing: you're the printer yourself! It is a very old printing process, wherein the silver in the image is replaced by ink. The Bromoil printing process was invented in 1907 be Englishman C. Welbourne Piper on a suggestion from E.J. Wall (http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/history/history-of-the-bromoil-process).

In short: print an image (conventional B&W print on a fibre based bromide paper from a negative), bleach, keep paper wet while stamping ink (any colour(s) you choose) on it with a special brush.
See: Making a Bromoil print (http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/bromoils/making-a-bromoil-print) for a better description.

It's one of my favorite alt-photo processes.

StoneNYC
07-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I called my photo lab, they say their prints are still chemical even though the file is a digital scan of a chrome, which works for me, so I'll be able to do it :)

MattKing
07-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Bromoil printing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromoil_Process) doesn't involve any inkjet printing: you're the printer yourself! It is a very old printing process, wherein the silver in the image is replaced by ink. The Bromoil printing process was invented in 1907 be Englishman C. Welbourne Piper on a suggestion from E.J. Wall (http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/history/history-of-the-bromoil-process).

In short: print an image (conventional B&W print on a fibre based bromide paper from a negative), bleach, keep paper wet while stamping ink (any colour(s) you choose) on it with a special brush.
See: Making a Bromoil print (http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/bromoils/making-a-bromoil-print) for a better description.

It's one of my favorite alt-photo processes.

Bert:

I know;).

Bromoils are beautiful, individual pieces of Art.

I just wanted to make sure that someone doesn't try to use an inkjet printer to try to make one for this exchange!

EDIT: I don't think we have heard from Gene Laughter in a long time here on APUG. I wonder how he is doing?

semi-ambivalent
07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Anikin,

I'm in again.

s-a

TheToadMen
07-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Bert:
I know;).
Bromoils are beautiful, individual pieces of Art.
I just wanted to make sure that someone doesn't try to use an inkjet printer to try to make one for this exchange!

Hi Matt,
I thought so, since you wrote: "As long as the ink is put down by an inkjet printer, I would think Bromoil will meet the criteria." I wasn't sure.
I suppose you mend: "As long as the ink is NOT put down by an inkjet printer ..." to avoid people thinking that Bromoil is a new kind of Quad Tone RIP or Epson Ultrachrome ink???
(Am I even allowed to use such words on APUG?:blink:)

paul_c5x4
07-10-2013, 05:16 AM
(Am I even allowed to use such words on APUG?:blink:)

Most certainly not.... /me wanders off to give Van Helsing a call...

However, this "ink on paper" discussion does raise a question about another process - Carbon prints. No intermediate silver based paper used, just whack a layer of India Ink on to a sheet of paper and expose (OK, ink is mixed with gelatin and the process is a little more involved).

StoneNYC
07-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Imagine if the person who gets my print really dislikes me but likes the print, oh the irony and confusion...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

TheToadMen
07-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Most certainly not.... /me wanders off to give Van Helsing a call...

However, this "ink on paper" discussion does raise a question about another process - Carbon prints. No intermediate silver based paper used, just whack a layer of India Ink on to a sheet of paper and expose (OK, ink is mixed with gelatin and the process is a little more involved).

Good point, but two different factors might be confused this way.
1) We want analogue prints, not inkjet prints. Check!
However, an analogue print doesn't have to be on silver based photographic paper only. Thus all alt-photo procedures like, gum printing, casein printing cyanotype, carbon printing (as invented by Alphonse Poitevin in 1855, not laserprinting), salt printing, etc. are eligible, IF:
2) the original image/negative was made in an analogue way. So, not an image made with an Iphone, worked over in Photoshop and digital printed as a negative.

Shortly: If you can find the printing process in this wonderful & must read book, it is allowed (IMHO):
You'll get the drift ....

BirgerA
07-11-2013, 05:25 AM
Hi all

I'm in again. Address as before, will ship worldwide.

I'm currently on holiday in Northern Norway, and hope that whatever I send will be from this trip.

anikin
07-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Mike, Reed and Birger, welcome back!

Here's the updated list:

Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Andrej (andreios)
Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
Marco (mesantacruz)
Mark (Mark_S)
Menno (spijker)
Katie (Katie)
Paul (ataim)
Stone (StoneNYC)
Matt (MattKing)
Mike (mjs)
Reed (semi-ambivalent)
Birger (BirgerA)

StoneNYC
07-11-2013, 11:58 AM
After trying to send a small 50mm lens to Scotland and discovering it would cost $75-100 shipping, I would like to request CONUS only if that's ok, I can't take a risk of that it worse. That's ok right.

anikin
07-11-2013, 12:32 PM
After trying to send a small 50mm lens to Scotland and discovering it would cost $75-100 shipping, I would like to request CONUS only if that's ok, I can't take a risk of that it worse. That's ok right.

Sure thing. I'll make a note. If anyone else would like to limit shipping, please let me know. I can't guarantee, but will try to accommodate if at all possible.

Katie
07-11-2013, 12:39 PM
My address is the same as always. Thanks for including me again!

TheToadMen
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Sure thing. I'll make a note. If anyone else would like to limit shipping, please let me know. I can't guarantee, but will try to accommodate if at all possible.

I'll ship worldwide, no problem.
But maybe you could try to couple the people in the same country/continent first, then hook up the rest.
May help keeping shipping costs low(er) and it might even be nice to learn to know fellow photographers in your own "neighborhood".
Otherwise, it is also nice to receive an image from the other side of the world.
I don't know .... you'll decide and we'll follow :p

Dali
07-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Hi, I am in (same address) even if I did not received any print from the last round...

anikin
07-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Welcome back Nicolas! Don't despair, international shipments can take several months to get though. I'm sure the print will come one day.

This is becoming the biggest round in my memory. Exciting!

Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Andrej (andreios)
Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
Marco (mesantacruz)
Mark (Mark_S)
Menno (spijker)
Katie (Katie)
Paul (ataim)
Stone (StoneNYC)
Matt (MattKing)
Mike (mjs)
Reed (semi-ambivalent)
Birger (BirgerA)
Nicolas (Dali)

analoguey
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Will wait until the 30 counter is racked up.

Meanwhile - the prints, are they supposed to be only those made in a darkroom, or would a scanned print do too?