PDA

View Full Version : BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE ROUND 18 (BPX18) - Sign Up Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

StoneNYC
07-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Will wait until the 30 counter is racked up.

Meanwhile - the prints, are they supposed to be only those made in a darkroom, or would a scanned print do too?

Scanned negatives are not allowed, but scanned transparencies are because getting ahold of ilfochrome/cibichrome papers and chemistry is nearly impossible since it's no longer made, so they made that exception (I know this because that's my situation) there's a way to do this where you scan it and then send it to a printer that does chemical printing from digital images, if can NOT be an ink print though, has to be chemically printed, so make sure your lab does that... many labs now don't use chemicals to process their prints anymore so you have to be sure.

That said, read the FAQ

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum182/110811-introduction-blind-print-exchange.html

analoguey
07-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Scanned negatives are not allowed, but scanned transparencies are because getting ahold of ilfochrome/cibichrome papers and chemistry is nearly impossible since it's no longer made, so they made that exception (I know this because that's my situation) there's a way to do this where you scan it and then send it to a printer that does chemical printing from digital images, if can NOT be an ink print though, has to be chemically printed, so make sure your lab does that... many labs now don't use chemicals to process their prints anymore so you have to be sure.

That said, read the FAQ

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum182/110811-introduction-blind-print-exchange.html

quite confused by those words in italics above. :blink:

StoneNYC
07-29-2013, 05:43 PM
quite confused by those words in italics above. :blink:

Not sure what browser you're using, what words in italics are you referring to? I don't see any words in italics...

TheToadMen
07-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Not sure what browser you're using, what words in italics are you referring to? I don't see any words in italics...

Yes, you do, if you follow your own link about the FAQ :whistling:

Is says:

"NEW MINIMUM POST REQUIREMENT This is an open exchange and all printers are welcome. However, I think it should be something special for members here on APUG that participate. Therefore, there is a minimum requirement of 30 posts by members in order to qualify to participate in the Blind Print Exchange. We have had great exchanges in the past and I do not foresee problems in the future. If you do not have the required post count, please wait until you do. We will welcome you into the exchange at that time. For those who have less than the required posts but have participated in the past you will, of course, be grandfathered into future rounds."

Maybe that's why he is waiting for the count of 30 .... ;)

StoneNYC
07-29-2013, 09:21 PM

Is says:

OH that doesn't look like italics on my screen haha, apparently MY BROWSER is the one that's broken haha, also, it's the 29th and I thought he was saying that we were off to the races tomorrow because it was the 30th of the month...

With my post count... having 30 posts probably took me about an hour LOL :)

analoguey
07-29-2013, 11:48 PM

Is says:

That is the 30, I was referring to, however the italics I was referring to, was in my own post above, quoting stone-NYC.
Hehe, much confusion.

- via tapatalk.

analoguey
07-29-2013, 11:50 PM
OH that doesn't look like italics on my screen haha, apparently MY BROWSER is the one that's broken haha, also, it's the 29th and I thought he was saying that we were off to the races tomorrow because it was the 30th of the month...

With my post count... having 30 posts probably took me about an hour LOL :)

Hahaha.
And going back to my confusion, it was re post 62, where I quoted you in italics - those words in italics. :-)

- via tapatalk.

StoneNYC
07-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Hahaha.
And going back to my confusion, it was re post 62, where I quoted you in italics - those words in italics. :-)

- via tapatalk.

With this particular exchange (there are a few different ones, this is the "blind print exchange") you can only send prints made with traditional processes, like developing film, and printing "the old fashioned way" with an enlarger and print paper and chemicals to develop the film.

There is ONE exception, and that is if you use Transparency film AKA slide film AKA E-6 processed film. The reason is that the kind of paper and chemicals that you need to print these with an enlarger are no longer available unless you have a stash hidden away, so ONLY with slide film, you can scan them and then have a lab print them. But labs these days have two main options on how they print, they can use their new printers which (I'm making this basic guys, I know this isn't exact) will print a photo just like a home printer can print a photo with ink onto photo paper, there are no chemicals or developing involved. The OTHER way to print is a fancy machine that MIMICS an enlarger, and the image is then "enlarged" onto print paper in a dark room and developed in chemicals just like the "old fashioned way". So for this exchange they ONLY allow CHEMICAL DEVELOPING for the printing part, so you have to call your local printer and make sure they are printing with chemicals, and not printing with ink.

Does that sort of make sense?

This is all in the FAQ, but if you're not familiar with the terms they use "light jet printer" you won't know what they mean so that's why I'm attempting to spell it out for you.

Still confused?

analoguey
07-30-2013, 03:27 AM
Yes, I understand now, thanks. I only saw the 30 post limit(on the faq), must have skimmed through the rest of the post!

- via tapatalk.

analoguey
07-30-2013, 03:38 AM
Right. Sign me up as well.
I must mention that getting an analogue print is almost next to impossible here, with everyone having moved digital and processing itself being in about half dozen places only (and this in a city with ~9 million ppl) will still try to get one.

- via tapatalk.

anikin
08-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Right. Sign me up as well.
I must mention that getting an analogue print is almost next to impossible here, with everyone having moved digital and processing itself being in about half dozen places only (and this in a city with ~9 million ppl) will still try to get one.

- via tapatalk.

No problem. Just send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll add you to the list. Welcome to the BPX and APUG!

Eugene.

anikin
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
I have Bob (megzdad81) added to the list. We are about a week away from the end of the sign up period. If you are thinking of joining, don't wait too long!

Latest list:
Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Andrej (andreios)
Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
Marco (mesantacruz)
Mark (Mark_S)
Menno (spijker)
Katie (Katie)
Paul (ataim)
Stone (StoneNYC)
Matt (MattKing)
Mike (mjs)
Reed (semi-ambivalent)
Birger (BirgerA)
Nicolas (Dali)
Bob (megzdad81)

TheToadMen
08-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi Eugene,
I'm curious what continents are participating? Could you make a simple head count?
Bert

BTW: I have 3 colour films off to the lab and 2 B&W films waiting for home processing, shot with my Rolleiflex T2 (6x4.5 cm), my Bronica SQ-B (6x6 cm) and my new Kowa Kallo 35 mm rangefinder. And two more films almost full in my Leica III (from 1936) and my new Nikon F90x (= N90s in USA).
Surely I'll find something to print nicely and send somewhere around the world??

I have Bob (megzdad81) added to the list. We are about a week away from the end of the sign up period. If you are thinking of joining, don't wait too long!

Latest list:

anikin
08-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi Eugene,
I'm curious what continents are participating? Could you make a simple head count?
Bert

BTW: I have 3 colour films off to the lab and 2 B&W films waiting for home processing, shot with my Rolleiflex T2 (6x4.5 cm), my Bronica SQ-B (6x6 cm) and my new Kowa Kallo 35 mm rangefinder. And two more films almost full in my Leica III (from 1936) and my new Nikon F90x (= N90s in USA).
Surely I'll find something to print nicely and send somewhere around the world??

Sure, so far we have 15 in North America and 6 in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anikin
08-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Prasanna, welcome into the exchange!

Updated list:

Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Andrej (andreios)
Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
Marco (mesantacruz)
Mark (Mark_S)
Menno (spijker)
Katie (Katie)
Paul (ataim)
Stone (StoneNYC)
Matt (MattKing)
Mike (mjs)
Reed (semi-ambivalent)
Birger (BirgerA)
Nicolas (Dali)
Bob (megzdad81)
Prasanna (analoguey)

15 in NA, 6 in Europe and 1 in Asia.

JohnRichard
08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I may not be able to print until the first week of September. Extenuating circumstances. . .

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

anikin
08-13-2013, 11:57 AM
I may not be able to print until the first week of September. Extenuating circumstances. . .

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

That's not a problem John. You have until the end of October to send your print. And I know from the previous rounds that majority of senders take about as much time anyway :). And it's not a bad thing. We have only one print to send,
so I personally prefer to take my time to well make it better.

We have only couple of days left to signup! I will close the list at the midnight of August 15. I will send assignments during the week-end. We are getting close! Time to warm up my trusty old JOBO...

sage
08-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi! I'll join in on this again! :)

anikin
08-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Welcome back Greg!

We are now done with the signup and I will be posting status and comments thread shortly. The final list for this exchange is:

Eugene (anikin)
Bert (TheToadMen)
John (JohnRichard)
Edward (Ed Bray)
Ken (Ken Nadvornick)
Uwe (piu58)
Paul (paul_c5x4)
Andrej (andreios)
Kevin (Kevin Kehler)
Marco (mesantacruz)
Mark (Mark_S)
Menno (spijker)
Katie (Katie)
Paul (ataim)
Stone (StoneNYC)
Matt (MattKing)
Mike (mjs)
Reed (semi-ambivalent)
Birger (BirgerA)
Nicolas (Dali)
Bob (megzdad81)
Prasanna (analoguey)
Greg (sage)

I am starting to send out assignments via PM. If you did not get one by tomorrow, please let me know ASAP! Have fun printing!

anikin
08-18-2013, 01:23 AM
All PMs have been sent. Please check your address, and PM me if you have any correction, or if you have not received my PM.
You can add your updates on the STATUS and UPDATES thread, here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum182/122005-blind-print-exchange-round-18-bpx18-status-updates.html