PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering, August 9-10-11, 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

daleeman
07-25-2013, 08:53 AM
just made our Motelling reservation in Montrous.

jp80874
07-25-2013, 09:22 AM
just made our Motelling reservation in Montrous.

Second l is now optional.

Is Sue coming or is there a swamp fest somewhere for birders?

John

Lee L
07-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm hoping to make this one. I expect B will be out of town for at least part of the time, perhaps all, so I'll be keeping an eye on other family members and commuting. Watching for those curve balls like the other Lee. David is moving during that time, from a job in far northern California to a job on an island with no electricity that's about 1200 feet wide and 1.5 miles long in Nova Scotia. I don't think you can buy film on the island. Probably no SD cards either.

Lee

jp80874
07-26-2013, 06:14 AM
I'm hoping to make this one. I expect B will be out of town for at least part of the time, perhaps all, so I'll be keeping an eye on other family members and commuting. Watching for those curve balls like the other Lee. David is moving during that time, from a job in far northern California to a job on an island with no electricity that's about 1200 feet wide and 1.5 miles long in Nova Scotia. I don't think you can buy film on the island. Probably no SD cards either.

Lee

Lee,

Glad you plan on coming. Looking forward to more family details as they happen. Any photography in all of this?

John

daleeman
07-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Second l is now optional.

Is Sue coming or is there a swamp fest somewhere for birders?

John

When I let her know about the "Optional Second I" she said good. So I hope she does come. We have a new mouth to feed in the house. A baby African Gray Parrot. He is a hand full and has enough beek strength to break your little finger. He is 12 weeks old.

So we will have to find a cage sitter with no fear or a way to board the bird. A third option is bring the bird. But I do not know if the Hotel is good with that. He would make a very handsome model for portraits especially when it fires up those wings while sitting on a perch=.

jp80874
07-26-2013, 01:16 PM
When I let her know about the "Optional Second I" she said good. So I hope she does come. We have a new mouth to feed in the house. A baby African Gray Parrot. He is a hand full and has enough beek strength to break your little finger. He is 12 weeks old.

So we will have to find a cage sitter with no fear or a way to board the bird. A third option is bring the bird. But I do not know if the Hotel is good with that. He would make a very handsome model for portraits especially when it fires up those wings while sitting on a perch=.

Lee,

I would love to see a picture of the new mouth to feed. With three bird dogs I would be very much afraid if you brought it here even in the cage. You would be amazed what I have seen them rip apart to get at what they wanted. Please do not risk that.

John

Red Tractors
07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm bringing a 150MM lens/shutter I need help with, it's in some oddball Polaroid mount. I'd like to transfer it to my Toyo/Omega board.

jp80874
07-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm bringing a 150MM lens/shutter I need help with, it's in some oddball Polaroid mount. I'd like to transfer it to my Toyo/Omega board.

Bring it along. I can't help you, but we have some people who are quite good at piecing things together.

John

Red Tractors
07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Bring it along. I can't help you, but we have some people who are quite good at piecing things together.

John

Awesome, that's what I am hoping for. It's a nice lens and I'd like to be able to try it out. :cool:

Jeff Bannow
07-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Awesome, that's what I am hoping for. It's a nice lens and I'd like to be able to try it out. :cool:

Which 150mm is it? The polaroid Copals came in a size 0 & size 1 variety. If we know which lens we might be able to determine what size it is.

John, you have a lens spanner, right?

Red Tractors
07-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Which 150mm is it? The polaroid Copals came in a size 0 & size 1 variety. If we know which lens we might be able to determine what size it is.

It's a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 150/ F4.5 in a Synchro-Compur stuck in some kind of Polaroid copy camera mount.

I'll get digital images tomorrow.

jp80874
07-29-2013, 06:16 AM

I have the Rodenstock flat cutout of stainless steel spanner, the Grimes slot (like a standard screwdriver) and the Grimes pointed one.

I don't know if there are other styles.

John

Lee L
07-31-2013, 10:24 PM
No photography to speak of on my end recently. We've been doing a major house cleanout, and that's still ongoing. David has his cameras, but I'm not sure how much he's used them. I'll have a chance to ask him in about 10 days. He'll probably be arriving home about the end of next week. His emails aren't effusive, and I try not to annoy him. When he was 4 years old and his mom was asking him annoying questions about what he'd done during the day while she was at work, he realized what she was getting at and said, "I guess you can't live my life, can you?"

I did get a DSLR on a good sale, hoping to get back to some plans for a portrait business I had to abandon for family health reasons about 6 years ago now. The analog lab portion of that planned workflow has since shut down.

As things have developed the last few days, there may be some medical appointments over the weekend of the 9-11th that I have to take part in. The timing is out of my hands and we have to take the first available opening as it comes up.

Life in the slow lane.

BTW, there's a philosophy prof a few houses down the street who has an African Gray, maybe 15 years old or so. Don't know if he takes boarders.

Lee

Lee,

Glad you plan on coming. Looking forward to more family details as they happen. Any photography in all of this?

John

htimsdj
08-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Hello Friends -

I plan on attending on Saturday. I haven't taken many photos lately other than some snapshots from the trip to Ireland last month. I promise I won't bring all of them!

see you next weekend, Jeff

jp80874
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Hello Friends -

I plan on attending on Saturday. I haven't taken many photos lately other than some snapshots from the trip to Ireland last month. I promise I won't bring all of them!

see you next weekend, Jeff

Glad you are coming. Could the trip have been a honeymoon? If so Congratulations. We all hope it was and will be wonderful.

John, taking the liberty to speak for all of us.

daleeman
08-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Looks like Sue will stay back with Harvey the Parrot. I am looking forward to being there.
Just ordered my advance ticket from Hale Farm to stop in and see the Civil War Reenactment. Ticket was $ 10.00 and appears they want $8.00 a car for parking. Anyone interested in going there for a while on Saturday (car pool)

John did you once say that they were real adverse to tripods there at Hale Farm?

jp80874
08-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Looks like Sue will stay back with Harvey the Parrot. I am looking forward to being there.
Just ordered my advance ticket from Hale Farm to stop in and see the Civil War Reenactment. Ticket was $ 10.00 and appears they want $8.00 a car for parking. Anyone interested in going there for a while on Saturday (car pool)

John did you once say that they were real adverse to tripods there at Hale Farm?

Lee,
Sorry Sue will not be coming. Sorry the dogs and bird would have a compatibility problem. Thanks for mentioning the Hale Farm reenactment event. I had completely forgotten.

Here is a link to the page on Hale’s reenactment site.
http://www.wrhs.org/calendar/Camp_Hale_Civil_War?A=

Here is the address for GPS users
2686 Oak Hill Rd Bath, OH 44210

In the past they have not allowed tripods. Their logic was that using a tripod made you a pro (sic), who would make money from his shots (sic). They wanted to make the money.

My suggestion is to call them and make your best personal pitch. Maybe they allow them for special events. Maybe each person you talk to will give you a diiferent answer. There has been quite a change of management and an influx of money, so who knows. Give it your best shot. (330) 666-3711

John

jp80874
08-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I was just talking to Peter, asking if he would post some of the 8x10s he has taken down in the Flats. He says he will and mentioned his new interest. He has collected a few Carlton Watkins stereo photos from the 1800s. He says he will bring them, but he doesn’t have a viewer. Does anyone have a stereo viewer they could bring for some gentle Show & Tell?

John

ic-racer
08-02-2013, 04:42 PM
He has collected a few Carlton Watkins stereo photos from the 1800s. He says he will bring them, but he doesn’t have a viewer. Does anyone have a stereo viewer they could bring for some gentle Show & Tell?

John

I don't have a stereo viewer but I can bring my "Queen (http://www.brianmay.com/brian/magsandpress/SWvol30no1_04/villagefound.html)" records and a home-made guitar...

Lee L
08-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I have something that might work http://www.berezin.com/3d/cardview.htm , but it's increasingly likely that I won't make it. I'll see what I can do.

Lee

I was just talking to Peter, asking if he would post some of the 8x10s he has taken down in the Flats. He says he will and mentioned his new interest. He has collected a few Carlton Watkins stereo photos from the 1800s. He says he will bring them, but he doesnít have a viewer. Does anyone have a stereo viewer they could bring for some gentle Show & Tell?

John