PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering, August 9-10-11, 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Lee L
08-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Unreliable as usual... I am unlikely to make it as things now stand here at the ranch. Sorry to miss everyone again. Hoping for good weather and good light for all.

Lee (the one with no release from Hale Forms)

AnselAdamsX
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I've never been to Lakeview. Is it near the flats so you can do both in one day?

jp80874
08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
The Cleveland Art Museum has this exhibit.

Carrie Mae Weems: Three Decades of Photography and Video

Here is a review in the Akron Beacon Journal.
http://www.ohio.com/the330entertainment/exhibits/art-review-carrie-mae-weems-explores-race-gender-class-1.416303

jp80874
08-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Here is the address for Lakeview Cemetery. 12316 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH 44106

That puts you on the edge of Little Italy. Lots of interesting photography and eating. About a block from Little Italy the other direction is the Peter B. Lewis building of Case Western University, Cleveland's only and interesting Frank Gehry design.

If your not familiar with the building, here are some images.
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/ohio/cleveland/gehry/lewis.html

Chris. It is not far from the Flats, but you may not want to leave Little Italy, the cemetery, the food and Frank Gehry.

Red Tractors
08-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Put me down for dinner as well. Thanks.

djkloss
08-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Count me in for dinner too.

Peter Spangenberg
08-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I'll be there by 8 Mat! Jeff and Eva. I think they open at 7:30.

Hey Peter, what time you starting at Lakeview? Would definitely like to join you!

In other news, it looks like I may only be heading over for Saturday. :( Count me in for dinner!

AnselAdamsX
08-08-2013, 06:10 PM
That looks like a very interesting building.

Here is the address for Lakeview Cemetery. 12316 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH 44106

That puts you on the edge of Little Italy. Lots of interesting photography and eating. About a block from Little Italy the other direction is the Peter B. Lewis building of Case Western University, Cleveland's only and interesting Frank Gehry design.

If your not familiar with the building, here are some images.
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/ohio/cleveland/gehry/lewis.html

Chris. It is not far from the Flats, but you may not want to leave Little Italy, the cemetery, the food and Frank Gehry.

jp80874
08-08-2013, 06:56 PM
That looks like a very interesting building.

Peter B. Lewis is the founder/retired CEO of Progressive Insurance where Peter works. I'll wager he can tell you some stories.

Jeff Bannow
08-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Daniel und Silke are being losers and staying home this weekend. Guess I'll have to eat their portion of ice cream.

jp80874
08-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Daniel und Silke are being losers and staying home this weekend. Guess I'll have to eat their portion of ice cream.

Booooo!

daleeman
08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Rsvp for dinner on Sat. And breakfast on Sun.

Will get in late on Friday, crash in Montrous. Will scope out Hale early and if it looks like a cluster of tourists, i may cut my losses. Is anyone really set on going in? That is a deciding factor if others are going.

My cell is 937-294-3117

Lee

Red Tractors
08-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Should be in between 5-7PM tomorrow, camping in the Jeep. I bought some heavy duty bug repellant.

mjs
08-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I'll be there for Saturday night dinner.

Mike

djkloss
08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Booooo!

boo hoo! we will miss you! adam will miss you!

djkloss
08-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Rsvp for dinner on Sat. And breakfast on Sun.

Will get in late on Friday, crash in Montrous. Will scope out Hale early and if it looks like a cluster of tourists, i may cut my losses. Is anyone really set on going in? That is a deciding factor if others are going.

My cell is 937-294-3117

Lee

I've done my re-enactments a few years ago. It was fun then, using 35mm but the tourists & their children are a pain. It's a difficult thing unless you can corner someone into a portrait when no one is around to stare and ask silly questions.... imho ;) and then, there's the inevitable question. what do you do with the pics? However, I may change my mind and carry the hassy free-hand with the neck strap :0 eight-one-four-five-six-six-four-six-one-eight

dorothy

djkloss
08-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Chris, Thanks for offering the Sinar bits. I donít know if anyone else here has one. Mine is an 8x10 and has spent much of its life here as a very expensive paper towel rack. I had bought it to expand on the 4x5 macro work I did for two series. Perhaps the next cold winter we have that will become attractive again.

Peter, Thanks for posting work from the Flats. That area has given both of us many photographic subjects for at least a year. If any of you havenít been there it is at least worth a look. It has changed every week we have gone there and been a great subject source.

Lee & Jeff, As I encountered, Hale Farm is not very tripod friendly. The only person I know who has gotten around this is Robert Pucket, who has shot 8x10 wet plate, essentially period one off portraits of the costumed actors in each building. He becomes part of the period show and canít reprint his images. Good luck with your efforts.

I asked for myself in 2008-9 when I had my 15 month, 30 image, 7x17 show at the parent museum, Western Reserve Historical Society. They had no interest in my continuing at Hale even though they liked and paid for the canal pictures.

Dorothy, You are welcome to come, with or without work. Next time though we want to see the gum bichromate experiments. I havenít heard anything from Dan and Silke. Jeff, have you heard anything? They are always fun and welcome.

I have two UV light source boxes. 11x14 from Bostick & Sullivan http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/product.php?productid=30&cat=17&page=1
and an Ameragraph V28 1200 watt mercury vapor plate burner. I donít remember which I showed you, but I will be happy to show what I have.

Looking forward to the weekend and our enjoyable visitors. You all come. I have grass to mow, a porta potty to order and doggies to pickup from the Labrador sitter.

John

I think you probably showed me both, but it will be good to see them again.

djkloss
08-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Eva & I will be there for dinner.

:) as in "like"

djkloss
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
I've done my re-enactments a few years ago. It was fun then, using 35mm but the tourists & their children are a pain. It's a difficult thing unless you can corner someone into a portrait when no one is around to stare and ask silly questions.... imho ;) and then, there's the inevitable question. what do you do with the pics? However, I may change my mind and carry the hassy free-hand with the neck strap :0 eight-one-four-five-six-six-four-six-one-eight

dorothy

oops! four-six-six-eight!

Jeff Bannow
08-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I'll be there by 8 Mat! Jeff and Eva. I think they open at 7:30.

We'll meet you there around 8am then. Any particular place we're meeting? Should we exchange phone #s?