PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Creatively - When It Happens/When It Doesn't & Why?

DF
08-04-2013, 01:19 AM
When I'm out and about in and around the city, or of course anywhere else. I notice so many instances/scenes that would make great photos. This is usually when I'm WITHOUT my camera. When I've got my gear with me, "this" doesn't happen ( not merely as much)
What's going on here?
Is creativity a phantom, a jinn, or genie that evades human control?

stradibarrius
08-04-2013, 06:46 AM
I can relate...maybe we're trying to hard???

jkwhinfrey
08-04-2013, 07:10 AM
The camera's a distraction, it's easy to worry about the technical issues and stop seeing what's around you. Sometimes I find myself missing the really obvious because my vision is impaired by the camera clamped to my face ;-)

Worker 11811
08-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Get a cheap-ass point and shoot digital camera and carry it with you at all times when you don't have a real camera.
Throw it in the glove compartment of your car, keep it in your knapsack or your coat pocket. If you have an iPhone, use that.

Whenever the creative spirit hits you, snap a digipic. When you get home, download the pictures and look at them. When you see them on the screen, decide if they are really what you wanted. If they are, pick an appropriate day and time to go back and shoot with a real camera.

Back in the day, lots of pros and serious amateurs carried instamatics, Polaroids or single-use, disposable cameras to do the same thing. Now you can do the same thing with a digicam.

Nobody said digicams weren't good for anything. Just not for serious pictures.

Gerald C Koch
08-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I would actually go out without a camera but with a notebook to take notes of possible photos. I record a detailed description of the site and position of the camera, time of day, lighting, etc. Later I would revisit a site and take the pictures. As mentioned above you can really focus your creativity when you are not mentally weighed down by the camera.

benjiboy
08-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the wonderful World of photography.:)

DF
08-05-2013, 12:03 AM
I suppose when one consciously knows their camera is at hand, they're unconsciously not as free as they are when without.

Archimedes the Dog
05-15-2014, 08:45 PM
This is why I have spent a couple years obsessing over technical details and trying lots of equipment: I want to get to the point I have a comfortable device and the technical aspects are second-nature. I feel I freeze up in those.

yurisrey
05-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Sticking with the genie idea as a metaphor for photographic visualization, I like to put it back in the oil lamp so I can use it later. I recommend use a pocket memo, as Gerald recommends versus a digi cam. Generally from my notes I write down one photo op/idea and then by the time I go to take the photograph I've come up with half dozen or more ideas. Kinda' like one genie sprouting even more genies.

markbarendt
05-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I rethink many times the difference is "enjoying the world around you" vs "going out to take pictures".

The other thing I think is that many times what we see is a composite our brain puts together that no camera can match. For example I typically remember the moon being bigger than what ends up on film.

Alan Klein
05-15-2014, 10:05 PM
My wife yells at me when I want to stop the car and take a picture. :blink:

yurisrey
05-15-2014, 10:15 PM
I rethink many times the difference is "enjoying the world around you" vs "going out to take pictures".

The other thing I think is that many times what we see is a composite our brain puts together that no camera can match. For example I typically remember the moon being bigger than what ends up on film.

totally agree. A psychology prof of mine once gave an entire four hour lecture on how we tend to recall fond memories with more intense colors, sounds and smells.

silveror0
05-15-2014, 11:38 PM
My wife yells at me when I want to stop the car and take a picture. :blink:

Have you tried "Stifle it, woman!" and take the picture? Then be ready to duck.

dasBlute
05-15-2014, 11:40 PM

I also agree [+1], sometimes, it's like I have to surrender, to give up 'trying to be a *Photographer*' and just be a dude, walking with a camera.
No matter what, it eventually passes and the good work returns... at least so far... I think :)

-Tim

benjiboy
05-16-2014, 03:24 PM
I used to ask myself when my children were young what sort.of.picture's would Ansel Adams have taken if he had to trail a wife and two kids with him when he went our shooting.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Iluvmycam
05-16-2014, 03:48 PM
When I'm out and about in and around the city, or of course anywhere else. I notice so many instances/scenes that would make great photos. This is usually when I'm WITHOUT my camera. When I've got my gear with me, "this" doesn't happen ( not merely as much)
What's going on here?

Just how it is. Even with the cam we can't get em all.

cliveh
05-16-2014, 03:51 PM
If you had a camera with you, could you really record those great instances/scenes? The seeing and ability to capture with a camera are miles apart and that is perhaps the answer to your question of what’s going on here. Try to carry a camera with you more often take these shots.

MattKing
05-16-2014, 04:49 PM
I used to ask myself when my children were young what sort.of.picture's would Ansel Adams have taken if he had to trail a wife and two kids with him when he went our shooting.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

"Moonrise, Hernandez"?

Not a wife, and only one kid, but still :).