PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment - September/October: High Noon

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

NedL
09-27-2013, 04:24 PM
HOLY CRAP this is really good... umm ... I shouldn't even bother submitting now...

:D Thanks Stone! I hope you do though!

I was intentionally overdoing the pinhole features... so to me it's almost a caricature of a pinhole photo and a bit gimmicky. Though it was definitely fun to make. Instant film pinhole is very fun.

I've got three other traditional b/w film shots so far to develop and print and if any come out well I'm hoping to submit another MSA.

This has been really fun, it's almost like having a "background theme" for a couple months. I usually have a couple themes running through my photos at any particular time, but this one has been great because it got me out to do something I normally wouldn't try. It has been very interesting to pay attention to the shadows and light in the middle of the day. Also the air looking toward the horizon has a different character at noon and even if I don't catch it for MSA I'll be aware of it from now on.

StoneNYC
09-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Yup! Ned's pinhole is incredible. We can all just concede him as the winner, and jostle for second place.

Show us what ya got, Stone!

Ugh, I wish! Noon is not my friend... haha, that's when I wake up... LOL I am taking my girlfriend and her daughter to the Big E this weekend (a giant New England fair event) so maybe I can snag a shot then, but I doubt I'll be "allowed" to bring along the 4x5... so what's the point... LOL :)

NedL
09-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Stone you crack me up. We are almost opposites... I'm usually up before the sun rises, and already tired from working all morning by noon!

Well I've had a setback. I had 4 different noon shots that I was really looking forward to seeing, and I developed my film this morning. They were all shot with a 55mm micro AIS and half way through the roll I noticed the DOF preview was slow to respond. They are all totally blown out. I've had a feeling about this lens for a while but now the blades must be really sticking badly. 5 of the shots were 1/2s exposures with a blue filter at F/22, and the overexposure is so extreme that it bleeds over to other frames... I wonder how open it was for 1/2 second in full sun noon! There are also 5 perfectly exposed frames on the roll from using a different lens, but those were not for high noon MSA. There is only one MSA shot that looks like it might be printable, maybe, with difficulty ( only about 2 or 3 stops overexposed :blink: )

I might try again with another lens if I can find time for it. I like the idea I was aiming for.

StoneNYC
09-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Stone you crack me up. We are almost opposites... I'm usually up before the sun rises, and already tired from working all morning by noon!

Well I've had a setback. I had 4 different noon shots that I was really looking forward to seeing, and I developed my film this morning. They were all shot with a 55mm micro AIS and half way through the roll I noticed the DOF preview was slow to respond. They are all totally blown out. I've had a feeling about this lens for a while but now the blades must be really sticking badly. 5 of the shots were 1/2s exposures with a blue filter at F/22, and the overexposure is so extreme that it bleeds over to other frames... I wonder how open it was for 1/2 second in full sun noon! There are also 5 perfectly exposed frames on the roll from using a different lens, but those were not for high noon MSA. There is only one MSA shot that looks like it might be printable, maybe, with difficulty ( only about 2 or 3 stops overexposed :blink: )

I might try again with another lens if I can find time for it. I like the idea I was aiming for.

Ha ha, well fortunately today I had to get up early because my girlfriend slept over and she goes off to work very very early so I made it a point to get up and get dressed and be ready and so I'm ready to shoot now I just have to wait another two hours... Lol

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

TheToadMen
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Well,
I had a shoot-out at high noon and was able to fire 36 shots before I forgot to dodge the bullets and got burned:

74875 Cat nap at High Noon

74876 Escaped by the water at High Noon

(Nikon FM3a with 45 mm f/2.8P pancake lens, Fuji NPS 160 expired)

Side note: almost all images on this roll are effected like this. The lab says its a defect of the film/emulsion itself (the emulsion was sticky and got ripped while winding the film), but I'm not sure it if is a developing defect or not ... all the other films came out all right.

sly
10-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Another September image for "High Noon".
2 weeks camping in September, in mostly sunny weather, gave me the chance to work on this, when I wasn't swimming or basking in the sun.

"Shallow water, Sparkles, Hornby Island"

martinjames
10-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Yup! Ned's pinhole is incredible. We can all just concede him as the winner, and jostle for second place.

Well, we're only a bit over half way through the current MSA period. Plenty of time left! Surely, with all the talent hanging out at this site there must be at least a few others out there who will enter the fray...?!

NedL
10-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks to Bert for being a good sport and sharing his with us even though there was a development problem. I learned something from his example. My lens malfunctioned and the aperture was not closing down all the way... my shots are all very overexposed, but I am printing a few anyway. Noon out on the pasture here:
also a copy in the MSA gallery.
Have fun!

NedL
10-06-2013, 11:38 PM
"Shallow water, Sparkles, Hornby Island"
I like those sparkles... almost a zone plate kind of glow to them. Nice!

TheToadMen
10-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Since pinhole seems to rule within this assignment - and this role of film did not have developing issues (see my previous post #25) - I like to present my second shot of the fastest cat of the West at High Noon. He can move his head faster than the shutter of my camera.

camera: old Gevabox converted into a pinhole camera (6x9 cm negative)
film: Konica PRO 400 (expired)
shutterspeed: 30 sec.
developer: C-41 by a professional lab
scanner: Epson 3200 PHOTO & Silverfast software (no digital rework what so ever though)

TheToadMen
10-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I just scanned this image from a freshly developed roll. An other film I shot with my pinhole camera in the same week as the previous cat images. I had this Monthly Shooting Assignment in my mind when I shot four films with this camera in one week. But it was my holiday so it wasn't too difficult to plan a shooting window at some days at noon, without annoying the family too much.

I made this image with my pinhole camera from a boat on the water. It was cloudy and a little bit of wind rocked the boat softly.
I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out. The exposure was 40 seconds so I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but is has a nice hint of "Pictorialism". So (somewhat proudly) I would like to enter this image into this Monthly Shooting Assignment Sept/Oct 2013.

camera: old Gevabox converted into a pinhole camera (6x9 cm negative)
film: Konica PRO 400 roll film (expired)
exposure: 40 seconds
developer: C-41 by a professional lab
scanner: Epson 3200 PHOTO & Silverfast software (no digital rework what so ever though)

StoneNYC
10-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Finally shot something! :)

It was exactly at noon but there were clouds so the light was diffused not harsh... Does this count?

It was on my last (and only ever) ektachrome IR roll... :)

NedL
10-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I just scanned this image from a freshly developed roll.... Like that one a lot Bert!

TheToadMen
10-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Like that one a lot Bert!
@ Ned:
Thank you!

@Stone:
I would say just post it and await Martin's judgment like the rest of us ;-)

sly
10-11-2013, 10:41 PM
That's a gorgeous pinhole! Very inspiring!

Look forward to seeing yours, Stone. Nothing in the rules about bright sun!

StoneNYC
10-11-2013, 11:56 PM
That's a gorgeous pinhole! Very inspiring!

Look forward to seeing yours, Stone. Nothing in the rules about bright sun!

:) off to the lab tomorrow! (Decided it'll be too long to wait if I do it myself).

gsgary
10-15-2013, 12:17 PM
This one was about 1.45 because we had sat down for a picnic on the rocks

http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Other/Black-and-White-Film/i-bK5C8wF/0/XL/Scan-130929-0019-XL.jpg

TheToadMen
10-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Here is a second pinhole landscape for this assignment. Made with the same camera and film as the previous landscape (= post #31 above) on an other day during my holiday week with even more overcast weather (at about noon). This one is made from the shore of the lake - handheld exposure for 40 seconds.

I like to make handheld images with this camera. It is an old Gevabox camera - the square model:

I took (= broke) out the the black focusing ring and the glass lens element and put in a pinhole on the inside of the body.
It makes 6x9 cm negatives on 120 roll film with a nice focal length. And because of its size & model it is easy to make handheld longtime exposures.
Sometimes with a nice blur effect, sometimes uncanny sharp. I love pinhole photography.
For other handheld examples (from Worldwide Pinhole Photography day 2013 - WPPD), see: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl/2013/05/pinhole-images-for-wppd2013.html (not intended as submission for this assignment, but just for fun and promoting pinholing).

(BTW: Martin said: "please post your entries (one or multiple okay)" but if I post too much in this assignment please let me know. I'm just excited that this assignment made me make some real images again.)

martinjames
10-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Bert from Holland, multiple entries are definitely okay, as many as you like!

Well, we have had some very interesting submissions! And still 2 weeks to go...

sly
10-18-2013, 02:09 PM

One more from me. Taken right at noon, with my a Harman Titan 8x10 pinhole and lith printed on Fomabrom.