PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment - September/October: High Noon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

martinjames
09-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Okay, now we shift from the night (previous MSA) to the light of day. Recently I was reading some text about photography and encountered the usual statements about the best light occurring in the early and late hours of the day. True, but... screw that. Our next MSA is "High Noon". (Also inspired by my recent viewing of the classic, original version of "3:10 To Yuma" - a very "High Noon"-ish Western in some regards. And one of the most strikingly photographed Westerns, ever. Check out the recent BluRay release from Criterion).

Please create new pictures, shot between 12 noon and 1 pm (or as close as possible... honor system in effect here, of course.) in your locale. Isolate interesting patterns created by the noon-day light and architecture, perhaps purposely exploit characteristics usually associated with harsh ("bad") overhead lighting (deeply shadowed faces and such), whatever. (And, for the conceptually minded... if you can come up with a photograph that somehow conveys the plot points of the famous "High Noon" movie - a lone hero, up against impossible odds, deserted by all the other townsfolk, except the loving companion - without being too literal in the interpretation - well, step right up, partner!)

Color or monochrome is fine, doesn't matter.

Preferably, please post your entries (one or multiple okay) in the MSA Gallery.

Have fun!

sly
09-06-2013, 06:27 AM
I like your assignment, Martin. Our fall rains have started already, but there should be some more sunny days. I'll do my best. Or maybe a noon photo from a gray and overcast day?

Here's a high noon shot from a number of years ago. A long time favorite of mine.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=25834&catid=member&imageuser=17089

MattKing
09-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Great idea Martin.

Here is the link to the guidelines thread, for those with questions: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum195/111897-monthly-shooting-assignment-guidelines.html

And shouldn't the "window" of times be 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.:D?

TheToadMen
09-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Congrats on winning by night time!

I'll see if I can join this round, if I can get up this early ...

NedL
09-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I keep thinking I'll try this one of these days, and I really like your assignment. Hopefully I'll get out and do this one! :)

sevenup4500d
09-06-2013, 08:49 PM
so thank you for the information on

mooseontheloose
09-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Great concept! Hopefully I'll come up with some ideas to be able to contribute (I always want to for the MSA, then find I've run out of time!)

martinjames
09-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Great idea Martin.

And shouldn't the "window" of times be 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.:D?

Good point... oh, well... as long as it's generally around the noon-time area!

martinjames
09-06-2013, 11:13 PM
I like your assignment, Martin. Our fall rains have started already, but there should be some more sunny days. I'll do my best. Or maybe a noon photo from a gray and overcast day?

Here's a high noon shot from a number of years ago. A long time favorite of mine.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=25834&catid=member&imageuser=17089

Hey, Sly, I like your linked picture!
You know, it occurred to me that this assignment might be viewed a bit differently by people in various parts of the world who may already be entering a season less conducive to the types of imagery usually associated with the "high noon" idea (i.e., bright, harsh, overhead light). But, perhaps this will lead to some even more interesting interpretations. In any case, everywhere in the world the clock reaches 12 noon at some point in our earth's rotation... let's see what we can see (and photograph)!

It's evident you have a good eye. I look forward to your submission(s)!

martinjames
09-06-2013, 11:20 PM
NedL, you are in Sonoma County. It's beautiful... there must be many interesting photographic motifs available!
I'm counting on you! Let's do this.

martinjames
09-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Congrats on winning by night time!

I'll see if I can join this round, if I can get up this early ...

Hey, Bert. You can do it! Have a stiff coffee or two...

martinjames
09-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Great concept! Hopefully I'll come up with some ideas to be able to contribute (I always want to for the MSA, then find I've run out of time!)

Hi there, I hope you are able to join in this MSA! You have almost 8 weeks, so start shooting now.
I look forward to seeing your submission(s) from beautiful Japan!

NedL
09-16-2013, 12:49 AM
OK so here's an entry that I made today. It's from my homemade instant film pinhole camera. I have several other ideas and I've spent some time scouting around and finding good places for them, but I'm not sure we are going to see any more of the good hot days they will need and the noon sun isn't as high now as it was a couple months ago. We often get into a pattern of morning fog this time of year. So I'm still hoping to make a print, but this way I've actually made a submission! I hope everyone has as much fun with this as I'm having.
I also put a copy in the gallery for MSA.

NedL
09-16-2013, 12:53 AM
P.S. Darned power lines!!!! :(

polyglot
09-16-2013, 01:19 AM
It's a good topic for those that like shooting IR!

martinjames
09-16-2013, 11:31 PM
All right, NedL has submitted an awesome first entry into the current MSA!

Who's next...?

Bertus
09-18-2013, 04:06 PM
I Try to shoot a high noon picture, good topic, thanks!

sly
09-27-2013, 01:07 PM
It's in the gallery, but I'll out it here too, for non-suscribers.

My first MSA entry. High Noon at the Car Show. There should be a few more for this round.

StoneNYC
09-27-2013, 03:08 PM
OK so here's an entry that I made today. It's from my homemade instant film pinhole camera. I have several other ideas and I've spent some time scouting around and finding good places for them, but I'm not sure we are going to see any more of the good hot days they will need and the noon sun isn't as high now as it was a couple months ago. We often get into a pattern of morning fog this time of year. So I'm still hoping to make a print, but this way I've actually made a submission! I hope everyone has as much fun with this as I'm having.
I also put a copy in the gallery for MSA.

HOLY CRAP this is really good... umm ... I shouldn't even bother submitting now...

sly
09-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Yup! Ned's pinhole is incredible. We can all just concede him as the winner, and jostle for second place.

Show us what ya got, Stone!