PDA

View Full Version : Center filter available or needed?

nsurit
09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm in the process of getting rigged up with a Toyo 45 A camera, Shen Hoa 617 back and Schneider 90mm f8 lens. The lens is is in the 14399XXX range with multicoating. Question is is a center weighted filter available and/or needed? The obvious answer is for me to go shoot some film and see what I think and I'll do that. Would like to hear others experience with this or similar set up. Thanks in advance, Bill Barber

Ian Grant
09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
A center filter's not needed, it has a marginal ipact, when you use a 75mm or 65mm they are needed for critical and particularly colour work.

I use a 75mm f8 SA on my 617 camera and shooting B&W have no need for a center filter.

Ian

jetcode
09-20-2013, 09:37 PM
I am using a center filter (Rodenstock IIIB) on a 75mm nikkor for B/W and color. I find on the 6x17 that there is some light falloff in the sides and I want a nice even exposure. The 110 and 210 no filter. Each lens has oodles of image circle.

David A. Goldfarb
09-21-2013, 08:09 AM
If you are shooting slide film, you'll notice the difference with and without the filter, using a 90/8 S-A on 6x17 (I used the same lens with a Da-Yi 6x17 back). At that point, it's a matter of taste, lighting, and how important the detail is at the edges of the frame. If the main subject is in the center of the frame, then some falloff can make a stronger composition. If you want to put the subject at the edge of the frame or make a more narrative image that reads from left to right, a center filter gives you more options.

Jeff Searust
11-29-2013, 03:32 PM
There will be falloff at the sides but a filter is not needed. In the end it's all a matter of taste.

Some people will tell you it's needed and the planet will fly out of its orbit and the end will be upon us if you don't use one...;) other people (like me) will tell you not to bother... Take your pick.

LJH
11-29-2013, 04:09 PM
If you are shooting slide/positive, and you want even exposure, you'll absolutely need one.

Even my 120mm has noticeable falloff toards the edges. My 90mm f5.6, with its larger image circle, needs the CF.

If you only believe one thing that I write, believe this: it's easier to add the look of falloff in post than remove it!!

sdzsdz
03-18-2014, 09:35 AM
With slide film, exspecially such difficult ones as Velvia 50 I need a center filter. As far as I know the right one for the SA 90mm /8 is the Schneider Centerfilter IIIa (older model) or IIIb (newer model). I have now used my SA 90mm /8 on 4x5 with a Centerfilter III what is orriginally designed for the 75mm SA and had very good results.