PDA

View Full Version : How noisy is a Widelux?

Trask
09-25-2013, 08:54 AM
I've got a Horizon 35mm panoramic camera; one time I took it to a wedding, took a photograph of the couple exchanging vows, and the seemingly non-stop whirring and buzzing of the Horizon caused half the attendees to turn and stare. I've read of photographers being able to fire off a Widelux without the subject really being aware. So while my "loud" may not be your "loud," if you've used or been near a Widelux would say it's likely to draw attention for being noisy? FYI, I've got GAS and am looking at a Widelux F6. If someone has a nice one for sale, I'd be interested to hear from you.

Jesper
09-25-2013, 09:29 AM
The Widelux isn't that loud but I've never tried it during a silent moment in a church with stone walls. It is well worth a try

AgX
09-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Trask, have you thought about making a blimb?
Even with modern DSLRs a blimb is still used in delicate situations.

gordrob
09-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Compared to a Horizon 202 the Widelux is quiet. I have had a Horizon and now use a Widelux 7 and the sound that comes from it is only a muted whirring(?) as the lens swings. Everybody in the room knows when you trip the shutter on the Horizon

Colin Corneau
09-25-2013, 10:42 AM
I've owned a Widelux F7 -- I think you'd be alright in that situation. It's not what you call a loud camera.

Not rangefinder quiet, but quieter than a Horizon for sure.

Trask
09-25-2013, 11:38 AM
AgX: I've heard of blimps, but I'd probably not really need one most of the time. Something quieter than a Horizon would do the trick for me, and as folks have noted, a Widelux is. Something for me to cogitate on...

europanorama
06-29-2014, 04:14 AM
the newer horizons(not 202) are less noisy. i think one of the s-versions is s for silent(if i dont err). i would get a noblex 135.