PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 30 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

drpsilver
10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
29 Oct 2013

I have received some very nice cards. My comments follow in no particular order (how the pile ordered its self).
"Being Followed" by Jim17x is a very nice perspective on the world. It is nice to see that it is not a policeman. Nicely composed and printed.
The card from Mark_S makes me want to go back to Niles and photograph. Good range of tones and really sharp. Well done.
It is hard to believe the subject of Peter Schrager's card is from Downtown Los Angeles. I would have thought Japan. Neat perspective on those playing the games.
The card "Be the Art" from mjs has a story. Having been involved in "paint fights" they can be very fun, and the resulting clothing is unique. This woman looks like she is having fun.
It is nice to see Sly back in the PCE. "Evening at the Cardboard House" must have a story behind the image. Lots of possibilities to imagine.
The card from piu58 of Steibs Hof is very nicely photographed. The matt paper fits the subject very well. I can almost feel the roughness of the stone.

Thanks to all for some really nice images.

My cards are on the drying racks, and hopefully will be mailed by weeks end.

Regards,
Darwin

ozphoto
10-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Have received 3 more cards in the past couple of weeks:

Welcome back Sly! "Evening at the Cardboard House"
Peter Schrager's "Downtown Los Angeles"
mj's "Be the Art"

All wonderful cards which show a full mix of styles and subjects, and that's what makes the PCE such a blast!:cool:

Peter Schrager
10-30-2013, 02:55 AM
glad to see my cards are getting where they need to be !!
best, Peter

ozphoto
10-30-2013, 04:25 AM
Mark S's card arrived today - "Engine #2"; welcome to the PCE Mark, great to have you on board! :)

sly
10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 3 cards last week and 2 today.

"Being Followed" Jim17x - really like the unusual viewpoint and framing.
"Be the Art" mjs - a lovely relaxed, happy, and paint-smeared artist.
"Game Arcade" - Peter's glimpse into a world I'm not familiar with. Is the boy someone you know?
MarkS's beautifully printed locomotive arrived today, as did TXFZ1's "Angry Angel" - softly lit, and not THAT angry.

Glad to know my cards are getting to their new homes. Looking forward to checking the mailbox daily for more treats.

JimO
10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
have accumulated a small batch of enthusiastic 30 rounders... to start...

mark_s "steam engine", a cyanotype, very gutsy for 1st time participant! i like it , and it arrived relatively unscathed in the post!
jim17x "being followed", very ominous, (an i being paranoid?), especially w the look-a-like police car in front - sign of the times?!:confused:
sly "evening at the cardboard house" - whimsical, lyrical, greating seeing as HIE, and well-done!
squiggle? "pitcher window" - can feel the delicate pitcher, light and beatiful - functional... well photographed and printed.
peter schrager "game arcade" - with the silk finish, gotta look onto it and wander around!
mjs "be the art" - yup, fun, captured well... nothing like being a kid again! the joy and abandon shows!
ozphoto "stonehenge" - drama! and that bird(?) makes the shot! how'd you get it there?;)
rudiger "baltic sea" - now that's a superb image, great use of pinhole cam, great seeing, wonderful composition... wow
piu58 "steib's hof" - nothing like it in florida! i want to move right in! time for a trip back to germany!
craig cross "sunset in mau" not approved by the tourist bureau:laugh: i can feel the wind! nice print!

thanks to each of you for the enjoyable and thought-provoking images. i appreciate your hard work.

jvo

TXFZ1
10-31-2013, 01:03 PM
have accumulated a small batch of enthusiastic 30 rounders... to start...

mark_s "steam engine", a cyanotype, very gutsy for 1st time participant! i like it , and it arrived relatively unscathed in the post!
jim17x "being followed", very ominous, (an i being paranoid?), especially w the look-a-like police car in front - sign of the times?!:confused:
sly "evening at the cardboard house" - whimsical, lyrical, greating seeing as HIE, and well-done!
squiggle? "pitcher window" - can feel the delicate pitcher, light and beatiful - functional... well photographed and printed.
peter schrager "game arcade" - with the silk finish, gotta look onto it and wander around!
mjs "be the art" - yup, fun, captured well... nothing like being a kid again! the joy and abandon shows!
ozphoto "stonehenge" - drama! and that bird(?) makes the shot! how'd you get it there?;)
rudiger "baltic sea" - now that's a superb image, great use of pinhole cam, great seeing, wonderful composition... wow
piu58 "steib's hof" - nothing like it in florida! i want to move right in! time for a trip back to germany!
craig cross "sunset in mau" not approved by the tourist bureau:laugh: i can feel the wind! nice print!

thanks to each of you for the enjoyable and thought-provoking images. i appreciate your hard work.

jvo

squiggle? here :D Thank you for the comment on my photo of the pitcher.

I am very relieved to see my postcards are being delivered.

So far, the delivery order has been

jim17x "being followed", Wonderfull composition and tonality
piu58 "steib's hof", love to wonder around this photo
peter schrager "game arcade", I can also look at this photo and discover new things
mjs "be the art", beautiful portrait of someone having such great fun
sly "evening at the cardboard house", love the portrait of tree , one of my most difficult subjects
mark_s "locomotive #2", wow,

I look forward to opening the mailbox and my fridge is getting crowded. This is my first exchange and such great fun!

David

Black Dog
11-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I loved 'Be the Art ' too:D

piu58
11-05-2013, 12:24 AM
I received two more cards:
A cyanotype print of an old steam locomotive from marks_s. Very fine shot! This card encourages me to try cyanotype ba myself. The card survived the transort fine, only a blotch in one of the corners, obviously from a drop of water.
rince sent me a fine print (in the double sense of the word) from his beauty - a flower. Thank you very much. Taking photos really helps to see more and to see more intense.

piu58
11-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Again two cards: Krishna by drpsilver:I love these fine shadows of grey! And Downtown Los Angeles form Peter Schrager, a slightly enigmatic image. Thank you"

Pilami
11-06-2013, 01:37 AM
It is really an nice change to get home and find another beautiful postcard in the mailbox!
This time I received
Krishna by drpsilver,a really interesting picture, nice contrast between the lively trees and branches and this solid wall, I really like the thougtful and serene mood
and rince sent Beauty - first thing I liked was the wonderful black background, then I liked the rest very much ;-) its a great picture - stunning
I'm feeling a littler pressured to get my cards out because I received so many already, hope this weekend the weather will be bad enough to get me going!

mjs
11-06-2013, 04:03 PM
In no particular order, here's what I've received so far:

"Krishna" from darwin. Pensive, with lovely sunlit tones. It's gloomy and rainy here, so a spot of sun is appreciated!
Locomotive, from Mark S. Solid, industrial Art Deco. Mmm -- my favorite art period!
"Pitcher Window" from TFZ1. Lovely light, a classical shape. Wheee!
"Evening at the Cardboard House" by Sly. Infra-red landscape that glows in the dark! Well, it seems like it should, anyway! :)
"Steibs Hof" from piu58. Enjoyed very much, thank you! How fast do you suppose one could drive a carriage through there?
"Being Followed" from Jim17x. Makes me feel like southern California for some reason. I have an Olympus Stylus I got for $3 from a charity store I use for the same sort of thing. Strangely, although very different, your photo reminds me strongly of Linda McCartney's photograph of Paul through the rear-view mirror I saw in her Roadworks show here in Elkhart back in 2000. Lots of fun!

Mike

anikin
11-09-2013, 01:05 AM
I have finally printed and mailed my postcards. It's been a lot of work, but I'm happy it's done! Sorry about being late.

Here's what I have received so far:

Piu58 - Leipzig old town. A photo of a very beautiful gate printed on a nice Emaks paper. I love European architecture and you have picked a fine example of it.

Jim17x - Being Followed. A pretty cool snapshot. Very difficult to take. You've got a great eye!

Peter Schrager - Game Arcade. Interesting composition, near abstract. At first glance, I thought it was taken somewhere in Tokyo!

Mjs - Be the art. Oh, wow! What a portrait! Just super!

TXFZ1 - Kleb Garden. Beautiful contact print of a garden.

Mark_s - cyanotype of a train. Wow, that's a lot of work - making so many cyanotypes! The print came in perfect condition, and it is very beautiful!

Sly - oh, HIE shot! I love infrared photos. And this is a very fine example of one. I am so upset that I have never got a chance to shoot HIE film. I love your print!

Rince - beauty. A fantastic macro shot of a flower. Thank you!

Drpsilver - Krishna. Wonderful quiet mood. It is a very nice and relaxing shot. I like it very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

piu58
11-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Dear anikin - the FujiFlex paper is incredible! And teh night market too. Thank you.

Black Dog
11-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Very chuffed with all mine so far:D

sly
11-15-2013, 10:01 PM
4 more cards to put up on my board:
"Krishna" from drpsilver - very moody
"The Olga Store" - from steel bar - archetypical small town store, and the story behind it.
"Beauty" - from rince - lovely lighting on a flower cluster - something from the onion family, I believe
And, just yesterday - "Mann Mit Hat" - from pilami - my favorite, so far. Mysterious, mundane, and beautifully printed. Would love to see the rest of the series.

megzdad81
11-15-2013, 11:19 PM
I swear I'm working on mine--I was in test print mode last weekend, and it's supposed to rain this weekend.

I'd have been done long ago, but Sly beat me to it with her wonderful HIE IR image, so I have to save mine for later. Trying 5x7 Delta 100 this time. The first test took 14 minutes to BEGIN to bring up an image in Lodima Contact paper, so I guess maybe the image was a little over-exposed ...

Found ONE LAST ROLL of HIE IR in the freezer last week!!

MJS -- "Be The Art" -- love it, but would love it better in color! She looks just like an Indiana girlfriend I had at Purdue in '70. Fond memories of friends and fun.
Anikin -- "Taipei Night Market Delight" -- I don't know how you guys do the color. My hat's off to you I can only barely manage the B&W ...
Jim17x -- "Being Followed" -- I know you have to be in the right place at the right time with the right setup, but I'd really liked it if the mirror almost filled the frame. there was too much distraction with the other car and trees and sidewalk. Well caught, tho, if you were driving and one handed it!
Sly--'Evening at the Cardboard House' -- Very very nice. I plan to use mine in the spring in the Smokiess, and i'm waiting for those cool green spring leaves snfpslr flowers.
PUI58--'Steib's Hof is verynice . I rememeber places like that in London, but ornate
Darwin--"Krishna" -- The what is it and what is it doing? My mind tells me it's the image of a down-and-out
peter -- Downtown LA Game Arcade--I'll bet the guy never knew you were there.

Kc2edh
11-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Just finished printing all mine tonight! They'll be mailed out after my hands fall off from all the writing haha. So many nice cards have come in so far, here's everyone who I've gotten:

Mann mit Hut - pilami.
Taipei Night Market Delights - anikin.
Be The Art - mjs.
Steibs Hof - piu58.
Evening at the Cardboard House - sly.
Game Arcade - Peter Schroger.
Being Followed - Jim17x
Kleb Garden - ?
ALCO #2 - mark_s
Krishna - Darwin
Beauty - rince.

Can't wait to see the rest!

anikin
11-17-2013, 02:08 AM
I have received a most exquisite card from Katrin. It certainly makes an intriguing
story. It would be very interesting to see your book. By the way, never in my life i have seen a jacket made of camel hair! Your card is a real treasure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MattKing
11-19-2013, 03:30 PM
My cards have finally made their way into the postal systems - Canada Post for the Canadian destinations and the US Postal Service for all the rest.

There are two different cards. One, titled "Roots" for half of the recipients and the other, titled "Locked" to the other half of the recipients.

No particular rationale for who gets which one, other than to make sure bluejeh and bluejeh2 don't end with the same one :).

The cards I've received so far are great, and deserving of individual comment. That is coming soon!