PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 30 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Black Dog
11-19-2013, 04:00 PM
No worries Matt:D!

BoxBrownie
11-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Posted mine the other day but had a bit of a shock. The international postcard price had jumped from $1.70 last round to $2.60, ninety cents!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

MattKing
11-20-2013, 01:46 AM
So far I have received nine excellent cards. I’ve been slow in commenting, but hope to catch up here.

piu58-“Steibs Hof”-An impressive edifice well photographed and printed in a way that emphasizes its weight
sly-“Evening at the Cardboard House”-This photo glows. It doesn’t surprise me that sly has an affinity for HIE, given the success she has with lith
mjs-“Be The Art”-Does an excellent job of incorporating energy and movement. Well printed.
TXFZ1-“Pitcher Window”-A very nice contact print of an atmospheric setting
Mark_S-“Locomotive - Niles Canyon Railway”-A strong shot showing intriguing detail
Steelbar-“Olga Store”-Geometrically intriguing, and very well printed
drpsilver-“Krishna”-Draws you in, and makes you wonder. Excellent print
rince-“Beauty”-Another excellent contract print - great impact
anikin-“Taipei Night Market Delights”-The first colour card of the round. An interesting scene printed on interesting media

Nine down, with fifteen to come.

Thanks everyone for participating.

kraker
11-20-2013, 02:17 AM
A post just to let all of you know that I'm not missing in action. I hope to print my cards the coming weekend. Have received a bunch of beautiful prints already, will comment on them soon.

mooseontheloose
11-20-2013, 08:42 AM
A post just to let all of you know that I'm not missing in action. I hope to print my cards the coming weekend. Have received a bunch of beautiful prints already, will comment on them soon.

Likewise. This has been a busy fall, and it seems that I haven't had any free time since early September. Things will settle down in a couple of weeks when I hope to get into the darkroom.

In the meantime I've received a lot of great cards, which I hope to comment on soon.

Pilami
11-20-2013, 12:27 PM
It is really fun to come home to such nice surprises like

anikin-'Taipei Night Market Delights' - great to get a coulor-postcard, that alone was unexpected! Love the setting and the paper, seems a very inetrersting and busteling place to go!

Tyzzi ? - Kleb Garden - what a unusual sight, I like this dominating pole and the strong diagonals that are created by the viewpoint

Mark_S - unbelievable, a real cyanotype! I never laid hands on a real one, I am absolutely stupefied by this wonderful work, I cannot imagine how much time the printing took - absolutly great - thanks!

Katrin

Pilami
11-20-2013, 12:35 PM
@sly and anikin:

Thank you very much for your very warm and encouraging comments! I am rather shy with showing my work and was unsure, if I should put the book about the 'Mann mit Hut' up for everyone to see (had some rather heated discussions with my photo-pals in those last days...).

Not least to your reactions to my card I decided to dare this leap and be courageous. If you want to read the whole story you can find it at the blurb bookshop 'Eine kleine Geschichte vom Mann mit Hut' - I think 'Mann mit Hut' shoul suffice as well.

So I want to thank you very much for this shove!!!
Katrin

piu58
11-25-2013, 12:23 AM
I just received Trout Brook Club. It is alway interesting to look for traces of the past. Thank you, Ryan (kc2edh)

Black Dog
11-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Me too-one of my favourites so far from this round.

piu58
11-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Yesterday I found the card Locked in my letterbox. I love the mix of material shown in very subtle shades of grey. Thank you, Matt King.

Pilami
11-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Yesterday I received 'Trout Brook' by Kc2edk. It is quite mysterious, although there is no real clear evidence that this club is closed or not longer existing I get the disinst feeling of something out of the past.Gerat mood, i like it very very much.Katrin

kraker
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Okay, time for some overdue comments on cards received so far.

First one this round was Lilian Sly. Evening at the cardboard house. Not sure I can match the title to the scene, but… I like both, especially the photo. Good to have you back on board, Lillian, and great to see this beautiful HIE shot.
TXFZ1, pitcher window, you caught the light perfectly, the pitcher has an almost silvery glow to it. Great still life.
Mark_S, locomotive detail, another beautiful print, well composed, great.
mjs, be the art. I can just keep looking at this print. Great fun was had, that is what the picture breathes, I feel like I was there just by looking at it. Goes to show that even a colorful event works out well in B&W.
drpsilver, Krishna, contemplative, tranquil, serene. A soothing and calming print in a busy world.
rince …and another calming print. Beauty. Great detail (obviously), well executed. Usually, taking photos like these is not really a calming activity. That is… if you do it outside, where the wind constantly moves your subject subtly out of focus. But… the calm is there, thanks.
anikin, Taipei night market delights. This breathes the atmosphere of such a market (as I imagine it to be; never been there, but with this print, I feel like I'm there, just for a while). As others mentioned, great paper, I really like it. Comparable to the look of Ilfochrome as I remember it.
Kc2edh, Trout Brook, maybe my comments get boring, but all I can say is that this is yet another lovely shot and great print. Lovely atmosphere, it all matches.

That's what I have received so far. Just a small note; not all cards included the number of this exchange, so I hope I have attributed them all correctly.
Great cards so far, looking forward to more!

As for my contribution: I printed my cards last weekend, on old Agfa Brovira paper. The next morning, they were all curled up, so they are now spending some time beneath a big, heavy stack of books. So I ask for just one or two more weeks of your patience. I might decide to send them in envelopes anyway, depending on how curly they still are next week.

sly
11-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks Kraker. The photo was taken at the Cardboard House Bakery. A unique and wonderful place on Hornby Island. The story behind it's name is here: http://thecardboardhousebakery.com/our-story/.

George Nova Scotia
11-28-2013, 04:47 AM
Lots of great cards so far, I hope to comment soon. Not much time left in the offical print and send portion. I had hoped to print last night but mother nature had other plans. Nasty mother nature!

Round 31 sign up will start Jan1st 2014!

Black Dog
11-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Hangovers permitting hehehe...

kraker
11-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Lillian, I'm glad I asked, because as it turns out, there is a story behind the title. Thank you for sharing that.

JimO
12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
yup, officially, i'm late.

i completed my printing, toning, etc. (except for 6 cards), and will print labels this week, and have ALL in the mail by a week from today - at the latest.

i could give some legit excuses - two new grandchildren, at opposite ends of the country - both born within 30 minutes of each other! truth is, i did procrastinate. i hope your tolerance is rewarded with an image worthy of the delay!

jvo

mooseontheloose
12-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Me too. Hoping to finally get some darkroom time in this weekend. I haven't forgotten about you all!

Black Dog
12-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Everything's big in Japan:whistling:

Oxleyroad
12-03-2013, 05:11 AM
I've been slow to print and comment this round. Prints done, will be posted Wednesday 11th when I can next get to the Post Office.

Comments will be made for all of the great cards received so far before Xmas. Right now flat out ensuring I have employment next year...