View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 30 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Black Dog
12-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Me too....interview/trial tomorrow:D

12-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Three more postcards made it to my mailbox:

Steve's "Morris Dancers in Flight" Great atmosphere! You can almost hear the music from the accordion and the fun all around!

Ryan's "Trout Brook". Notice. A sad story about the hunting clubs. Why is it happening?

Matt's "Roots". Very unusual look of a dry stream bed.

12-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Three more postcards made it to my mailbox:

Steve's "Morris Dancers in Flight" Great atmosphere! You can almost hear the music from the accordion and the fun all around!

Ryan's "Trout Brook". Notice. A sad story about the hunting clubs. Why is it happening?

Matt's "Roots". Very unusual look of a dry stream bed.

Thanks anikin.

It is actually a slope that has fallen away from the base of the trees above.

12-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I just received Olga store from steelbar. That is an image I would like to see bigger. Lots of details,fine printed. Thank you.

12-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Okay, no one believe me, but i printed my postcards about a month ago... not that it changes the fact that i just sent them today :-)

12-12-2013, 04:36 PM
More cards arrived since I last posted:

"Taipei Night Market Delights" (Anikin): the only color print so far. Makes me hungry!
"Mann mit Hut" (Pilami) Oh, yeah! There's something just so 'right' about this picture to me -- the coat, the hat, the textures, the tones... Makes me intensely interested in your photo novella. Wish I could see it.
"Trout Brook" (Kc2edn?) Postal markings sometimes obscure the title or name, etc. Not complaining -- to me it's part of the postcard esthetic. I really like that old door, with generations of handprints and fingerprints on it. The sign, for some reason, reminds me of my maternal grandpa, a machinist and farmer who would have spent all his time huntin' and fishin' if he could have gotten away with it... Wish I had a picture of the fishing boat he built in his basement. He intended all along to cut it in half to get it out and built it with that in mind. It was, he said, just too cold to build it in the garage and besides, grandma would have been mad if she had had to spend the winter parking outside in the driveway!
"Waterfall near Skagway Alaska" (Anthony) What an enchanting scene and darn sexy pile of rocks! The woods at the top fading away into the mist gives an air of the kind of mystery I always find in falling water. Beautiful tones, too. My wife appropriated this one and asked whether we can go to Alaska next year. No, dear. The TV show 'Northern Exposure" was not a documentary. :)
"Morris Dancers in Flight" (Box Brownie) Is there a Germanic flavor to this festival? I'm guessing from the costumes and from the extensive beer signage behind the dancers. You sure caught the right moment!
""Roots" (Matt King) Another picture that makes me want to ditch the computer and head out into a woods for the afternoon. I wonder what keeps the trees from sliding down the mound of dirt, or toppling over? Very cool!
"The Olga Store" (Steelbar) Another one my wife wanted to appropriate for herself before I'd gotten a good look at it! I sense a quintessential photograph but exactly how mystifies me. I'd like to go there and see for myself. Sandy would like to go with me. :)
"Washington and Jefferson" (James O'Gara) Horizon line all askew, playing games with drawing and perspective. Makes me think of one of my favorite movies, "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers" for no particular reason I can think of other than in the movie the alien baddies destroyed both of these monuments. Fun!

Thanks, everyone! This is shaping up to be a whopper of an exchange!

Black Dog
12-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Posted out 20 odd cards yesterday wowsers!

12-15-2013, 01:25 AM
I got a XMas card from George Richards. Thank you!

12-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Mine will be posted by Tuesday.

12-17-2013, 02:10 AM
I received 'Olga Store' from steelbar last week, perfect tonality, I like the melancholy and yesterday George's Christmascard arrived - ;-) - nice chap! - and to be honest, I have never seen a border like this, I did not know that something like that existed - thanks!

12-17-2013, 03:03 AM
My cards were -finally- posted yesterday.

This morning, there was an item on the news about today being the busiest day of the year in the sorting centers of the Dutch post. I sure hope the international cards don't get lost between all the holiday greetings, I'm hoping for the best!

Will soon comment on the newly received cards.

12-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Yesterday i got Washington and Jefferson by James O'Gara. It is the first sepia toned print I ever hold in my hand. Thank you!

12-23-2013, 02:41 AM
I just received a great card from Mardan. It shows an open but nearly impassable door. Fine shot, thank you!

12-24-2013, 04:16 AM
Some of mine went our on the 11th as promised, the balance, more than half went out today.

Merry Christmas everyone :-)

12-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone,

Apologies for being late this round. The cards are finished, but I don't have any labels or stamps, and as I'm off to Bali early tomorrow it looks like I won't be able to mail them off until I get back in January. So, they're coming, they'll just be late!

12-24-2013, 09:38 AM
I received one of the fines postcards ever - Bald river falls from Bob Slaughter. Bo wrote he had problems to get the high contrasty scene on paper but the result ist awsome!

What a nice xmas surprise.

Black Dog
12-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Me too-top effort!

12-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I apologize for taking so long to comment on the postcards I have received. I had cataract surgery on December 18--it was amazing how quickly it came on. Also very scary, what with photography being my artistic outlet. I will do better in the future, now that I can see again.

1. Jake Williams—“a moment observed”—wonderful picture, Jake. Reminds me of sitting with my father while we were getting ready to fish.
2. George Richards—“snowman”—interesting found moment, George, and my wife was really surprised by the Kodak format for the printing. How do you actually do the contact printing-do you make the contact and then expose the pictures separately, or do you expose the picture through the mass?
3. Marco— “sea spray”— I hope you weren’t so close you got sprayed yourself I like the picture I like the sharpness of the capture of the spray, and I like the tonal variation across the picture.
4. Ryan— “Trout Brook Club”— I really like this picture it provokes the thought of you having to open the door to get into the Trout fishing area— it’s not every park that you enter through a wooden door.
5. Steel bar— “the Olga store”— thank you for the nostalgic look at Orcas Island. I have become conscious in the last few years of what a poor student of history I was. Now I’m finding that things are disappearing faster than they ever came about, and I can’t keep up. I guess the same thing could be said about film photography, but I hope not.
6. Mark S— “locomotive detail”— wonderful photo. Your reference to the Niles Canyon Railway caused me to look it up on the Internet. When I got there I found a photo of what looks like the same engine with horns from a 14 point buck mounted on the front of the engine above the light and it looks like it says Quincy Railroad. I couldn’t tell if it was someone’s picture of a engine from somewhere else, or if it was part of the railway. If not, what a coincidence!
7. Dennis (rince)— ‘Beauty’-- I agree with you about beauty in detail, but I have not tried it with my 4 x 5 yet. So much to do, so little time. Work keeps getting in the way. What was the film?
8. Dennis— “Kleb Garden”-- your postcard said Rose Hill, Texas but when I look up Kleb Garden on the Internet, it says it’s in Tomball, Texas. What interesting names we encounter in our travels and postcard exchanges. Thanks for the image.
9. Jim O— “Washington and Jefferson”— interesting approach to the memorials. I have never tried toning, myself. There’s not a lot of contrast in the image even with the clouds is a saw result of toning? Judging from the sky you had a glorious day.
10. Katrin— “Mann Mitt Hut”— another very unique photo. Wonderful tonal range, wonderfully sharp, I really like all the textures. You didn’t mention what kind of paper this is, or film? Thanks for a wonderful image.
11. Matt King— “Roots”— what an interesting find! To tell the truth, my overactive imagination caused me to look in the image for a hobbit hole … I’m sure there’s one there! Naturally, I looked it up on the Internet, and after finding there was a watershed Park in Olympia, WA, I figured out your Watershed Park is near Vancouver, Canada-- both areas I love to visit. Thanks for sharing.

12-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey folks, our postcards are almost ready. Will be in the mail on Monday! bluejeh and bluejeh2

12-27-2013, 09:02 PM
"le roziel", jake williams/black dog - nice print, great impact, raises a nice question - warm feeling

"bald river falls", bs - wonderfaul waterfall scene - classic and well done

"snowman", george richards/george nova scotia - right in season! a liottle long in the tooth tho'?!

"taipei nights", eugene anikin/anikin - thank god i ate dinner, i woulda' spent some nt$ were i there! delicious!

"beauty", dennis/rince, yup DOF! and can look right in and admire nature.

"cyanotype", mark_s/mark sauerwald - wow , a cyanotype, impressive and i'm very jealous!

"krishna", darwin/drpsilver, great technique, and thoughtful! what a photograph should be!

"morris dancers in flight", steve brown/box brownie, interesting story, intriguing...

"locked", matt king - detail, texture, and interest.

"trout broo", ryan/kc2edh - historic record and interesting with drama...

"mann mit hut", katiz - great photgraph - and can see where it would lead to a book!

great group of psotcards this round... thank you! happy new year.