PDA

View Full Version : Adox Variotone

Pages : [1] 2

payral
10-28-2013, 09:53 AM
I tried but no success to get Adox Variotone Glossy 5x7 size 100 sheets per box. Is it available in France or at least in Europe ?

pdeeh
10-28-2013, 09:56 AM
the Adox website says "If you are unable to find an ADOX product please contact our distributor FOTOIMPEX."

but in the UK Ag seem to sell some http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/adox-fine-print-variotone-premium-fb-149-c.asp

payral
10-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your answer but only 25 sheets per box in UK Ag.

David Allen
10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
As far as I am aware, it is not available in 5 x 7. However, my friend who contact prints from 5 x 7 negatives buys the 25 sheet pack of 11 x 14 paper from Fotoimpex:

http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotopapier/adox-variotone-premium-naturglanz-baryt-11-inchx14-inch-25-blatt-gradation-variabel.html

and simply cuts them in quarters.

Bests,

David
www.dsallen.de

payral
10-28-2013, 01:10 PM
On the Adox website 13x18 (almost 5x7) is listed.
http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX_Papers/page4/page4.html
11x14 size is not available on metric country.

miha
10-28-2013, 02:40 PM
It is available in 5x7 - have some in my darkroom - but only in packs of 25 sheets, regardless of the paper size. I would like bigger packs too.

ADOX Fotoimpex
10-28-2013, 04:39 PM
It is available in 5x7 - have some in my darkroom - but only in packs of 25 sheets, regardless of the paper size. I would like bigger packs too.

Miha, Payral,

when you say so what is your intention? Do you like the box so much and donīt want to fumble with the envelopes or do you expect a substantual savings in price?
It will tie up capital, storage space and other things to offer a second packaging size while the savings (= possible price benefit for the consumer) are very limited (probably below 1,5 EUR per box of 100). Thus I ask.

Kind Regards,

Mirko

miha
10-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Mirko, Boxes are more practical especially in smaller formats, I don't expect any savings at all. Still I won't complain as it's a wonderful paper so please do what is necessary to keep it afloat!

payral
10-29-2013, 02:51 AM

Pack of 25 sheets will be OK but it's impossible to find in France or even in Europe. I just could get MCC110 in that size.

miha
10-29-2013, 03:07 AM
True. Even Fotoimpex ran out of the glossy type in 5x7.

David Allen
10-29-2013, 03:46 AM
On the Adox website 13x18 (almost 5x7) is listed.
http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX_Papers/page4/page4.html
11x14 size is not available on metric country.

My friend lives in Berlin and 11 x 14 is available.

Bests,

David
www.dsallen.de

pdeeh
10-29-2013, 03:48 AM
Pack of 25 sheets will be OK but it's impossible to find in France or even in Europe.

The UK is in Europe. I've given a link to Ag Photographic who sell 25 sheet boxes of this paper

miha
10-29-2013, 03:57 AM
Ag is out of stock as well.

pentaxuser
10-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Miha, Payral,

when you say so what is your intention? Do you like the box so much and donīt want to fumble with the envelopes or do you expect a substantual savings in price?
It will tie up capital, storage space and other things to offer a second packaging size while the savings (= possible price benefit for the consumer) are very limited (probably below 1,5 EUR per box of 100). Thus I ask.

Kind Regards,

Mirko

I had always assumed that the savings in selling boxes of 100 sheets compared to packs of 25 sheets were substantial. Just have a look at the selling price of a 25 sheet pack then multiply it by 4 and compare it to the price of a 100 sheets box. The difference in price is massive whether it is Ilford, Fotospeed, Adox etc. Buying 25 x 4 packs is something close to 2.5 times as expensive as a 100 sheet box.

If the saving is as small as you say it is then either the manufacturers or the retailers aren't passing on the savings and making vast profits from 25 sheets packs or the price for 25 sheets is deliberately increased to persuade buyers to buy 100 sheet boxes which are much cheaper on a price per sheet basis.

pentaxuser

Sal Santamaura
10-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I had always assumed that the savings in selling boxes of 100 sheets compared to packs of 25 sheets were substantial. Just have a look at the selling price of a 25 sheet pack then multiply it by 4 and compare it to the price of a 100 sheets box. The difference in price is massive whether it is Ilford, Fotospeed, Adox etc. Buying 25 x 4 packs is something close to 2.5 times as expensive as a 100 sheet box.

If the saving is as small as you say it is then either the manufacturers or the retailers aren't passing on the savings and making vast profits from 25 sheets packs or the price for 25 sheets is deliberately increased to persuade buyers to buy 100 sheet boxes which are much cheaper on a price per sheet basis...
Perhaps the situation you describe is related to UK retailers. It's not the case here.

For example, 8x10 Ilfobrom Galerie from B&H:

25 sheets - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755255-REG/Ilford_1167999_Ilfobrom_Galerie_FB_Fiber.html

100 sheets - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/24712-REG/Ilford_1627707_Ilfobrom_Galerie_FB_DW.html

Four times the 25-sheet box price of $47.50 ($190.00) is 1.31 times the 100-sheet box price ($144.95). Nowhere near 2.5X. A fairly reasonable premium, in my view, for the extra packaging and stock keeping effort.

ADOX Fotoimpex
10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
True. Even Fotoimpex ran out of the glossy type in 5x7.
You are right. I digged it up (is this the correct past tense for dig?- dug?).
Due to extremely low sales on the small formats we decided to cancel 5x7 sometimes in 2011 before we started finishing the paper in our factory. Then things were changed but we did not (yet) re-introduce the small formats which we can do by now.
So it was never finished. I have now set it back up to live status -for now only as a 25 pack- so it will be finished with the next run and re-stocked.
Possibly we will also introduce a 100 pack then. We can now do these things even for 1 pack which was not possible before when our manufacturing was not up and running.
A price difference of 2,5 between 4x 25 packs as opposed to a 100 pack sounds odd to me and canīt be an ADOX price comparison.
We offer our products at very low prices if you look at our production costs. No one gets rhich here and no-one in the chain makes more than 20% which is essential to keep a business allive and running.

Mirko

miha
10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Great news Mirko. I also hope this paper will stay in your portfolio even after you'll release the Polywarmtone paper in the future.

ADOX Fotoimpex
10-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I also hope this paper will stay in your portfolio even after you'll release the Polywarmtone paper in the future.
There are no plans to drop one paper in favour of another. If we have enough demand to keep the paper allive we will.

Mirko

miha
10-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Mirko, I understand the Variotone is a house brand paper (Hausmarke) but don't quite usnderstand why it is not available trough more retailes like the rest of the Adox line. Is this one of the strategies to keep the costs low?

ADOX Fotoimpex
10-31-2013, 02:37 PM
I understand the Variotone is a house brand paper

I would not call it a house brand. Normally a house brand is a given product branded for other companies with their brand.
Variotone is a unique product produced only for us.
We also finish it which is a major part in the production.
However the company making the emulsion and coating it has raised prices to an extend that we had two choices:

1) Make it the by far most expensive paper in the world
2) Limit the amount of money a retailer can make on the paper to a number which is comparable to what he can make on other brands but less than what ADOX usually offers.

Some dealers understood others decided not to carry the paper under these circumstances.

Itīs a very low profit world we are living in if it comes to analog photography...

Mirko